ADVERTISEMENT

How do we slow down Barkley/mcsorely?

mustang_horsepower

HR All-State
Sep 21, 2013
defense has been suspect this year at times... How can we keep them in check?

One big one is just wrap up! We've missed too many tackles... That'd be a good start.

Oh and if mcsorely pulls this crap Saturday id like a flag thank you.....can't stand this. You do it to wadley then do it here.

1000_h.jpg

One big one is just wrap up! We've missed too many tackles... That'd be a good start.

Oh and if mcsorely pulls this crap Saturday id like a flag thank you.....can't stand this. You do it to wadley then do it here.

1000_h.jpg
Won't happen but we need to play more nickel in my opinion so Barkley isn't lined up against linebackers 1 on 1

Tackle better than you have tackled before. Plan better than you have before. Play harder and smarter than you have before. Fulfill your assignments to the letter and on every play.

Reactions: David1979

1000_h.jpg
The swinging the bat and watching the homer thing is super weird and lame. Wrong sport dude. Must not be smart? Good player though, has my respect. Just a bit of a dork, that's all.

A spread offense with really good athletes is our kryptonite. Run blitz with the intention of sacking the qb on passes. Hopefully the annual night game at Kinnick against a top 5 team jinx for the opposing team holds true here.

Reactions: MadDogC
A spread offense with really good athletes is our kryptonite. Run blitz with the intention of sacking the qb on passes. Hopefully the annual night game at Kinnick against a top 5 team jinx for the opposing team holds true here.
We've got some shoring up to do and this game is a great opportunity to do just that. With zero expectations, I'm looking forward to seeing how we respond.

Go up to two of your redshirt freshmen and give them these specific instructions:

"I want you to kick them.....in the balls.....as hard as you can."
I have a feeling at some point in the game one of our freshman is going to run up and kick McSorely square in the balls as hard as he can and you'll be sitting somewhere just smiling and nodding your head.

Northwestern's unathletic spread used to give us fits. Now we have much better athletes running these same concepts.

i say if we run 90 plays this weekend, that would be a pretty good way to slow them down. Make them sustain drives and need to get pressure on McSorely. Barkley will get his, need to stop everyone else.

Teams haven't really stacked the box vs PSU to stop Barkley, but they have had the LB's attack Barkley at the snap which is why he has been hit behind the line of scrimmage so much. It's also why play action has been so successful in the pass game because linebackers really attack the line.

PSU's offense is most successful when McSorley is making the correct read on the zone read and having success running the ball. Against Indiana last year McSorley had a hurt ankle and the Indiana defense paid little attention to McSorley resulting in Barkley having one of his worst statistical games of his career. If McSorley was healthy he would have ran for 150 that game.

Jewells quote seems like maybe last year is not forgotten in what was stated about the Hawks quitting in the game.

have the defense that played against Wyoming show up, but even NT only racked up 112 yards rushing and a total of 305 yards,

I have a feeling at some point in the game one of our freshman is going to run up and kick McSorely square in the balls as hard as he can and you'll be sitting somewhere just smiling and nodding your head.
It'll be one of my proudest moments as a Hawkeye fan. :cool:

1). Wrap up, solid technique, FLOCK TO THE BALL AND GANG TACKLE. Clog up the middle.

2). Try to avoid Bo Bower getting matched up with Barkley whenever possible.

3). START AJ, let him do his thing and don't force him to stay in his lane the whole time. He'll pressure McSorely.

4). Have vertical elements to our passing game and also get Wadley involved in the passing game as much as possible.

I don't think you're going to stop Barkley. Load up the box and he'll still kill you in the passing game because JoMo will exploit it.

The way to stop McSorley is to keep him in the pocket and don't let him scramble...not run, but scramble. Then pray his accuracy is off. That's what PITT did and he had an off day. Problem is, PITT already tried that approach and I'm sure JoMo has coached him up as a result.

1000_h.jpg
The D-line has to really step it up. A major disappointment in my eyes.

I hated it when NT ran straight up the middle for 9 yards.

The D-line has to really step it up. A major disappointment in my eyes.

I hated it when NT ran straight up the middle for 9 yards.
the DL's job is to funnel the plays toward the LB'rs and let them make the plays. this what the defenses did under Fry and Norm Parker and it worked,

the defensive front 4 doesn't need to get fancy just straight up smash them in the mouth FB.

I would welcome McSorely running the ball and taking away touches from Barkley.

You can bet we'll commit to setting the edge and having 2-3 guys rally to the ball carrier every running down.

We’ll probably give you a good deal of space on passing downs and make you burn clock and prove consistency in your passing game.

McSorley will need to fumble or throw an INT, or both. So I’d rather he have the ball as much as possible

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT