ADVERTISEMENT

How did the offense look to you?

Kaleb Johnson is going to be our next star running back and he ought to be starting now.

Petras was Petras with just a few less groans. Our O Line line looks uncoached.

it will be interesting to see how many snaps KJ gets next week and moving forward

Brian Ferentz takes a lot of heat, and rightfully so. At the same time, I find it puzzling that our OL coach does not get much heat, if at all.

Reactions: isuisshit
Oline has issues and that might be the biggest problem at the moment. Holy crap, they are going to see a lot of blitzes throughout the year.
They are the major issue for this offense. Nothing will look much better until they improve. Spencer was better I guess. Hard to go farther south. Backs and receivers are promising but the big uglies need to start doing their part.

They are the major issue for this offense. Nothing will look much better until they improve. Spencer was better I guess. Hard to go farther south. Backs and receivers are promising but the big uglies need to start doing their part.

I think it's interesting how in June & August we were told that the OL issues from last season would be fixed. We were also told many great & promising things about the OL:

* It was going to be a strength again for Iowa

* It would be bigger and more athletic than a year ago.

* It was ready to impose its will on the opponent.

* It was ready to return to form in 2022

The coaches have some explaining to do.

The offense looked much improved it was good to get back some of the missing players. When Spencer has time he can throw the ball with the best of them. As the season progresses the offense will improve tremendously.

I don't want to hear from the "oh it's Nevada" crowd, the delays, the torrential downpour of rain, all took a toll on the offense from establishing an A+ rating.

Petras was very, very average at best . If you look closely, there were many bad balls and poor throws. He is what he is.
I haven’t watched many other BT games, but I wonder if SP would even crack the 2 deep rosters of other BT programs…🤔

43f.gif

There were a couple of very catchable passes to Brecht that he probably could have hauled in, including a TD, with a little better body control and ball tracking. He’ll learn from it.
Agree. Size doesn't help much without the body control to position and shield. Brandon Smith never could master that and was still trying to reach as a sr. It's concerning because guys typically
have that "rebounding" or "I own this space" mentality or they don't.

Reactions: CF_93
Petras , had a couple of good moments, that is it. He still over thew guys, he still thew behind guys and he was late on a lot of his passes. If it wasn't for the defense helping them with a short field the score would have been less. Nevada is not a good team. We might beat Rutter because they don't have a QB right now. This not going to be a good year even with a top 5 defense. The defense will end up being on the field to long and creating more injuries

About what I expected here. Iowa would look somewhat competent against a terrible Nevada team and it would build a false sense of improvement and confidence moving forward. Petra’s and this o line are completely offensive and inept. Outside of kaleb Johnson, I saw nothing to be excited about moving forward the rest of the season. We are going to get destroyed in conference play this year. Michigan and OSU are going to be flat out embarrassing.
tOSU will beat us by at least 3 TD's, and the margin of victory will probably depend on when they call off the dogs. On the heels of the 55-24 blowout in Kinnick, they and their fans will want a pound of flesh (even though the coaching staff has changed), so I suspect it will be pretty ugly.

No doubt, Michigan could also get ugly, and I'd be shocked if we found a way to win it, but I think there's a small chance our D and special teams plus the Kinnick crowd keep us in it for about a half. Then I suspect the D wears down in the second half and Meatchicken wins comfortably. Our only chance is another hideous defensive struggle where Taylor pins them deep several times and we come up with some defensive scores.

In general, I agree -- will be shocked if this group doesn't struggle mightily in Big Ten play. Any Big Ten wins are likely to be embarrassingly low-scoring and hard to watch.

it will be interesting to see how many snaps KJ gets next week and moving forward

Brian Ferentz takes a lot of heat, and rightfully so. At the same time, I find it puzzling that our OL coach does not get much heat, if at all.
Agreed, the OL has been a disaster for 2 years now. When was George Barnett hired? 2 years ago.

Petras was much more accurate. He had a few drops and punch outs on a wet night. A couple of long balls that could have been hauled in. If he can continue to be that accurate that is all we can ask because his escapability is not going to improve much. And that leads to the Oline which was very iffy again as they gave up a lot of penetration, a lot of near unblocked, quick pass rush pressure, but had some good blocking also. The running backs can make some better cuts on the screen passes as GWilliams could have had a huge gain on one cutting back behind 3 blockers.

We have some very good running backs, period. It helped to have Ragaini back and KJohnson also but he looked rusty for sure.

Any observations?
Like we're gonna win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!

Reactions: Section44
Petras was much more accurate.
no, he wasn't What the hell are you talking about? Wrong shoulder for Bruce. Ragani's catch was horrifically underthrown. a bazillion tosses to Brecht into nothingness was just that.. Bruce across the middle was a low gut shot. Everything else aside from the RB dump was into coverage was terrible, absolutely terrible. Also, he has zero ability to avoid a sack and on the second slide of his entire life, he missed the mark. He is just friggin terrible.

Had to laugh when he slid out of bounds. That cost us about 4 yards. He could have gained a couple more if he'd run out of bounds, and they spot it where the slide begins which cost us a couple more. Absolutely no reason to slide out of bounds. It's about as ridiculous as a baserunner sliding into first.

Reactions: NI hawk
On offense & defense, it all starts at the line of scrimmage.

When given time last night, Petras was pretty accurate on his throws, especially the deep throws. As conference games begin and the competition gets much better, I fear the problem will be having the time to throw. And when the plays break down, Petras is obviously not a running threat.

Arland is a nice & reliable weapon on both offense & special teams. Having Nico & Keagan back last night was huge. I agree that both looked rusty but hopefully they have another good week heading into the Rutgers game. I am glad they got Brecht out there, giving him some game experience. He's only going to get better.

Let's see what happens as the opponents get more difficult. The next 4 games should tell us a lot. We hopefully go at least 2-2. Who knows, with some Kinnick magic, we might go 3-1.

Sep 24 at Rutgers
Oct 1 Michigan
Oct 8 at Illinois
Oct 15 Bye week
Oct 22 at Ohio State
We will beat Rutgers or Illinois but not both
We will beat neither Michigan nor OSU

Let's be realistic here, fellas. This team likely has 3-4 wins tops left in it this season. That's the reality of it, just like it was back in 2012

no, he wasn't What the hell are you talking about? Wrong shoulder for Bruce. Ragani's catch was horrifically underthrown. a bazillion tosses to Brecht into nothingness was just that.. Bruce across the middle was a low gut shot. Everything else aside from the RB dump was into coverage was terrible, absolutely terrible. Also, he has zero ability to avoid a sack and on the second slide of his entire life, he missed the mark. He is just friggin terrible.
This might be one of the most ill-informed posts I've ever read. And that's saying a lot on this site.

Reactions: sober_teacher

I wonder how many ass beats Stephens has on his scorecard. He has to lead the pack.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I havent re-watched the game yet, but from watching it live it was really nice to see some playmakers back and they really made a difference. We are not built to stretch the field horizontally, which is what we were having to do the first two games because we just had no receivers available other than Bruce. This offense is built to stretch the field vertically and that is what is going to start keeping defenses honest. I thought Spencer looked relaxed and confident and his ball placement was pretty good. He was late on a couple of throws, but its ok, he gave our guys a chance on most of them. I thought Elsbury looked better at center and the oline did look a little better and I am optimistic that they will improve quite a bit here coming up. I think Kaleb Johnson looks like our best RB and I really liked how Patterson attacked the hole. Gavin Williams does not look healthy to me. I think LaPorta is good, just not up there with the other Iowa TE's in the past several years. Nico is a gamer and we really need Keegan Johnson to be healthy. It really sucks that we have had so many injuries to start off the year, that has really screwed up the continuity of the offense.

My main concerns going forward are first and foremost the oline, both in run blocking and pass blocking. My next concern is defense related. I don't like how these teams have been able to run the ball against us like they have. They will really play on their heels if they give up 5 to 6 yards on first down to Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois for that matter, let alone Michigan. I want to see us be more stout against the run.

Reactions: unclesammy
When you take most or all of the pressure away Petras is ok.

Any type of pressure and his accuracy and decision making goes out the window.

Starting Labas the rest of the way to get him ready for next year is the only thing that would make this season interesting at this point. Although with this Oline it would probably do more harm than good.

The real question is how in the flying fxck is this offensive line so bad?
I will be surprised if Petras does not start every game unless he is injured.

Had to laugh when he slid out of bounds. That cost us about 4 yards. He could have gained a couple more if he'd run out of bounds, and they spot it where the slide begins which cost us a couple more. Absolutely no reason to slide out of bounds. It's about as ridiculous as a baserunner sliding into first.
I’m probably overthinking this, but that slide play was so emblematic of Spencer’s problems. He just struggles to make decisions in the heat of the moment. He’s still thinking instead of reacting. If he struggles to decide whether he should slide or run OOB when there’s nobody really around him, no wonder he struggles to read defenses, pressure, and find open receivers.

O- Line is bad. I thought Petra’s looked more relaxed and actually threw a good ball. BUT- It’s Nevada,,,,a JV team against a varsity team….Game doesn’t show us anything except we should go after
Kinne from ICW as our new O- coordinator or Head Coach.

I'm going to eat a bit of crow here, but still say SP is not a good QB.

That being said the O-line was atrocious, and even worse in person. I guess decent for this game considering opponent, but picturing them against a Big Ten defense has me worried.

I havent re-watched the game yet, but from watching it live it was really nice to see some playmakers back and they really made a difference. We are not built to stretch the field horizontally, which is what we were having to do the first two games because we just had no receivers available other than Bruce. This offense is built to stretch the field vertically and that is what is going to start keeping defenses honest. I thought Spencer looked relaxed and confident and his ball placement was pretty good. He was late on a couple of throws, but its ok, he gave our guys a chance on most of them. I thought Elsbury looked better at center and the oline did look a little better and I am optimistic that they will improve quite a bit here coming up. I think Kaleb Johnson looks like our best RB and I really liked how Patterson attacked the hole. Gavin Williams does not look healthy to me. I think LaPorta is good, just not up there with the other Iowa TE's in the past several years. Nico is a gamer and we really need Keegan Johnson to be healthy. It really sucks that we have had so many injuries to start off the year, that has really screwed up the continuity of the offense.

My main concerns going forward are first and foremost the oline, both in run blocking and pass blocking. My next concern is defense related. I don't like how these teams have been able to run the ball against us like they have. They will really play on their heels if they give up 5 to 6 yards on first down to Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois for that matter, let alone Michigan. I want to see us be more stout against the run.
Agree. Do you know if KeJohnson reinjured his hammy?

His accuracy is still a big, big problem. Bruce's TD was a great catch on another badly thrown ball to a wide open guy. Several other passes that were behind guys. We're now into year 3, this isn't something that all of a sudden is going to be fixed. He's just not very good. We're screwed once we get into B1G play.

Reactions: NI hawk
He doesn't even look like a football player IMO, does Iowa let the QBs opt out of the strength training program?
I wouldn’t say all Iowa QBs do. Stanley, for what he was, was a beast in the weight room and has all of the QB lifting records for Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT