ADVERTISEMENT

how do the players react today?

iowahaha1

All-Conference
Apr 15, 2015
What do you think the players are thinking today? I'm sure they are all wondering if they will have a new QB1 next week. Many players are probably calling or texting each other "Hey, have you heard anything"? Petras is probably a little nervous to go to practice tomorrow and the thought of being QB2 is going into his head. He will probably be asking himself if he should transfer if he is QB2, or be happy he is getting a free education which will hopefully allow him a fruitful income in the future. Padilla is probably walking a little taller today knowing he nailed his so called audition. I'm sure he has been talking to family/friends and past coaches and is on cloud 9. Feel good for that young man and a little bad for Petras as he has done his best. Either way I bet there is a little buzz/electricity feeling around the program right now.

And Ferentz has a quarterback controversy which he hates. He also looks foolish for telling us all this time that all the backup qbs were worse than Petras.

This issue is, at least in part, more magnified than it needs to be due to the way KF chooses to handle the qb position. Of course there's more interest and potential for controversy when there is a change in the highest profile position on the field. KF ramps that up even more given his well established history of picking a starter and sticking with that guy to the furthest extremes. Set the qb up as untouchable like that and you're setting up the situation for more negative effects.

It's a real positive that Padilla played well. Would it have been good to get more points in the second half...yes...were Brian and KF going to let Padilla put a turnover in play in the 4th, no.

IMO, we now have a situation where our backup, if KF hands the reigns back to Petras, is capable of winning games. The real question becomes...if Petras starts against Minnesota and struggles...how long will he be allowed to struggle.

This issue is, at least in part, more magnified than it needs to be due to the way KF chooses to handle the qb position. Of course there's more interest and potential for controversy when there is a change in the highest profile position on the field. KF ramps that up even more given his well established history of picking a starter and sticking with that guy to the furthest extremes. Set the qb up as untouchable like that and you're setting up the situation for more negative effects.
Very good pointe. If we would ever rotate our QB's now and then to get them experience, then just next man in and no problem. When it it an untouchable, that is when it gets uncomfortable.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
It’s pretty obvious who the better qb is to anyone that isn’t blind. Petras has had almost 2 years to show what he can do and he just isn’t getting it done. Padilla needs to be the starter from here on out.

And Ferentz has a quarterback controversy which he hates. He also looks foolish for telling us all this time that all the backup qbs were worse than Petras.
I don't know, we need to remember that NW doesn't have a very good defense this year, and Petras supposedly was not 100% so whether Padilla is actually better remains to be seen. However, I would like Kirk to keep playing Padilla and lets find out. ;) Remember Kirk keep leaning back towards Rudock when Beathard had looked good, and it really wasn't till the writing was on the wall that Beathard was most likely going to transfer out that Kirk named him the starter. But I was encouraged by Padilla's first half performance.

charlie-sheen-im-winning.gif

Rotating QBs is usually a disaster. Padilla earned the chance to start last night. Its not like he played because Chuck Long or Brad Banks was injured. Spencer showed good improvement until the Penn St. game, after that his play crashed.

Why do people say Ferentz will stick with "his starter"? Its not exactly a lie but its not a contextually correct version of history.

Stanley? No QB controversy, right? Everyone agrees Nate should have started all three seasons.

CJ the prior two years. Again, no argument about who should have started.

CJ v Rudock. CJ got regular PT during that season. Go back and look at stats, box scores and the play by plays. CJ underperformed Rudock in virtually every way. But, CJ did have the moxie and the much stronger arm. Remember, Rudock played in the NFL and was a big recruit who lost his starting job.

Rudock's two year's starting, no real competition here.

Vandenberg. His senior season was awful but who would have started freshman Rudock? Surely not that part of the fanbase that chased him out of town two years later.

Vandenberg junior year. One of the best single seasons in Iowa history so no comp that season.

Ricky Stanzi jr and sr years. No QB competition.

Ricky vs. Jake C. That competition lasted two games before Ricky was starting. Jake C had played as well as Ricky in the first two games but, again Ricky's arm and mobility and leadership were undeniably superior but it did not translate on the field for another year. Jake would have disappeared after re-entering the ISU game where Ricky was awful. However, Ricky apparently failed to run the plays called for him in his first start at Pitt and got benched in game 3 and then started every other game. I'll bet Ricky did not ignore the coaches after than 1/2 game benching. So rather than mindlessly play the inferior player, Jake, there was open competition for only TWO games. That does not really bespeak a Kirk's mindless desire to stick with "his" QB does it?

Jake's soph season. Only true freshman Ricky was available. Moreover, Jake C's numbers weren't bad on a bad team. He did not turn the ball over or make many mistakes. He just had bad or inexperienced receivers, a young line and, sadly, a lack of D1 arm strength. Jake threw more touchdowns and had far fewer interceptions that Ricky did his sophomore season-and on a better and more experienced team than Jake faced.

Drew's three seasons, no questions.

BB's senior year, no questions.

Kyle McCann v BB junior year. Put aside the senior year and focus on junior year. BB looked good at times but also made far too mental errors for a ball control team trying to earn its first bowl invite coming off 1-10 and 3-8 seasons. Only the perennially discontented were calling for Banks.

First two seasons. The QBs were a hodge podge of McCann, too fragile; Mullen, too dumb (turnover factory) and true freshman Jon Buetjer. I think KF's caution about freshmen QBs was exacerbated by a deep personal dislike for Buetjer, that was apparently shared by the other coaches and players. Some disciplinary action is usually taken when a lineman slams the starting QB's head into a locker door.​

So where is the evidence of the mindless adherence to an inferior starting QB?

Coach Kirk Ferentz's comments in his post game press
conference gave the impression that Petras will start
against Minnesota. He said that he expects Petras
will be healthy and able to play.

Coach Kirk Ferentz's comments in his post game press
conference gave the impression that Petras will start
against Minnesota. He said that he expects Petras
will be healthy and able to play.
He said Petras will be healthy and able to play, he did not name him the starter.

Reactions: kceasthawk
It's a real positive that Padilla played well. Would it have been good to get more points in the second half...yes...were Brian and KF going to let Padilla put a turnover in play in the 4th, no.

IMO, we now have a situation where our backup, if KF hands the reigns back to Petras, is capable of winning games. The real question becomes...if Petras starts against Minnesota and struggles...how long will he be allowed to struggle.
The way the game played out, IF SP starts I think he'll be on a much shorter leash. We'll see...

I have been on Team Petras until now. Padilla was more than serviceable last night and he needs to start moving forward. If he struggles we can always give the reins back to Spencer.
If Padilla does struggle, what do you think Petras would provide in relief?

At this point, it’s time to move on from Petras. I don’t think that’s where Kirk is at, and I expect Petras will start if healthy, so this conversation is probably moot. With that said, the ideal scenario moving forward is to give the reins to Padilla and let him take his lumps. After the season, Kirk should hit the transfer portal or JUCO ranks to find a quarterback (preferably a mobile one) and open up the competition in the off-season.

Unfortunately, we all know how this will play out.

They gave Spencer 3 series too many at NW. So in pregame warmups he’s fine. And then after wasting 3 series he’s not? I’ve been a pretty solid supporter of BF. However, this year has made me jump off his Bandwagon.

As anyone that has coached anything should know there are times when an upperclassman starts out better, more experienced and less mistake prone but another younger player catches and passes them. Its certainly not fun to tell the senior that a sophomore has taken their place but sometimes it needs to be done.

Alex looked better than Spencer looked in weeks. His agility, quicker reads, more decisive throws and the reaction to the team shows Alex deserves to start. The BF task is to find ways to get the ball the Keagan and Arland IV on quick hitting plays.​

Reactions: iowahaha1
ADVERTISEMENT