ADVERTISEMENT

How close is Spencer to 100%?

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
In his first match back against ISU he pretty clearly wasn’t himself yet, but as we’ve seen even a 50% Spencer is still pretty dang good. Since then he’s made leaps and bound’s progress and to my untrained eye he looks all the way back. Does anyone think he’s still not 100%?

Also a related question - does anyone think if his knees had never gotten injured that he would be better than he is today? I know with lots of athletes after so many knee problems they end up being never quite the same. Is it fair to say that Spencer has avoided that fate and he’s back to just as good as he would have been if he never had knee problems?

In his first match back against ISU he pretty clearly wasn’t himself yet, but as we’ve seen even a 50% Spencer is still pretty dang good. Since then he’s made leaps and bound’s progress and to my untrained eye he looks all the way back. Does anyone think he’s still not 100%?

Also a related question - does anyone think if his knees had never gotten injured that he would be better than he is today? I know with lots of athletes after so many knee problems they end up being never quite the same. Is it fair to say that Spencer has avoided that fate and he’s back to just as good as he would have been if he never had knee problems?
Their is no way he's back to 100% imo. He's just that freaking good.
I mean who does what he does to top ranked wrestlers???
I'm going to be on suicide watch after this year. Such a pleasure to watch him.
I'm into international though so I'll follow closely. Hope he gets his Oly Gold or golds and several worlds then becomes the Hawks coach.
My dream scenario.

You have to define “100%.” It’s a relative term. Compared to what, exactly? Is he at his best? Absolutely not. But is he moving well and pain free? Yeah I think so.
Agreed, it’s hard to define. I think it’s a multi part question -

- First, is he 100% recovered from surgery, and I think the answer there is yes.

- Second, is he as good as he would have been if he never tore either ACL, and I don’t know how to answer that but I hope the answer is yes and I’m curious what others think.

- You could also question if his conditioning is all the way back but we haven’t been able to see him in a 7-minute match lately so we don’t know ;)😜

Their is no way he's back to 100% imo. He's just that freaking good.
I mean who does what he does to top ranked wrestlers???
I'm going to be in suicide watch after this year. Such a pleasure to watch him.
I'm into international though so I'll follow closely. Hope he gets his Oly Gold or golds and several worlds then becomes the Hawks coach.
My dream scenario.
I forget the timing of when the surgery happened but I believe this would be considered very early for recovery from such major surgery so you might be right.

Idk about 100% but he’s gotta be as close to or as good as ever. Not even just physically, this Spencer is just wrestling with attitude.
Yeah, I think everyone has noticed he’s wrestling with much more emotion than prior years. I assume all he’s been through injury-wise contributes to that. I’ve seen some interviews where he’s talked about the hell he went through at prior NCAA tourneys to rehab and try to keep his conditioning up while he wasn’t healthy enough to step on a mat. Conditioning sucks even under the best circumstances. I can’t imagine trying to do that with two torn ACLs.

I don’t think with all the mat time he’s missed he is as good as he would be had he had 5 years of year round conditioning and wrestling. I just can’t imagine how injuries haven’t hampered his development. I apologize if that’s not what you were asking.

I forget the timing of when the surgery happened but I believe this would be considered very early for recovery from such major surgery so you might be right.
I believe it was January and from posters that seem to be knowledgeable it's an amazing recovery for one , let alone two ACL surgeries.

Yeah, I think everyone has noticed he’s wrestling with much more emotion than prior years. I assume all he’s been through injury-wise contributes to that. I’ve seen some interviews where he’s talked about the hell he went through at prior NCAA tourneys to rehab and try to keep his conditioning up while he wasn’t healthy enough to step on a mat. Conditioning sucks even under the best circumstances. I can’t imagine trying to do that with two torn ACLs.
A fire was definitely lit at soldier solute. Not exactly sure who we should thank, but boy are we thankful.

I believe it was January and from posters that seem to be knowledgeable it's an amazing recovery for one , let alone two ACL surgeries.
Definitely not an amazing recovery for 1 acl repair. One repair is a 6-9month recovery which is what his timeline was for his first one his freshman year

Reactions: Sett1997
Is he as good as he would have been had he been healthy all this time rather than spending 30 months in the last 6 years being sidelined/rehabbing ? Really? What do you think?
Yeah but he’s also older, which is a benefit. The comparison would need to be 6th year Spencer versus what he would have been if he had a normal 4 year career. I’m also curious if anyone thinks he’s lost anything (explosiveness, mobility, etc) from the injuries.

Definitely not an amazing recovery for 1 acl repair. One repair is a 6-9month recovery which is what his timeline was for his first one his freshman year
6-12 months is what I'm reading. He was wrestling at 10 months with double. That's pretty amazing. Also says 6 months is non contact sports without a lot of twisting and turning. Kind of rules out wrestling.
Lee is a stud and completely amazing.

Reactions: ironside1
Just think of all the posters would be saying "THE SKY IS FALLING" if he had gotten pinned the last meet..PS posters would have been all over this.:)

Said it once, I will keep saying it. MANY do not fully understand what Spencer Lee is? Kind of hard for me to understand why? I get other pseudo fans, bandwagon fans, F*** st fans etc..... trying to make cases for their great wrestlers being best or better then Lee.

I do not get the GREATEST fans not understanding you are watching a once in a lifetime talent!!! The BEST wrestler on earth and if there is life beyond earth and they wrestle which I am sure they would. Lee will beat them TWOOO!

I mean his last TWOOO matches were ridiculous! He was down 8-1 on his back, he gets out, gets a takedown, gets a tilt to tie it up, and pins the #9 guy all within a minute left in the 1st! No one does this.

He then takes the #3 guy to the Wood Shed like a BUZZ SAW going thru cardboard! Again, name a time where you have seen the #1 guy just destroy the number 3?

If I am all other wrestlers, thinking about coming down to 125?( LMAO!!!) Yea guess we will see how that turns out!?!? FIX, to his coach, "uh I think I am going to eat another cheese burger and stay up. Cut is just TWOOOOO much!!!! RUN don't walk!!!

NO he is not 100% yet.

YES he would have even been better if he had stayed 100% healthy his entire career! He would also already be an Olympic Champion!

YES he would have even been better if he had stayed 100% healthy his entire career! He would also already be an Olympic Champion!

This is what is most distressing to me. Even without health issues, had COVID not happened he would already be a 4x champ with an Olympic gold medal. He has had just the worst possible luck. And while he can still get his 4 NCAA’s the road is much tougher than it should have been, and he get never get the 2020 Olympics back; he has at least one fewer Olympic cycle than he should have had.

Said it once, I will keep saying it. MANY do not fully understand what Spencer Lee is? Kind of hard for me to understand why? I get other pseudo fans, bandwagon fans, F*** st fans etc..... trying to make cases for their great wrestlers being best or better then Lee.

I do not get the GREATEST fans not understanding you are watching a once in a lifetime talent!!! The BEST wrestler on earth and if there is life beyond earth and they wrestle which I am sure they would. Lee will beat them TWOOO!

I mean his last TWOOO matches were ridiculous! He was down 8-1 on his back, he gets out, gets a takedown, gets a tilt to tie it up, and pins the #9 guy all within a minute left in the 1st! No one does this.

He then takes the #3 guy to the Wood Shed like a BUZZ SAW going thru cardboard! Again, name a time where you have seen the #1 guy just destroy the number 3?

If I am all other wrestlers, thinking about coming down to 125?( LMAO!!!) Yea guess we will see how that turns out!?!? FIX, to his coach, "uh I think I am going to eat another cheese burger and stay up. Cut is just TWOOOOO much!!!! RUN don't walk!!!

NO he is not 100% yet.

Watch him walk off the mat last night. He aint 100.

Reactions: el dub

NO he is not 100% yet.

It’s one thing to be a fanatic of Spencer’s, but you’re so over the top it’s creepy. I think Spencer would even say so.

It’s one thing to be a fanatic of Spencer’s, but you’re so over the top it’s creepy. I think Spencer would even say so.
NOPE, just keeping it real as always and trying to make people understand. There was another thread talking about many F*** st wrestlers who are undeniably great wrestlers for example. If you are just using some statistics to make your arguments. You can make it seem like this guy or that guy is as good or maybe even try to say better then Lee.

Thing is you are just not watching or maybe not seeing what you are watching!?!?!? Kid is a freak and as artadley pointed out above. It is just unbelievable to think about what he is doing with the cards he has been dealt, and what it would be like had his luck been better.

NOPE, just keeping it real as always and trying to make people understand. There was another thread talking about many F*** st wrestlers who are undeniably great wrestlers for example. If you are just using some statistics to make your arguments. You can make it seem like this guy or that guy is as good or maybe even try to say better then Lee.

Thing is you are just not watching or maybe not seeing what you are watching!?!?!? Kid is a freak and as artadley pointed out above. It is just unbelievable to think about what he is doing with the cards he has been dealt, and what it would be like had his luck been better.
Dude, I have been a wrestling season ticket holder for 28 years now. Sit 10 rows from the floor. I know more about Iowa wrestling and Spencer Lee than you do.

I just find your angry tone and over the top man love of SL more than creepy, that's all. People who know the sport and Lee know all the greatness he is....you just don't need to sound like his Dad or family member...as I said, Spencer would feel embarrassed that a fanatic goes this nuts. Just tone it down.

Dude, I have been a wrestling season ticket holder for 28 years now. Sit 10 rows from the floor. I know more about Iowa wrestling and Spencer Lee than you do.

I just find your angry tone and over the top man love of SL more than creepy, that's all. People who know the sport and Lee know all the greatness he is....you just don't need to sound like his Dad or family member...as I said, Spencer would feel embarrassed that a fanatic goes this nuts. Just tone it down.
Yeah I would have thought it was someone trolling and trying to mock Iowa fans with an over the top character portrayal but nope. He’s worse than how a family member would be

Another pissing contest? But…isn’t it too early for popcorn?

You don't have to turn anything down. We've been absolutely blessed as fans to have Spencer Lee on our side. No such thing as over the top when it comes to showing love for Spencer!

This is a little odd. You claim to be a very long time fan? If so you have to be a "wrestling guy!" Also 28 years puts you in the older crowd, yet you use terms like "angry tone" and "man love????"

Just NOT getting it buddy? Would gladdly like to hear YOUR take on SL?
Yeah I would have thought it was someone trolling and trying to mock Iowa fans with an over the top character portrayal but nope. He’s worse than how a family member would be
Once again I am just telling it as I see. His family doesn't have to say anything, they know!

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
Spencer’s fireman’s carry to a craddle for the fall was a 100%. He may not have a full tank conditioning wise or his full mobility back. If he continues to execute his strategies and moves, bearing the results he had last night, then I don’t care if he’s 100% or not.
Just win.
It also made me miss ADS. A lot.

Last edited:

mine's bigger than yours

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT