ADVERTISEMENT

How Big 10s get seeded.

MVPFAN

HR Legend
Mar 10, 2003
Per Preusse on the Ohio site:

Rankings are Not supposed to be a factor. Last seasons record Not supposed to factor either. Rather THIS SEASONS big ten conference records are the main criteria. Furthermore:

...Seeds are based only on the head coaches votes.
...The big ten sends to each head coach every big ten conference teams record so coaches can use that info.
...Every head coach submits a ballot.
...No secret ballots. Every coach gets to see every submitted ballot.
...There is a pre-seed several days before big tens that can be appealed. Each head coach with a complaint gets to make his case. A re-vote can then occur if the appeal has merit. This is not often done. Pre-seeds usually stand.

So matches against conference opponents are big. That said the main thing I see here is if the majority of coaches feel a guy should be seeded at X spot then he is probably going to be there, ranking and all that other crap aside.

Brands said last Sunday that the seeding meeting is pretty funny as it gets a little heated between coaches at times, but overall, it ends up very fair.

big ten conference records are the main criteria

Except they are not. B1G teams don't wrestle everybody in the conference and teams also hold wrestlers out. This results in widely disparate records. Also this year Nebraska and Wisconsin had soft schedules that inflated their wrestlers B1G records, while Minny, IA, tOSU, and Penn State all had to face each other incurring losses.

Do you want coaches to argue that Abidin (9-0) should be seeded ahead of Stieber (8-0)? How do you compare Lawson (5-1) and Telford (7-2)? Does Studebaker (7-2) deserve to be seeded ahead of Burak (4-2)? Is a 3-0 record better than a 8-1?
The fact is that the coaches will use their own rankings and common sense to seed the wrestlers. Head-to-heads and conference records will then play a role in resolving disputes.

Re: big ten conference records are the main criteria

Originally posted by jammenz:
Except they are not. B1G teams don't wrestle everybody in the conference and teams also hold wrestlers out. This results in widely disparate records. Also this year Nebraska and Wisconsin had soft schedules that inflated their wrestlers B1G records, while Minny, IA, tOSU, and Penn State all had to face each other incurring losses.

Do you want coaches to argue that Abidin (9-0) should be seeded ahead of Stieber (8-0)? How do you compare Lawson (5-1) and Telford (7-2)? Does Studebaker (7-2) deserve to be seeded ahead of Burak (4-2)? Is a 3-0 record better than a 8-1?
The fact is that the coaches will use their own rankings and common sense to seed the wrestlers. Head-to-heads and conference records will then play a role in resolving disputes.
Agree 100%.

Originally posted by hawkiniowacity:
Brands said last Sunday that the seeding meeting is pretty funny as it gets a little heated between coaches at times, but overall, it ends up very fair.
He lays on the sarcasm pretty thick. I don't know if that was the case or not. He is also a big believer in you get what you earn. Take care of business on the mat and the seeds take care of themselves.

This post was edited on 2/28 8:15 AM by hawkeyesports92

Looks like the cold-snap sweeping the nation has finally made Hell freeze over....................... I agree with jammenz.

Originally posted by sloehawk:

Looks like the cold-snap sweeping the nation has finally made Hell freeze over....................... I agree with jammenz.
Oh My.............How True!

I was on the road to hell myself................until I started noticing all the Mn. fans along the way..........and I turned back.
wink.r191677.gif

Many of the posters on here are secret Gopher fans. They look at a Black & Gold singlet and it looks Maroon & Gold.

Many of the posters on here are secret Gopher fans. They look at a Black & Gold singlet and it looks Maroon & Gold.
OOPS.........looks like SPOONERS deep dark secret just got exposed.....
wink.r191677.gif

i thought the Gopher's dress looked either White/Gold or Black/Blue?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT