ADVERTISEMENT

How big is Stickley?

Definitely big enough for 133. Pretty sure he wrestled 133 last year and it is a pretty good cut to make 125 this year. 133 should be perfect for him next year.

Any reports on how Stick does against Glynn (also seems to have significantly upped his game since last year)?

IN fact, if Lee goes this year, I would imagine he would try for 133 THIS year. I cannot disagree with Lax in leaving the 'shirts on. Then next year looks something like this:
125 Lee
133 Stick (or Murin?)
141 Turk (or Murin)
149 Lugo
157 Kem-Dog
165 Bull
174 Young / Jo-eey
184 Ca$h (or Cook?)
197 Warnerov
285 Strollin' Sammy Stoll

As always, if you're name or the name of a loved one isn't on this list, I would love to be wrong.

Last edited:
IN fact, if Lee goes this year, I would imagine he would try for 133 THIS year. I cannot disagree with Lax in leaving the 'shirts on. Then next year looks something like this:
125 Lee
133 Stick (or Murin?)
141 Turk
149 Lugo
157 Kem-Dog
165 Bull
174 Young / Jo-eey
184 Ca$h (or Cook?)
197 Warnerov

As always, if you're name or the name of a loved one isn't on this list, I would love to be wrong.
Id add a slash at 141 for Murin.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
Stickley, Spencer, Max and Warner all need to redshirt this year. We aren't going to be a contender anyway. Stickley at 133 and Murin at 141 is the way I see it shaking out next year. They could both surprise a lot of people.

Reactions: StParis and wasdt21
Well they wrestled Stickley unattached yesterday can they still red shirt him this year?

Hmmm, beat and broken? Never. Realistic? Always. I don't let my black and gold glasses fog over reality.

Huh?

Black and gold glasses because I want to see the best team on the mat year in and out?

Being content with a potential ninth place finish sounds like something that would come from a broken fan.

Quit looking at the clock and wrestle.

Hmmm, beat and broken? Never. Realistic? Always. I don't let my black and gold glasses fog over reality.

How do we have a better chance of winning next year than this year? Only people we gain are Cassioppi and Brands. We lose Sorensen and Downey.

PSU only graduates Retherford. If shirts are pulled this year and the stars align, Iowa can win it this season.

Edit: And PSU adds a massive recruiting class.

125 Lee
133 Stick (or Murin?)
141 Turk
149 Lugo
157 Kem-Dog
165 Bull
174 Young / Jo-eey
184 Ca$h (or Cook?)
197 Warnerov

Solid take, and thanks for spelling Warnerov's name correctly for a change.

Huh?

Black and gold glasses because I want to see the best team on the mat year in and out?

Being content with a potential ninth place finish sounds like something that would come from a broken fan.

Quit looking at the clock and wrestle.

First, I was talking about MY black and gold glasses, not yours.
Second, Lee needs to get completely healed. Stickley needs another year, whether it is at 125 or 133 to be ready for a whole season and Warner is a top 6 through round of 12 guy this year. Next year he starts the season around #3 and is a title contender by the end of the year. Pretty easy to see why these kids need to redshirt.

Reactions: MVPFAN
First, I was talking about MY black and gold glasses, not yours.
Second, Lee needs to get completely healed. Stickley needs another year, whether it is at 125 or 133 to be ready for a whole season and Warner is a top 6 through round of 12 guy this year. Next year he starts the season around #3 and is a title contender by the end of the year. Pretty easy to see why these kids need to redshirt.

Ok. Sorry.

Btw, Warner might start out as a top six but I’m betting hex would be higher ranked than that if allowed to compete and develop on the mat for the entire season.

But the other teams will have the same bigger, faster, stronger athletes as well. The wrestling world doesn't stand still when we decide to take a year off.

You don't throw kids with great futures out there without a redshirt, when one would obviously be beneficial, because the coaches didn't do their jobs and have someone ready.

Ok. Sorry.

Btw, Warner might start out as a top six but I’m betting hex would be higher ranked than that if allowed to compete and develop on the mat for the entire season.

So, ahead of Kollin Moore and Preston Weigel? You have no clue what you are talking about. I am as high on Warner as anyone but lets be realistic. He may get there but why waste a year when he could be a 4 time finalist. Look at who graduates this year from 197, he needs to redshirt.

Lugo and everyone another year better, faster, stronger

And PSU only loses Retherford, gains a ton of recruits. And could say the same about all of their guys.

Our line up is better this year than next year unless we get more transfers or recruits. I don't know why people are ruling this season out already.

So, ahead of Kollin Moore and Preston Weigel? You have no clue what you are talking about. I am as high on Warner as anyone but lets be realistic. He may get there but why waste a year when he could be a 4 time finalist. Look at who graduates this year from 197, he needs to redshirt.
Not following; which graduating 197 are you saying Warnerov can’t beat?

Reactions: el dub
Not following; which graduating 197 are you saying Warnerov can’t beat?

Jared Haught, Willie Miklus, Kevin Beazley, Nate Rotert and Jake Smith. These guys will all handle Wilcke easily, and Warner barely beat him. Give the kid a year to get stronger and the sky is the limit.

A lot can/will happen between now and March. There is no way to pencil in who will be on the podium based on paper condidering the wear and tear of making it through a season on the mat.

Hall came out and took his lumps before getting his act together last year. That’s just part of wrestling.

Are you one of those guys who never wanted to take new toys out of the box for fear of lowering their perceived value?

A lot can/will happen between now and March. There is no way to pencil in who will be on the podium based on paper condidering the wear and tear of making it through a season on the mat.

Hall came out and took his lumps before getting his act together last year. That’s just part of wrestling.

Are you one of those guys who never wanted to take new toys out of the box for fear of lowering their perceived value?

No, but all of our freshman will be better sreved to use their redshirt and get properly healed or stronger for next year. Lee, Stickley, Murin, Lugo, Kemerer, Marinelli, Young, Wilcke, Warner and Stoll could have a great showing next year. Let's not act like Kevin Jackson and put kids out there before we should because the coaches didn't do their jobs.

Jared Haught, Willie Miklus, Kevin Beazley, Nate Rotert and Jake Smith. These guys will all handle Wilcke easily, and Warner barely beat him. Give the kid a year to get stronger and the sky is the limit.
Haught beat Wilcke 4-1 in a very tight match at NCAAs, Beazley beat Wilcke 8-7 in the R12. Rotert beat him something like 9-5 / 9-6 at the dual last year in a competitive match. McCutcheon beat Wilcke by 1 point in 2 or 3OT. Not sure that all of these guys will handle wilcke easily, let alone beat Warner.

It’s really up to the wrestlers and their family’s to determine what they think is best for themselves. To determine along with the coaches where they are both physically and technically. Based on that, coaches and athlete will know what is best for themselves and for the team. If the wrestler is healthy, ready to compete for a top AA spot, and WANTS to wrestle then they will wrestle. If not they have the right with the coaches support to redshirt.

125 Lee
133 Stick (or Murin?)
141 Turk (or Murin)
149 Lugo
157 Kem-Dog
165 Bull
174 Young / Jo-eey
184 Ca$h (or Cook?)
197 Warnerov

Quoting my own post, I could also see this year's nonstarter at 74 moving up to 84.

Quoting my own post, I could also see this year's nonstarter at 74 moving up to 84.

Gunther was at 165 last year. The only reason he isn't there this year is because he can't beat Marinelli. Young is a small 174 pounder. Moving either of these guys up isn't going to help us catch PSU or Ohio State. Wilson isn't going to get us there either. Having Brooks for several years at 184 and Meyer for 2 at 174, there is absolutely no reason that we don't have top guys as our starters now. There was PLENTY of time to recruit a couple great kids to take these spots. Gunther will never AA, in my opinion, either will Wilson. The jury is still out on Young. Inexcusable.

I’m not sure either are full grown 174 pounders. They are both natural 165. They would be beyond small at 184. Our 184 pounder for the next two seasons is currently at 197.

How do we have a better chance of winning next year than this year? Only people we gain are Cassioppi and Brands. We lose Sorensen and Downey.

PSU only graduates Retherford. If shirts are pulled this year and the stars align, Iowa can win it this season.

Well I think it is now safe to say, that PSU will always be adding a "massive recruiting class". Is there any reason at this point to think other wise?

I think this point has been argued from both sides to the point of being nauseating. FWIW, I was in the middle of many of those discussions. :)

Let's just get a lineup out there and start kicking some ass.

GO HAWKS!!

Gunther was at 165 last year. The only reason he isn't there this year is because he can't beat Marinelli. Young is a small 174 pounder. Moving either of these guys up isn't going to help us catch PSU or Ohio State. Wilson isn't going to get us there either. Having Brooks for several years at 184 and Meyer for 2 at 174, there is absolutely no reason that we don't have top guys as our starters now. There was PLENTY of time to recruit a couple great kids to take these spots. Gunther will never AA, in my opinion, either will Wilson. The jury is still out on Young. Inexcusable.
Gunther will never AA? As a freshman he went 2-2 at nationals and he will never AA? What a fan you are!

PSU loses Zain, Keener, and McCutcheon. That is 133, ,197, and 149.I also suspect Cortez will graduate and transfer as a graduate transfer and finish his career somewhere else. I wouldn't be shocked to see George Carpenter and Shakur Rasheed go that route as well depending on their academic progress and if it is possible for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT