ADVERTISEMENT

How bad will our record be by the end of Dec?

It is 4 games into the season and i was wondering if you want to reassess this. I ask because Joe W. seemed overwhelmed in NYC by better competition, JBo has been playing very well, Moss has made some bad decisions with the ball and Connor has been very good.

Joe W did look overwhelmed on the offensive side with the speed of the game but I’m still predicting he’ll be a top player for us. Garza struggled mightily in an early stretch last year too and rebounded from that nicely. Joe can play but it should be noted he’s unselfish—- won’t try to do too much especially this year. He knows how to play and will adjust to better competition. He can already defend and rebound.

I would not say that JBO played stellar or even good ball in NYC compared to past performances. He made only a couple of baskets and even missed 2 FTs which was surprising. His defense is still the worst on the team. He’ll get his shot going at some point.

The real shocker was how good Connor was and how much better we played with him on the floor. He’s got to be our PG going forward for considerable minutes. The questions I had about his game he answered. Good sign, but I do expect some off nights too. Everyone has them.

Moss hit a few shots and I was shocked to see him in a defensive stance giving effort. That’s a good sign. Did not get as many minutes as I thought he should have. Maybe I missed something but I thought he played decently.

It stills feels like we are not using Dailey enough but that’s just me. Really like his overall game and abilities. Needs to see more time off the bench.

Baer —- just stick to energy, hustle and garbage plays. Take the occasional 3. Good news is he hit some FTs which he’s been bad at.

Garza playing very well. Goes without saying — inside and outside game.

Cook had his best game of the year against UCONN. Play within yourself TC and give the effort on the glass, transition and D.

Ryan K really playing well this year. Great to see.

Riley Till - nice surprise against Oregon. Sneaky quick and springy. Baer’esque impact.

Based on the past couple of games, Connor is one of our two best guards. I think he should get maybe 25 min/game, and be on the court with JBo about half of that time.

Joe W should get over half the minutes at 3, leaving about 30-40 min to split between Moss and Dailey at 2/3. I would play either more if they had a hot hand in a game and continued to play with energy on defense.

Depending on match ups, Baer could also take some of the 3 minutes, but he is better at 4. I still like to see Baer give a couple of 4-min spurts of energy each half.

Cook played better overall, especially on the defensive end, which is huge, than any time at Iowa. If he could just avoid those occasional brain farts that lead to really bad plays, he could be in line for some post-season honors. I think Iowa is better with Pemsl out of the rotation, although he could be a good insurance policy for any foul trouble or injuries.

At center, Luka and Kriener are a fine combination, with maybe a 25/15 split in minutes on average.

Really encouraging games in NYC.

Last edited:
Hopefully this team doesn't get over confident. It's only 4 games. They have to keep the effort up and focus on D. They could easily go back to being a poor defensive team. We saw the potential of this team in these 2 games. That's refreshing after last year. Hopefully they continue to give effort on the defensive end.

Since you have such a love fest for Connor, how about telling us what great things he did. If he's our PG, we'll have one of the bottom PG's in the B10. The fact you think he's better than Dailey, that's what's really laughable.

Do you still feel this way after the games at MSG?

We have a brutal schedule.

We could 6 losses, easy. We could be out of the tourney before the BIG 10 starts.

So, are you disappointed with the 4-0 start for the BB team? Should they have won their games by a larger margin?

Since you have such a love fest for Connor, how about telling us what great things he did. If he's our PG, we'll have one of the bottom PG's in the B10. The fact you think he's better than Dailey, that's what's really laughable.

Connor is much better than Dailey at running the point and it’s not even close. Dailey is our Swiss Army knife, able to play minutes at 3 positions if necessary, so he’s a very valuable guy off of the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT