ADVERTISEMENT

How did the offense look to you?

That would appear to be where he focused much of his time as we all know if the OL is weak, it impacts everything.
Why are the Hawks recruiting such weak o-lineman then? Every other position seems to have the toughness edge but them. I'm really just pointing out that I don't buy the Doyle effect. Iowa has had leaky o-lines for longer than just the last couple of years. Other than developing one or two individual players each season it seems like the line guru known as Kirk Ferentz hasn't been able to field a unit in quite some time and definitely not consistently at that.

Why are the Hawks recruiting such weak o-lineman then? Every other position seems to have the toughness edge but them. I'm really just pointing out that I don't buy the Doyle effect. Iowa has had leaky o-lines for longer than just the last couple of years. Other than developing one or two individual players each season it seems like the line guru known as Kirk Ferentz hasn't been able to field a unit in quite some time and definitely not consistently at that.
Reese Morgan would be your answer.

I give the Offense a C- at best and the defense and special teams an A. It is an improvement but a long way from what it could and should be.

Reactions: kcgolfer
D+

O-Line is broken
Gavin Williams is too indecisive and is not our #1 back
Petras will be just as bad as the first two weeks when he faces B1G defenses (Even his completions were bad throws)

Reactions: DewHawk
A WIN!! They don't ask how just how many...but Nevada is just horrible. I don't know if we can get past Rutgers on the road unless the defense gives us a couple scores. How many Oline combos did they run this morning/last night? I counted at least 6 and I'm sure I missed a couple. Right guard is a turnstyle. Really hard to develop cohesiveness with that kind of rotation.

Reactions: Franisdaman
His accuracy is still a big, big problem. Bruce's TD was a great catch on another badly thrown ball to a wide open guy. Several other passes that were behind guys. We're now into year 3, this isn't something that all of a sudden is going to be fixed. He's just not very good. We're screwed once we get into B1G play.
This. Bruce had to make a difficult catch on what should have been a easy touchdown.

A WIN!! They don't ask how just how many...but Nevada is just horrible. I don't know if we can get past Rutgers on the road unless the defense gives us a couple scores. How many Oline combos did they run this morning/last night? I counted at least 6 and I'm sure I missed a couple. Right guard is a turnstyle. Really hard to develop cohesiveness with that kind of rotation.
At least Nebraska can score.

no, he wasn't What the hell are you talking about? Wrong shoulder for Bruce. Ragani's catch was horrifically underthrown. a bazillion tosses to Brecht into nothingness was just that.. Bruce across the middle was a low gut shot. Everything else aside from the RB dump was into coverage was terrible, absolutely terrible. Also, he has zero ability to avoid a sack and on the second slide of his entire life, he missed the mark. He is just friggin terrible.

By much more accurate I mean the receivers could adjust and get their hands on the ball. In the first two games this season and thru the previous years he has thrown a lot of passes so high or so short the receivers have no chance.

Even pro football tv analysts say that receivers need to be able to adjust to balls thrown by great QBs. So Petras just not overthrowing and underthrowing receivers is a BIG plus. When I coached baseball I always told infielders that a low thrown ball can be scooped but a ball 12 feet over someone's head is uncatchable so you know where you should miss.

If Petras can keep putting the ball close to the receivers it will be a big improvement.

Now I wanted to see Padilla start the second half of the ISU game at least but not sure what is going on there.

Reactions: sober_teacher
When we had CD and solid OL coaching, no issues (even with walk-on OL). ONce he left and the OL coaching changed, we had issues.

• Haha
Reactions: RCHdude
Totally agree, that's why I'm pretty much checked out on the season.

6 or 7 wins, whatever. It's a dead end season.
With this offense, i am finding it hard to get to 6\7 wins. Who you got as "wins"?

I had our 3 non-conf and maybe Rutgers\Illnois. But neither looks to be as bad as Nevada.

This might be one of the most ill-informed posts I've ever read. And that's saying a lot on this site.
And you thought this past game was Petras' best game passing since 2020? Talk about ill-informed. Petras tossed for 370+ less than a year ago. What planet are you from? Brian, is that you?

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk and littlez
I'm not Petras fan, but another thing that stands out when he makes halfway decent medium and long passes is how poor Iowa's WR talent actually is. Guys are stumbling around to make plays on balls that any competent college receiver should adjust to in mid air. Petras makes it harder than it has to be, yes, but we've got to do better than walkon success stories at WR.
Meanwhile Charlie Jones, who should have been our #1 guy, is at Purdue.

Reactions: amahawk
And you thought this past game was Petras' best game passing since 2020? Talk about ill-informed. Petras tossed for 370+ less than a year ago. What planet are you from? Brian, is that you?

Petra’s’ career high remains the 265 he threw for in his first game. He has never thrown for 300 yards or more.

Reactions: BBHawk
Running game showed some signs of life....KJ looks like the real deal....maybe....it was Nevada after all. But he looked smooth.

O-line is still pretty bad. It's really strange to see Iowa with such crappy line play.

Receivers got open a bit more than we've seen. Loved seeing some downfield attempts.

SP was more accurate than we've seen all season. Not great by any means, but better than he has been.

27 vs a team like Nevada isn't great, but it's not a dumpster fire.

With this offense, i am finding it hard to get to 6\7 wins. Who you got as "wins"?

I had our 3 non-conf and maybe Rutgers\Illnois. But neither looks to be as bad as Nevada.

Even with no offensive improvement Iowa should/will be favored against.
Rutgers
Illinois
Northwestern
Nebraska

If the offense can get better (big if) They should be able to hang with
Purdue
Wisconsin
Minnesota

They'd need a minor miracle to beat Michigan & Ohio St

tOSU will beat us by at least 3 TD's, and the margin of victory will probably depend on when they call off the dogs. On the heels of the 55-24 blowout in Kinnick, they and their fans will want a pound of flesh (even though the coaching staff has changed), so I suspect it will be pretty ugly.

No doubt, Michigan could also get ugly, and I'd be shocked if we found a way to win it, but I think there's a small chance our D and special teams plus the Kinnick crowd keep us in it for about a half. Then I suspect the D wears down in the second half and Meatchicken wins comfortably. Our only chance is another hideous defensive struggle where Taylor pins them deep several times and we come up with some defensive scores.

In general, I agree -- will be shocked if this group doesn't struggle mightily in Big Ten play. Any Big Ten wins are likely to be embarrassingly low-scoring and hard to watch.

Yeah, I am afraid tOSU will be looking for some revenge from the Woodshed game.

How does Michigan's D look? Granted, they have not played anyone.

This story is from April 2, 2020. SI ranked Iowa at #8 in the country for producing OL over the previous 10 years.

The last 2 years, however, have been led by a new coach, George Barnett.

A perfect way to sum up the thoughts of all the people out there who are complete morons. And when it comes to football fans, that happens to be a painfully large percentage
Nebraska has had a tougher schedule and event hough they have lost 2 they have scored more points against better teams than Iowa has. Nebraska doesn't have much of a offense, but they can score points. You moron

Nebraska has had a tougher schedule and event hough they have lost 2 they have scored more points against better teams than Iowa has. Nebraska doesn't have much of a offense, but they can score points. You moron
You can have Nebraska's scoring average, 1-3 record, interim coach, and zero wins vs Iowa in the last 7 games

our TEs have been just as disappointing as the ol. The typical iowa te moves really well in space and la porta might be least fluid guy ive seen at that spot in a very long time. and he isn’t catching anything. i realize the balls going his way have not been optimal throws but the reason la porta became prominent was because he would haul in 1 or 2 tough catches to keep drives alive. not sure if he is making a difference as a blocker either.

Reactions: DewHawk

I haven't looked at the schedule and Im not going to bother. 3, 6 or 7 doesn't make any difference to me. They're not going to be competitive against good teams.

If there's no chance of at least winning the west then Kork needs to stop worrying about wins this year and go into full rebuild mode now so that maybe they can be competitive for something relevant next year.

Reactions: littlez
our TEs have been just as disappointing as the ol. The typical iowa te moves really well in space and la porta might be least fluid guy ive seen at that spot in a very long time. and he isn’t catching anything. i realize the balls going his way have not been optimal throws but the reason la porta became prominent was because he would haul in 1 or 2 tough catches to keep drives alive. not sure if he is making a difference as a blocker either.

I am not sure that Lachey has been disappointing but I'm not watching him as much as LaPorta. LaPorta can't block. I mean, I'd do much worse but I'm not a D1 athlete.

This story is from April 2, 2020. SI ranked Iowa at #8 in the country for producing OL over the previous 10 years.

The last 2 years, however, have been led by a new coach, George Barnett.

Produces good lineman but fairly infrequently a good line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT