ADVERTISEMENT

How bad will our record be by the end of Dec?

CelticHawk

HR MVP
Gold Member
Feb 24, 2011
We have a brutal schedule.

We could 6 losses, easy. We could be out of the tourney before the BIG 10 starts.

I've given up trying to predict records based on upcoming opponent strength, the football team has shown it's pointless. The Hawks will probably be undefeated then.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
There are 13 games before the New Year.

Six "easy" wins.

Of the remaining 7, I like IA to split in NYC, beat Pitt and UNI, lose to MSU. The other 2 are ISU and Wisconsin, both at home. I think on a neutral court, we lose to both, but I'll say we win 1 of those at Carver. That leaves us at 10-3 heading into 2019.

But yes, it's not out of the realm of possibility to lose 2 in NYC, lose to WI, ISU and MSU, then drop one of UNI/Pitt and be sitting at 7-6 counting down the days until spring football practice starts.

We could lose to OU, UConn/Cure, Iowa St, MSU, and Wisconsin.

Btw, I hate this Big 10 schedule. Play them a after Jan.

Reactions: NI hawk
We could lose to OU, UConn/Cure, Iowa St, MSU, and Wisconsin.

Btw, I hate this Big 10 schedule. Play them a after Jan.

I think worst case we're 8-5 and best case 11-2.....

The initial premise of "could be out of the tourney before the B10 starts" is practically correct, but otherwise untrue. We could pee the noncon and two early B10 games down our leg and still win the B10 or tourney and be in......my guess is what "athrilla20" said above....10-3 is very possible.

Reactions: CelticHawk
There are 13 games before the New Year.

Six "easy" wins.

Of the remaining 7, I like IA to split in NYC, beat Pitt and UNI, lose to MSU. The other 2 are ISU and Wisconsin, both at home. I think on a neutral court, we lose to both, but I'll say we win 1 of those at Carver. That leaves us at 10-3 heading into 2019.

But yes, it's not out of the realm of possibility to lose 2 in NYC, lose to WI, ISU and MSU, then drop one of UNI/Pitt and be sitting at 7-6 counting down the days until spring football practice starts.
Pretty close to what I think. Anything less than 10-3 would be a little disappointing.

Why 12-1?
Little Bo and Joey dubwa will shoot lights out drawing defenders and opening up the lane for Moss to drive, Cook to get one and one and beat guys badly and Garza will own the post. If this team has improved AT ALL defensively, they will be a dangerous team especially with the depth they have at every spot and the combinations they can play.
Joey dubwa really scored 16 in the exhib. (they cheated him out of a basket) and could have put up 30+ easy on those guys if he wanted to and stayed on the floor. Can't wait to see him and little Bo together. Their BB IQ's are off the charts and Cook looks like he's finally figuring it out.
Moss may still be streaky, but not a problem as you just slide Joey dubwa or Maishie (who looks vastly improved) there if Moss decides to 'disappear'.
Play hard every minute (especially on D) and don't worry about fouls (plenty of depth) or getting tired, and this team should excel. Just an optimistic fan especially since I've know little Bo and Joey dubwa since they were little kids!

If you beIieve:

1. Each returning player has improved strength, better awareness and focus on defense, and motivation not to repeat last year.
2. Weiskamp greatly upgrades the Baer/Nunge/Wagner 3-spot from last year.
3. Cook takes the NBA advice, and improves several facets of his game.
4. Baer is the 6th man spark plug he used to be.
5. Bohannon, Moss, Daily, Baer all hit at about 40% from the arc.
6. The team plays as hard as it did against Michigan on a regular basis.

Then, 11-2, or 10-3 is very possible.

We have a brutal schedule.

We could 6 losses, easy. We could be out of the tourney before the BIG 10 starts.

We could lose them all too, but your prediction is pure nonsense. If you were talking about the 2008 or 2009 Iowa teams I'd be with you, but this team is going to be a lot better then you so called Iowa fans are predicting. I'm not going to predict the outcome of games in the future. No one has seen any of our opponents yet, so your going on pure speculation of past performance.
If Iowa had Joe Wieskamp last year their record probably would have been entirely different. I love Nicolas Baer a lot but he's not JW by any stretch of the imagination.

The closer to .500 this team is at the time stated below the more worried Barta should be that his job is in jeopardy. But then again, he may be at the only P5 school that he could have made the mistakes he has made and still have a job.

In my opinion, if this team is not a lock for the NCAA tourney going into the final week of play Fran deserves every bit of heat he will be receiving. No excuse at this stage of his leadership with what he is returning and with the experience they have.

I think 10-3 non con is a good goal. Anything worse and our chances for post-season lessen. 10-10 conference would put us at 20 wins which may be good enough for the NIT but probably no NCAA. Post season is a reasonable expectation for this year but even that is going to take huge improvement.

Reactions: kcgolfer and mick82
Have to win at home. We need to beat Wisconsin and ISU at Carver. I have us for losses vs. Oregon (but beating UConn), and at Sparty. The Badgers and Cyclones are big games for Iowa's tourney chances. Hell a decent B1G team might have 8 or 9 losses in conference play with 20 games.

Have to win at home. We need to beat Wisconsin and ISU at Carver. I have us for losses vs. Oregon (but beating UConn), and at Sparty. The Badgers and Cyclones are big games for Iowa's tourney chances. Hell a decent B1G team might have 8 or 9 losses in conference play with 20 games.
If we can handle their 'bigs', we can beat Oregon. Cook, Garza and co. will have to take their A games. I'd use Pemsl and Kriener to go 'hack-a-shack' on Wooten and Okoro. They both are about 50% type foul shooters. I think Pritchard and little Bo are a toss up, but I think we have an advantage with Moss and Joey dubya. Hopefully will be a good game for us!

Reactions: iabcuda
Do t even mention Iowa football. Im counting down the day untill Basketball, if we only make it one or two months being relevant Im going to lose it.

If you beIieve:

1. Each returning player has improved strength, better awareness and focus on defense, and motivation not to repeat last year.

This

If you beIieve:

The exhibition is just that, and you can’t take a lot away....but, the indication from that exhibition game seems to be a positive towards the majority of your list.

My thoughts are this after watching tonight.

I like the lineup of Dailey, Moss, Joe W, Cook and Garza. Yes, I know JBo is out but these 5 bring the best at both ends from a play and athleticism perspective.

Kreiner in for Garza is not bad in this group but he’s still a little awkward. Connor is decent not great but I like Dailey much more.

Reactions: perryhawk
I think I’d talk to Nunge about redshirting. I like him but we’ve got enough that he’s wasting a year this year when he could get 3 more to play with some spots opening.

I want to believe the team will be better.

I want to believe that list of items posted above.

But a lot of the players are the same. One is toxic in my opinion and I think this season will prove this.

The coach is also not good in my opinion.

I really do want to be wrong but I know nobody posting here will believe this sentence.

Reactions: iamahawki
In what world? What’s one thing he does better that you want from a guard?

Defends - can move his feet

Much better shooter

Can finish at the rim

Can put the ball on the deck and blow by someone

His length and quickness gets steals in the passing lanes

He rebounds

It’s not even close and I’m not coming from a perspective that Connor is bad, just not the better ball player.

If we can handle their 'bigs', we can beat Oregon. Cook, Garza and co. will have to take their A games. I'd use Pemsl and Kriener to go 'hack-a-shack' on Wooten and Okoro. They both are about 50% type foul shooters. I think Pritchard and little Bo are a toss up, but I think we have an advantage with Moss and Joey dubya. Hopefully will be a good game for us!

I'm hoping you are right!! I will be at the game in New York. Have never been east before so am gonna give it a go and get into Madison Square Garden and cheer on the Hawks.

Playing in the exhibition games prohibits him from redshirting.
I forgot we were talking about a sophomore. Nunge took of his possible redshirt by playing, while an incoming freshman could play and still redshirt.

I want to believe the team will be better.

I want to believe that list of items posted above.

But a lot of the players are the same. One is toxic in my opinion and I think this season will prove this.

The coach is also not good in my opinion.

I really do want to be wrong but I know nobody posting here will believe this sentence.
I dont really remember the comradery from last year. I do know they were not having fun at many points.
A few times where the team wouldnt even get excited after a big play. No high fives, nothing.

I’m betting more towards 8-5 or 9-4. We just do not have the athletes to hang w/ISU, OU, and ACC. I think we can beat Wisky though at home.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I’m betting more towards 8-5 or 9-4. We just do not have the athletes to hang w/ISU, OU, and ACC. I think we can beat Wisky though at home.

You might be right.....but Cook, Joe, and Isaiah (60% of our starting lineup) is pretty athletic. Maishe coming off of the bench is pretty athletic and the rest of the guys have the ability to be effective without being top flight athletes. Illinois has a roster full of athletes (at least they were last year when we beat them twice) and they are predicted as a bottom feeder in the B10.

In what world? What’s one thing he does better that you want from a guard?

I know it was just one game, but Connor didn't look good. And that was playing against a much less talented team that what we'll be against. If he's playing a lot of minutes we're going to be in trouble. While Joe is a definitely an upgrade, I'm just not convinced I saw anything different than last year. I was hoping to see someone try to penetrate the lane, but there was nothing. If someone can't penetrate against that team, then it's not going to happen against better teams.

For some reason it just seems like our team doesn't blend well together. They look like they've never played together before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT