ADVERTISEMENT

How do you feel about Congress stock trading?

Haven't read the bill to know hat exactly it entails but I fully endorse the idea. Far too many, on both sides of the aisles, have clearly profited millions off of insider knowledge from the committees they sit on. I also think those people who have clearly acted on insider trading in congress need to face real penalty for what they did. Claw the money back and put them in jail if deserved (Martha Stuart style)

Not sure what to think. Way too much inside advantage when you are in these positions and investing... And way too much corporate involvement in our politics.

But you are also reducing the pool of candidates for elected positions. People that want to invest and secure their families future by investing.... Do you want to discourage these people from running for office?

I'll admit that I haven't read the bill, so just speaking in hypothetical.

Reactions: seminoleed
Not sure what to think. Way too much inside advantage when you are in these positions and investing... And way too much corporate involvement in our politics.

But you are also reducing the pool of candidates for elected positions. People that want to invest and secure their families future by investing.... Do you want to discourage these people from running for office?

I'll admit that I haven't read the bill, so just speaking in hypothetical.
I assume it would not prohibit investing generally, just trading individual stocks?

Since this was introduced by a Democrat, the GOP must be against it, by default.

I do not see a single GOP Senator involved in crafting this.

Mr. Merkley (for himself, Mr. Brown, Mrs. Gillibrand, Mr. King, Mr. Sanders, Ms. Stabenow, Mrs. Shaheen, Ms. Duckworth, Mr. Casey, Mr. Welch, Mr. Luján, Mr. Fetterman, Ms. Hirono, Ms. Cortez Masto, Ms. Baldwin, Mr. Van Hollen, Mr. Cardin, Mr. Tester, Mr. Heinrich, Mr. Kaine, and Mr. Blumenthal) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs

Since this was introduced by a Democrat, the GOP must be against it, by default.

I do not see a single GOP Senator involved in crafting this.

Mr. Merkley (for himself, Mr. Brown, Mrs. Gillibrand, Mr. King, Mr. Sanders, Ms. Stabenow, Mrs. Shaheen, Ms. Duckworth, Mr. Casey, Mr. Welch, Mr. Luján, Mr. Fetterman, Ms. Hirono, Ms. Cortez Masto, Ms. Baldwin, Mr. Van Hollen, Mr. Cardin, Mr. Tester, Mr. Heinrich, Mr. Kaine, and Mr. Blumenthal) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Hawley is for it

figures that Romney is against it, scumbag.
How else would public servants increase their wealth 100x while on a 100,000 per year salary?
The former House Speaker nearly tripled the S&P 500's returns in 2023, giving her the ninth-best returns among members of Congress, according to options trading platform operator Unusual Whales. However, all of Pelosi's disclosures of trades listed her husband, Paul Pelosi, as the owner.
As of December 27, 2023, the S&P 500 was up about 24% for the year, which is its best performance since 2021.

I would be all for Congress having insider trading knowledge if that knowledge was available to the general public in real time. I know capitoltrades.com is available for use but I believe those trades are updated every 45 days.

If the common man and woman cannot access insider trading, then the elected officials the common man and woman put in office should not have access either.

Who are the members of the GOP formally supporting the bill?

Hawley is not. Yet.
He MIGHT, but he is NOT on the sponsorship list, is he?

Goalpost-moving, indeed.
Not moving any goalpost just responding to you.
It's weird you couldn't even give YOUR OWN feeling about my question. You immediately jumped into hive mind and had to immediately make sure you made your side look as good as possible when BOTH SIDES are clearly guilty of it.
Have a beautiful day Joes Place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT