ADVERTISEMENT

How do we feel about polygamy?

I don't think this can be an absolute.

The concern I would have with polygamy is the chances of a 2 on 1 gang up. I think the chances are too goo that 1 man and one woman would exploit another, weaker woman.

I am not in favor of polygamy being legal.

Do you understand what “consenting” means?

Reactions: dandh
What the United States government did to the Mormons was absolutely unconstitutional. Freedom of religion my ass.

Pretty sure it has to do with how our tax system works. If married households get a break in the tax table (vs someone who is single) the having potentially 3 married income earns could be considered even if further benefit to the household. However it could work the other way and be a detriment.

For sure this law is about the treatment of income taxes in this country.

Yes. I also understand what “exploiting the vulnerable” means.

How about consenting and as long as they are not hurting anyone else?

Lots of people get exploited in relationships.

Every time it has been done it is a disaster. It isn't like there aren't examples to look at where people have done it even in this country. It isn't good for anyone.

How about consenting and as long as they are not hurting anyone else?

Yes, that would in theory be fine. But our laws in part are to protect against likely damage, even though they sometimes make specific cases that would work illegal.

It comes down to public policy, and a macro view of what is best for our society. We as small d democrats have decided polygamy is bad for our society. I agree.

Yes, that would in theory be fine. But our laws in part are to protect against likely damage, even though they sometimes make specific cases that would work illegal.

It comes down to public policy, and a macro view of what is best for our society. We as small d democrats have decided polygamy is bad for our society. I agree.

I think it is more about tax laws and receipts.

Pretty sure it has to do with how our tax system works. If married households get a break in the tax table (vs someone who is single) the having potentially 3 married income earns could be considered even if further benefit to the household. However it could work the other way and be a detriment.

I agree. Plus insurance coverage, although that could be sorted out by a policy of the insurance company.

On the other hand, multiple wives, multiple divorces, multiple alimony payments. Of course you can have that now, just have to do it one at a time.

I think it is more about tax laws and receipts.

There is more room for abuse under the current system. The man is only technically married to one of the women so the other wives can make every claim for benefits there is. They would be better off legalizing it and making the husband responsible for all of them financially.

the people who think it is all called Aztlan think so
So Trump thinks that. Figures. He thinks the Hurricane was hitting Alabama too. This is your your guy. Lol...
1172289651.jpg.0.jpg

tenor.gif

I highly doubt they pay taxes

So Trump thinks that. Figures. He thinks the Hurricane was hitting Alabama too. This is your your guy. Lol...
1172289651.jpg.0.jpg

tenor.gif
I guess you probably don't know about the Aztlan movement, but no, they are polar opposites of trump. they are leftist mexican activists. AOC types.

I can barely handle one wife, so I question who in their right mind would want more than one. That said, government shouldn’t determine who marries who and how many they should marry.
As long as they are adults? Polygamy seems to get into the idea of having younger and younger wives, down to too young.

I don't care what consenting adults do. Legally I think govt tax benefits should only apply to the first marriage, though. Gets too complicated otherwise.

I don't care what consenting adults do. Legally I think govt tax benefits should only apply to the first marriage, though. Gets too complicated otherwise.
yes because to liberals, taxes is all that matters above all else. these folks probably don't pay taxes. they are ghosts. living off the grid. might as well be from honduras or mexico. no social security number. gave birth to them on the compound. probably no birth certificate.

Had an interesting situation arise today and got me thinking. Obviously, it is illegal in all 50 states. Should it be? Why? If a man had 2 "wives" living with him, common law, not legally married, is he breaking the law? I have heard people argue that if a man has 2 wives, even if they consent, they can't actually consent because the man is exerting power over them. What if a woman has 2 husbands. Should that be viewed the same?

I think it's only illegal to be legally married to both of them. I suppose the law may say that you can't present the one you arn't married to as your wife either.

But I doubt there is a law against living together.

I think that I'm pretty ok with the way the laws stand. Shouldn't be illegal to live together or live like as a polygamous husband if both partners are ok with it. But at the same time our marriage laws should not follow suit.

The big problem is that our marriage laws, inheritance laws, medical laws and everything revolve around the idea of having only one partner. You would have to re-write a bunch of laws if you could legally have 2.

If you have 2 partners who makes medical decisions for you if you can't do so yourself? If you have 2 partners who inherits if you die? Do both partners get access to certain spousal benefits you may have earned? If you have 2 partners are they both exempt from testifying against you in court? If those partners are not married to one another are they exempt from testifying against each other? Can you work at a job with good health insurance and have your 20 husbands and wives all get health insurance through your work?

If we switch it around and a woman has 2 husbands, are we forced to perform a DNA test on every child she bears to decide who is responsible for and receives parental rights over the children?

What kind of legal troubles would come up if a group of 5 women and 5 men decide to marry each other. As in each man has 5 wives and 4 husbands and each woman has 4 wives and 5 husbands.

yes because to liberals, taxes is all that matters above all else. these folks probably don't pay taxes. they are ghosts. living off the grid. might as well be from honduras or mexico. no social security number. gave birth to them on the compound. probably no birth certificate.

You're a strange fella

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT