ADVERTISEMENT

How do we feel about polygamy?

l.todd

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2004
Had an interesting situation arise today and got me thinking. Obviously, it is illegal in all 50 states. Should it be? Why? If a man had 2 "wives" living with him, common law, not legally married, is he breaking the law? I have heard people argue that if a man has 2 wives, even if they consent, they can't actually consent because the man is exerting power over them. What if a woman has 2 husbands. Should that be viewed the same?

How about 2 husbands who do? The situation I ran into is that a new patient in my office, a man, listed his emergency contacts as 2 men, who he named as his husbands, at the same address. He listed the same 2 men, as his husbands, as people I could release protected health information to. Does this make a difference? Should it??

Had an interesting situation arise today and got me thinking. Obviously, it is illegal in all 50 states. Should it be? Why? If a man had 2 "wives" living with him, common law, not legally married, is he breaking the law? I have heard people argue that if a man has 2 wives, even if they consent, they can't actually consent because the man is exerting power over them. What if a woman has 2 husbands. Should that be viewed the same?

Consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want as long as they are not harming others.

How about 2 husbands who do? The situation I ran into is that a new patient in my office, a man, listed his emergency contacts as 2 men, who he named as his husbands, at the same address. He listed the same 2 men, as his husbands, as people I could release protected health information to. Does this make a difference? Should it??

I am going to guess there is about 100x more secks going on in that house than most others. Good for them!

I polled my wives. They have no problem with it, in theory at least.

Multiple women is fine,.. multiple wives is just plain stupid...

giphy.gif

Marriage is a challenging relationship
and works best when there is one
man and one wife. The children from
that marriage need to focus on one
father and one mother.

Destroys the society if it becomes common. The rich get all the women, leaves young horny men with too much time on their hands, bandying about causing trouble.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy

What was the situation?

Consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want as long as they are not harming others.

I don't think this can be an absolute.

The concern I would have with polygamy is the chances of a 2 on 1 gang up. I think the chances are too goo that 1 man and one woman would exploit another, weaker woman.

I am not in favor of polygamy being legal.

It may be illegal but they kind of look the other way in "Colorado City", or whatever that town is on the border of Utah and AZ

Last edited:
I don't think this can be an absolute.

The concern I would have with polygamy is the chances of a 2 on 1 gang up. I think the chances are too goo that 1 man and one woman would exploit another, weaker woman.

I am not in favor of polygamy being legal.
How is that different than an overbearing male exploiting a weak female?

It happens... not so sure about calling all 3 husbands. The one I know of they do not all live together. But do just about everything else... travel etc. Its an older, long-term couple and a 20'something. Good work if you can get it. Those not involved refer to the 3 some as a "throuple".

It happens... not so sure about calling all 3 husbands. The one I know of they do not all live together. But do just about everything else... travel etc. Its an older, long-term couple and a 20'something. Good work if you can get it. Those not involved refer to the 3 some as a "throuple".

I was hoping you or one of our other resident experts would chime in. This is the first I've seen someone basically write it out like this, and I was wondering if it was more common in the gay community than what we straights might think.

How is that different than an overbearing male exploiting a weak female?

A fair question, and one I have considered. Perhaps not physically, but in other ways I think a 1 on 1 relationship leaves less room for dominance.

But, yes, even a 1 on 1 has this risk.

I don’t care if someone could somehow maintain a throuple or more. I don’t think those types of relationships work where there’s a balance of power and there’s not one person “in charge” like in a Mormon kind of way. But if you can somehow get two women not to be catty towards each other or a bisexual guy and a woman not constantly fighting with each other....good job! I doubt I could be so lucky so I have zero interest. And a huge percentage of those relationships don’t work.

But I definitely do not think we should be legislating against it.

Last edited:
I can barely handle one wife, so I question who in their right mind would want more than one. That said, government shouldn’t determine who marries who and how many they should marry.
Yeah, one wife has always seemed way plenty to me. Divorced from my 2nd wife in 1986 and never felt the need to get another one.

I was hoping you or one of our other resident experts would chime in. This is the first I've seen someone basically write it out like this, and I was wondering if it was more common in the gay community than what we straights might think.
Its not common. Occasionally you see a 3rd hang out with a couple for a little while but it never lasts.

I've seen you post before. You seem to feel morally superior. Very judgmental and preachy.

I am the latter. I have beliefs that I strongly cling to.

But none of it is driven by alleged moral superiority.

I think we are indeed slouching toward disaster. Too little discipline, and too little willingness for folks to say “that is wrong”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT