ADVERTISEMENT

How bad will ISWho Clowns be next season?

Hans81

HR Legend
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2004
It probably depends if Brockington decides to return next year (perhaps he has already made that decision?). Without him, they have Hunter at point guard and ???? Is that former MN transfer...Gabe Kauscher (spelling?) returning? He was a very streaky shooter at Minny, so don’t think he would be that big of a loss for the clowns. Likewise, that Grill player (don’t recall his first name?) may be back too, but he’s nothing special. Otherwise, I believe they lost many of their players to portal or graduation. I suppose a lot will depend on how successful TJ Otz...is again in the portal? It would kind of suck to always need to rebuild your team every year via the portal, rather than just use it to supplement for specific needs.

They have a really good pg so I imagine they will be pretty good. Probably will pick up a couple of guys in the Portal. Brockington will be gone.

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
When you have a coach who can actually recruit the portal like they have, and doesn't have to give scholarships to walk-ons because they can't fill a roster, it doesn't matter much how much turnover they have at the end of the year because they can reload. It would be great if Fran could land some D1 transfers as well.

It probably depends if Brockington decides to return next year (perhaps he has already made that decision?). Without him, they have Hunter at point guard and ???? Is that former MN transfer...Gabe Kauscher (spelling?) returning? He was a very streaky shooter at Minny, so don’t think he would be that big of a loss for the clowns. Likewise, that Grill player (don’t recall his first name?) may be back too, but he’s nothing special. Otherwise, I believe they lost many of their players to portal or graduation. I suppose a lot will depend on how successful TJ Otz...is again in the portal? It would kind of suck to always need to rebuild your team every year via the portal, rather than just use it to supplement for specific needs.
Don’t do this! When we fail to advance past the first round and they again look at a Sweet Sixteen seat or better people will jump off cliffs.

When you have a coach who can actually recruit the portal like they have, and doesn't have to give scholarships to walk-ons because they can't fill a roster, it doesn't matter much how much turnover they have at the end of the year because they can reload. It would be great if Fran could land some D1 transfers as well.
Yeah, IDK. Fran did fill the roster pretty well - won 26 games.

If Pretzelburger doesn't do well in the portal then they are looking at a sub 10 win season.

If the Hawks could have added one more piece to the 21/22 season and made the S16, would anyone be ok if they won 9 games next year?

I'd be OK with more peaks and valleys in team performance, and roster turnover, if it resulted in a deeper NCAA tourney run. Unless they're winning the regular season conference title, I also have no problem with meh conference results if the team turns it on in the NCAA tourney. Of all the NCAA champs in my lifetime '83 nc state and '85 villanova are by far the two I enjoyed the most and who I would most like to see Iowa emulate.
Purely personal preference, but NCAA tourney performance is by a wide margin more important to me than any other team metric.

Purely personal preference, but NCAA tourney performance is by a wide margin more important to me than any other team metric.
Not me. I enjoyed every one of the 26 wins, especially those in the BTT, than I hated the Richmond loss. Did blowing out a tire in the NCAA's suck again this year? Absolutely, but winning the second most games of all time and watching the guy's happiness cutting down the nets at Indianapolis was very satisfying for me.

Not me. I enjoyed every one of the 26 wins, especially those in the BTT, than I hated the Richmond loss. Did blowing out a tire in the NCAA's suck again this year? Absolutely, but winning the second most games of all time and watching the guy's happiness cutting down the nets at Indianapolis was very satisfying for me.
And neither position is more or less valid than the other. And we can both be fans in our own way despite significant differences in how we evaluate the season.

If it works, why change? Never know how good they will be. However, they could be good enough to defeat Iowa, or maybe not.

I’ll try to be objective 😂. Losing Brockington the only consistent scorer off a team that even with him struggled to score hurts. The other losses up to this point probably will have little impact. Conditt gave effort and loved being at ISU but wasn’t that great. I think Tre Jackson and Jayden Walker probably transferred cause they didn’t see much playing time for them next year. Tyrese Hunter was good as a freshman point guard. Makes pretty good decisions and gets to the rim often but struggled to finish. If he can develop a jump shot and finish at the rim he will be very good. Kaleshure and Grill are both streak shooters, kaleshure especially when he was he was really on from 3 but good lord when he was off he would sometimes miss by 2 feet. Develop a decent mid-range game later in the season. Both are good defenders, Kaleshure (sp?) very good. Kunc a decent role player, Enaruna could develop seems to have potential. Have a transfer forward that they predict to be good named King I think. Three decent freshman but hard to count on them, maybe one of them will give good minutes. Really hard to say at this point, will be solid defensively I think but really need to find a decent big and a scorer in the portal. TJ has shown ability to find some pieces in the portal last year. Probably fairly similar to Iowa, some good pieces coming back but probably gonna need some help from the portal.

Reactions: skydog0784
I'd be OK with more peaks and valleys in team performance, and roster turnover, if it resulted in a deeper NCAA tourney run. Unless they're winning the regular season conference title, I also have no problem with meh conference results if the team turns it on in the NCAA tourney. Of all the NCAA champs in my lifetime '83 nc state and '85 villanova are by far the two I enjoyed the most and who I would most like to see Iowa emulate.
While I am not a Kansas fan, I enjoyed the Danny and the Miracles team.

After watching them patch together a team last offseason with some really average transfers, then make the sweet 16, I'm just going to admit I don't know sh** about projecting results anymore. The transfer game has completely changed everything about predicting college basketball teams going forward.

They'll get some new players from the portal with a little cash under the table like they did last year.

Brockington and Conditt are gone, as are Jackson and Walker. Kunc will be back, as will Jones, Grill, and of course Hunter. Don't know about Kalscheur or Enaruna..

A fairly highly regarded PF sat out this year after transferring, and the three freshman recruits sound pretty good.

A lot of things can happen, but I expect next year's team to be a lot more like this year's team than last year's team.

They'll get some new players from the portal with a little cash under the table like they did last year.
Who did they get under the table!? The kid from Denver, the roll player from Washington State, the bench warmer from Kansas, the kid who's recruitment and playing career has basically revolved around TJ, the dude from Minnesota that can't shoot, or the low double digits player from Penn State? Those are not guys you typically throw money at lol.

Reactions: NI hawk
After 1 season, I think TJ has created a lot of optimism. After a 2-22 season + basically bringing in a new roster, it was fair to say most ISU fans had low expectations this year. A 23-13 record + Sweet 16 aside, TJ got ISU back on track this season. Basketball was fun again! Time will tell how good they will be, but I have every reason to be optimistic.

I agree. There isn't a big difference in satisfaction level with finishing 3rd outright or in 3-4 way tie for 3rd, or 5th, or 6th in terms of satisfaction with B1G race....Iowa has been around there most of the time with Fran over past 6 years...upper half of B1G, but ellminated from Title contention by about half way mark of conference run.

I think Fran's reluctance/inablitiy to over-recruit exisiting roster players to upgrade posiitions and fill holes has limited the upside. The other issue is systematic---the Iowa program relies on Iowa kids/legacies, and those type of B-ball players are not meant to run a fast pace system and be successful at NCAA tourney level.

The only two years that I think were really outliers in excititement in Iowa B-ball were the 80 teams that finished 5th in B1G and got to Final-4 and the 87 team that finished 3rd in B1G but got to Elite8.

There is no doubt this year's group and Fran laid a turd in NCAA tourney.

As the roster sits right now a lot will depend on how well Eastern Kentucky/Georgetown transfer Tre King's game translates to the P6 level.

Who knows how good either team will be. So much uncertainty in college sports these days. I just hope that we can beat them at home next year and then maybe the recently re-emboldened clown fans (with some exceptions) will disappear again.

Who did they get under the table!? The kid from Denver, the roll player from Washington State, the bench warmer from Kansas, the kid who's recruitment and playing career has basically revolved around TJ, the dude from Minnesota that can't shoot, or the low double digits player from Penn State? Those are not guys you typically throw money at lol.
And don't go from 2 wins to 22 in one year without some shady shit going on. And crater face is not that great of a coach to have a 20 win turnaround in a year.

• Haha
Reactions: $ugar_$hane
PG is a stud. There have a few decent role players back. If they land a few in the portal, they will be really good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT