ADVERTISEMENT

How bad will our record be by the end of Dec?

I know it was just one game, but Connor didn't look good. And that was playing against a much less talented team that what we'll be against. If he's playing a lot of minutes we're going to be in trouble. While Joe is a definitely an upgrade, I'm just not convinced I saw anything different than last year. I was hoping to see someone try to penetrate the lane, but there was nothing. If someone can't penetrate against that team, then it's not going to happen against better teams.

For some reason it just seems like our team doesn't blend well together. They look like they've never played together before.

LOL

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I know it was just one game, but Connor didn't look good. And that was playing against a much less talented team that what we'll be against. If he's playing a lot of minutes we're going to be in trouble. While Joe is a definitely an upgrade, I'm just not convinced I saw anything different than last year. I was hoping to see someone try to penetrate the lane, but there was nothing. If someone can't penetrate against that team, then it's not going to happen against better teams.

For some reason it just seems like our team doesn't blend well together. They look like they've never played together before.

When was the last time he played a basketball game while healthy?

Reactions: perryhawk

Since you have such a love fest for Connor, how about telling us what great things he did. If he's our PG, we'll have one of the bottom PG's in the B10. The fact you think he's better than Dailey, that's what's really laughable.

When was the last time he played a basketball game while healthy?

Think about what you're saying. Surely he's been playing in practice and games. If he hasn't then he shouldn't be on the floor.

I dont really remember the comradery from last year. I do know they were not having fun at many points.
A few times where the team wouldnt even get excited after a big play. No high fives, nothing.

It's hard to get all too excited when you are getting beat decisively (which is what happened in Big 10 play). I really didn't see an issue of lack of camraderie. I did see a team that had no idea how to play defense.

Reactions: cleotishaywood

Connor looked good against Colorado last year...

As far as lane penetration, I distinctly remember Dailey driving and finishing with a smooth scoop left handed layup, Wieskamp driving and finishing at the hoop for either two or three of his shots, and Cook taking it to the hoop multiple times. Had we seen Bohannon there may have been some lane penetration there as well.

Finally, this was some of the best ball movement I’ve seen from this particular group of players. Didn’t see anybody holding it at the top of the key like we’ve seen in years past. Turnovers need to be cleaned up, but I don’t agree with the “look like they’ve never played together before” comment

Iowa will not lose to UConn. I think they will lose to Oregon. So that's a split.

I think Iowa will win one of ISU or Wisconsin. Obviously I have my preferences of which one that would be.

I think Iowa will lose to MSU.

I agree I think 10-3 is most likely.

Connor looked good against Colorado last year...

As far as lane penetration, I distinctly remember Dailey driving and finishing with a smooth scoop left handed layup, Wieskamp driving and finishing at the hoop for either two or three of his shots, and Cook taking it to the hoop multiple times. Had we seen Bohannon there may have been some lane penetration there as well.

Finally, this was some of the best ball movement I’ve seen from this particular group of players. Didn’t see anybody holding it at the top of the key like we’ve seen in years past. Turnovers need to be cleaned up, but I don’t agree with the “look like they’ve never played together before” comment

I'll give you the 3 or 4 times of taking it to the hoop. And I think Cook is trying his best to get to the basket. I agree that having JB might have helped the situation.

For the ball movement, it's just hard to tell based on the competition. The reason I say they look like they've never played together is partly because of the turnovers. To me they seem like they're just not sure where the other guy will be and if the guy can handle the pass. They also look like they're having to think before making the pass. At this point, they should know everyone's skill set and know where the other players will be and what to do in each situation. When we're double teamed, we tend to get a little lost. When we double team people, they get the ball to the open guy.

Reactions: youflog1hawk
I don’t have a love fest for Connor. I have a love fest for reality.

I think the reality is Connor is just a backup PG to come in for a few minutes a game. If he's the starting PG, then we're in trouble. I think Fran feels the same way. If he thought Connor was our PG of the future, then he wouldn't have worried about getting Carlton.

I'll give you the 3 or 4 times of taking it to the hoop. And I think Cook is trying his best to get to the basket. I agree that having JB might have helped the situation.

For the ball movement, it's just hard to tell based on the competition. The reason I say they look like they've never played together is partly because of the turnovers. To me they seem like they're just not sure where the other guy will be and if the guy can handle the pass. They also look like they're having to think before making the pass. At this point, they should know everyone's skill set and know where the other players will be and what to do in each situation. When we're double teamed, we tend to get a little lost. When we double team people, they get the ball to the open guy.
Personally, I thought that most of the passing turnovers were the result of forced passes rather than not knowing where other players are at. Also, I can think of several times that Iowa players dribbled it off their leg and it rolled out of bounds. Keep in mind that both Wieskamp’s charges count as turnovers as well. Even clean those up and you’re down from 18 to 12 or 13. Then it’s just a matter of not forcing entry passes. I think CM had an off game and was trying to do too much

Edit: oh and Hobbs and Ash each had a turnover. They won’t be playing when it matters (I hope)

Last edited:
Personally, I thought that most of the passing turnovers were the result of forced passes rather than not knowing where other players are at. Also, I can think of several times that Iowa players dribbled it off their leg and it rolled out of bounds. Keep in mind that both Wieskamp’s charges count as turnovers as well. Even clean those up and you’re down from 18 to 12 or 13. Then it’s just a matter of not forcing entry passes. I think CM had an off game and was trying to do too much

There definitely were times the ball was dribbled off a players leg or foot. I specifically remember that. I agree with the forced passes. I just think they're caused because players aren't aware of where others will be and also knowing the ability of the other players.

Maishe's drive: I was sitting just a few rows away when a small white unathletic looking Guilford guard (maybe #2) snuck in to steal a lazy in-bounds pass from Maishe under Guilford's basket. It clearly ticked Maishe off, and on the next possession, Maishe took it right by #2 for that pretty drive to the hoop. I think he could have done it all afternoon, if he wanted. I think the same Guilford guard earned the intentional foul just a little later.

I would like to see that ticked-off fire from Maishe more often!

It clearly ticked Maishe off, and on the next possession, Maishe took it right by #2 for that pretty drive to the hoop. I think he could have done it all afternoon, if he wanted.

He was playing against D3 players, I certainly hope he could take them off the dribble.

Reactions: SSG T
Think about what you're saying. Surely he's been playing in practice and games. If he hasn't then he shouldn't be on the floor.

He didn't play a single game last season while fully healthy. We still haven't seen what he can or can't do in a college game since this is the first time he's been healthy, on the court, in a game, in college. Can we save the didn't look good until he has played a couple of games, at least.

Now, if he "still" doesn't look good against Al State, or Pitt, I'll be there with you. And, unless JB can't go, Connor will be coming off the bench anyway.

He didn't play a single game last season while fully healthy. We still haven't seen what he can or can't do in a college game since this is the first time he's been healthy, on the court, in a game, in college. Can we save the didn't look good until he has played a couple of games, at least.

Now, if he "still" doesn't look good against Al State, or Pitt, I'll be there with you. And, unless JB can't go, Connor will be coming off the bench anyway.

I don't disagree with you. All I have is the one game to go off of. I actually don't expect him to be a superstar. I think he'll be a good bench player and that's why I said we'll be in trouble if he's the starting PG. No different than Baer. I love Baer, but if he's a starter then that means others are hurt or not doing well, and in that case, we're probably going to be in trouble.

I think the reality is Connor is just a backup PG to come in for a few minutes a game. If he's the starting PG, then we're in trouble. I think Fran feels the same way. If he thought Connor was our PG of the future, then he wouldn't have worried about getting Carlton.
Carton was a Top 40 player and instate PG. You go after him even if Ronnie Lester is your PG.

Reactions: skydog0784 and *33*
Defends - can move his feet

Much better shooter

Can finish at the rim

Can put the ball on the deck and blow by someone

His length and quickness gets steals in the passing lanes

He rebounds

It’s not even close and I’m not coming from a perspective that Connor is bad, just not the better ball player.
Daily is more athletic, but most of the rest remains to be seen. I think Daily is a valuable rotation guy, especially at the wing positions. I still don't know where you and others have gotten the idea that he finishes at the rim or that he puts it on the deck and blows by someone, because he hasn't, at least not against good teams. Almost every time he drives by his man, he pulls up and really doesn't do anything with the advantage he created. It would be great if that has changed. Based on the few games that Connor played last year, he has a much better understanding of how to run an offense.

Carton was a Top 40 player and instate PG. You go after him even if Ronnie Lester is your PG.

You're right, but lets be honest, We're looking for an upgrade at PG. While Connor is serviceable (and I'm glad he's on the team), we need someone better, or Connor needs to really step up his game.

It is likely that the football team will lose more games in November and December than the Basketball team.

You're right, but lets be honest, We're looking for an upgrade at PG. While Connor is serviceable (and I'm glad he's on the team), we need someone better, or Connor needs to really step up his game.

Until the team loses a game with Connor playing, it's hard for me to question whether he's worthless or not. So far the Hawks are 4 and 0 with him backing up the point guard position. I'd say that he's is learning his craft just as any redshirt freshmen is going through, playing so little games.
Even the vary elite players have their up and downs as they learn to play as this level.
It's not like Connor is a non-rated-walk-on thrown into playing because of injury or worse, players leaving the program as they did during the Lickliter years.
He's the coaches kid, get over it!!!

Until the team loses a game with Connor playing, it's hard for me to question whether he's worthless or not. So far the Hawks are 4 and 0 with him backing up the point guard position. I'd say that he's is learning his craft just as any redshirt freshmen is going through, playing so little games.
Even the vary elite players have their up and downs as they learn to play as this level.
It's not like Connor is a non-rated-walk-on thrown into playing because of injury or worse, players leaving the program as they did during the Lickliter years.
He's the coaches kid, get over it!!!

You do know I never said Connor was worthless, right? I have nothing to get over.

How's this for some of you posters, Connor and Joe that the best players in the D1 and we're going to win every game.

What exactly makes Dailey more athletic again?

Based on last season it appears that he could barely run and dribble at the same time.

I love my Hawkeyes and a 10-3 record in the 1st 13 games would have me very excited. Any thing better than that would be amazing.I can't fathom a 13-0 start.

I don't think 10-3 is likely, but it is possible. 8 or 9 wins I think is closer to what one would expect.

Fran is a .500-.600 coach, so 8-5 or 7-6 is what to expect out of him and his staff. How you cannot make any changes after last season says how much of a push over Barta is. It’s gonna be another hard to watch year of Iowa basketball and I hope Barta gets fired for his horrible management of all things Iowa athletics.

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
One game at a time from tonight s performance let see if we can get past the Phoenix

My thoughts are this after watching tonight.

I like the lineup of Dailey, Moss, Joe W, Cook and Garza. Yes, I know JBo is out but these 5 bring the best at both ends from a play and athleticism perspective.

Kreiner in for Garza is not bad in this group but he’s still a little awkward. Connor is decent not great but I like Dailey much more.
It is 4 games into the season and i was wondering if you want to reassess this. I ask because Joe W. seemed overwhelmed in NYC by better competition, JBo has been playing very well, Moss has made some bad decisions with the ball and Connor has been very good.

So, how did Connor look in NYC and how did Joe W. do there?

Reactions: LaoHawk
It is 4 games into the season and i was wondering if you want to reassess this. I ask because Joe W. seemed overwhelmed in NYC by better competition, JBo has been playing very well, Moss has made some bad decisions with the ball and Connor has been very good.

Wrong about Wieskamp. Just because he didn't score much doesn't mean he was overwhelmed. He contributed with defense and ball movement, played well. He will find his place in the offense. I am glad he isn't forcing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT