ADVERTISEMENT

How Come Nobody is Thanking the Union Army on Juneteenth?

Excellent point. For some reason, the holiday is coming off as a celebration. Your comments are going to help me pay more attention to it. Thank for sharing your thoughts.
Well that's because a bunch of white companies and reporters who never knew about Juneteenth before are suddenly aware and trying to treat it as a national celebration. It's never been used as a day of celebration. While people of color may have had a "celebration" it was in their ability to persist even amongst the worst of oppression. So they're not celebrating the day as much as their indominable spirit. It's why, as a white man, I feel very uncomfortable "celebrating" this day. It's not my day to celebrate. There's nothing for me to celebrate. For white people, it should be a day of memorial to all of the lives destroyed by slavery. Nothing should be celebrated by white people that white people continued to ignore the law and continue to hold people as property simply due to the color of their skin.

AND, more importantly. Any white people trying to tell people of color that they're celebrating the holiday wrong need to learn to stay in their lane.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Well that's because a bunch of white companies and reporters who never knew about Juneteenth before are suddenly aware and trying to treat it as a national celebration. It's never been used as a day of celebration. While people of color may have had a "celebration" it was in their ability to persist even amongst the worst of oppression. So they're not celebrating the day as much as their indominable spirit. It's why, as a white man, I feel very uncomfortable "celebrating" this day. It's not my day to celebrate. There's nothing for me to celebrate. For white people, it should be a day of memorial to all of the lives destroyed by slavery. Nothing should be celebrated by white people that white people continued to ignore the law and continue to hold people as property simply due to the color of their skin.

AND, more importantly. Any white people trying to tell people of color that they're celebrating the holiday wrong need to learn to stay in their lane.
personally, i can't wait for a tv ad with a cheesy used car dealer dressed as general grant bursting onto the screen to proclaim the good news of spectacular juneteenth deals!!! of course, once supply chain woes are dealt with.

Juneteenth seems like a nice holiday to celebrate the freedom of slaves. It should stand in its own.

This guy looks like a clown. Though Jefferson's relationship with Hemmings and his slaves is certainly front and center at Monticello, the reality is that it's always been. Honestly, if this guy really wants to bitch about this sort of thing, he should focus his attention on UVA, which is very much trying to detach itself from Jefferson.

This guy looks like a clown. Though Jefferson's relationship with Hemmings and his slaves is certainly front and center at Monticello, the reality is that it's always been. Honestly, if this guy really wants to bitch about this sort of thing, he should focus his attention on UVA, which is very much trying to detach itself from Jefferson.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
ADVERTISEMENT