ADVERTISEMENT

How good has Keegan Murray been in conference play?

jonesy5960

HR Legend
Sep 6, 2012
On a per 40 basis:
#2 in PER at 27.4 (Garza #1 at 30.8)
#1 in EFG% at 66%
#1 in FG% at 60%. Nobody else is shooting 50%
#3 in FT% at 84% (JBO at 92% and Nunge at 89%)
#4 in 3pt FG% at 41% (JW AT 50%, CJ at 46% and JBO at 44%)
#3 in Points (Garza #1, Wieskamp #2)
#2 in Rebounds (Nunge #1)
#2 in Steals (Toussaint #1)
#2 in Blocks (Nunge #1)

The kid's got game.

Last edited:
Best defender is a tough call. Perkins was able to shut down Ayo.

I think they are both excellent defenders but I give the nod to Keegan because of his length and defensive rebounding skills. Keegan can guard 1-4 if he has to. I don't think that Perkins has the size to go against 3-4. There is a lot of defensive skill coming off the bench besides these 2.

Along with being a good basketball player, Keegan is a hell of an athlete compared to most of the team. He seems to effortlessly sky high when jumping. Not as explosive as Tyler Cook was when attacking the rim, but possibly a more well rounded athlete. Looking forward to potentially 4 more seasons with him and watching his growth.

Along with being a good basketball player, Keegan is a hell of an athlete compared to most of the team. He seems to effortlessly sky high when jumping. Not as explosive as Tyler Cook was when attacking the rim, but possibly a more well rounded athlete. Looking forward to potentially 4 more seasons with him and watching his growth.
He certainly seems to have quick hops like TC has.
Kid is fun to watch and if his brother is as good as him next year....

On a per 40 basis:
#1 in EFG% at 66%
#2 in Blocks (Nunge #1)

The kid's got game.
Keegan is special.

On a per 40 basis:
#1 in EFG% at 66%
#2 in Blocks (Nunge #1)

The kid's got game.
If all this were true, why on earth would Keegan only average 17 min/ game, and only 17 minutes in each conference loss
( at 1st I thought it was foul trouble, but he’s only had more than 3 fouls, 3x in 14 conf games]

I was looking at stats of Keegan vs Nicholas Baer recently, because I felt like Baer was a reasonable floor for Keegan's future. I was actually a little surprised to see that on a tempo-free basis, Keegan was better than Baer's career bests in Offensive Rebound %, Total Rebound %, Steal %, Block %, 3pt% and FT%. Baer was a better passer and turned it over a little less, but I was very happy to see Keegan was better already in most of the categories that I thought Baer excelled.

That means we have a damned good player already, and hopefully one who will grow into a star.

Keegan and Patrick on the floor together 25-30 minutes/game in the future with their length and athleticism will make Iowa a much better defensive team both in the half court and in pressing situations. What Keegan has shown so far and what his ceiling seems to be is as good as any Iowa freshman since ????

Keegan and Patrick on the floor together 25-30 minutes/game in the future with their length and athleticism will make Iowa a much better defensive team both in the half court and in pressing situations. What Keegan has shown so far and what his ceiling seems to be is as good as any Iowa freshman since ????
What I like about both is that they go to the hoop hard. With added minutes foul trouble may be there for both due to their aggressive styles.

Reactions: Jumpshot00
I'd say take a step back and tell me who of the players that have seen considerable minutes this season(so 10-11 players) has not been a key to winning at least one game?
This group of people is the largest real TEAM I can ever remember.

There are actually only 9 players that have played considerable minutes in conference with those being Keegan, Nunge, Pmac and Toussaint along with the starters. Perkins has only recently been getting minutes outside of garbage time since CJ has been injured. I agree that they have all had their moments, but in terms of consistent all around impact on the game, Keegan has been fantastic.

If all this were true, why on earth would Keegan only average 17 min/ game, and only 17 minutes in each conference loss
( at 1st I thought it was foul trouble, but he’s only had more than 3 fouls, 3x in 14 conf games]
Nothing lines up with what you said.
When CJ was playing, it was just the fact we have too many guys that need minutes.
Since CJ has gotten hurt:
He played 32 minutes against Illinois.
27 minutes against Rutgers, despite CJ playing.
20 minutes against OSU.
These minutes are all good.

MSU 16 minutes, 4 fouls. Picked up his 2nd foul with 10 minutes left in the first half and sat. Second half, blowout game, he played :40 of the last 10 minutes because he picked up his 4th foul at the 10 minute mark. What more do you want?

Indiana second game: Played 16 minutes, picked up his 2nd foul at the 15 minute mark of the first half. Sat for 10 minutes. No choice. Ending up fouling out with 3 minutes left. He fought foul trouble and had to sit because of it.

Indiana first game: 14 minutes, CJ played first half. Picked up 3 fouls in the first five minutes of the second half. He picked up his fourth foul with 8 minutes left, and had to sit for a bit.

Literally every game he has played under 20 minutes lately, it was because of fouls.

On a per 40 basis:
#1 in EFG% at 66%
#2 in Blocks (Nunge #1)

The kid's got game.
Great stats, thanks for posting. It also affirms that Nunge is playing very well, leading us in rebounds, block shots and 2nd in FT %.

Nothing lines up with what you said.
When CJ was playing, it was just the fact we have too many guys that need minutes.
Since CJ has gotten hurt:
He played 32 minutes against Illinois.
27 minutes against Rutgers, despite CJ playing.
20 minutes against OSU.
These minutes are all good.

MSU 16 minutes, 4 fouls. Picked up his 2nd foul with 10 minutes left in the first half and sat. Second half, blowout game, he played :40 of the last 10 minutes because he picked up his 4th foul at the 10 minute mark. What more do you want?

Indiana second game: Played 16 minutes, picked up his 2nd foul at the 15 minute mark of the first half. Sat for 10 minutes. No choice. Ending up fouling out with 3 minutes left. He fought foul trouble and had to sit because of it.

Indiana first game: 14 minutes, CJ played first half. Picked up 3 fouls in the first five minutes of the second half. He picked up his fourth foul with 8 minutes left, and had to sit for a bit.

Literally every game he has played under 20 minutes lately, it was because of fouls.

It's true that over the last 6 games or so it's been fouls that have limited Keegan's minutes more than anything else.

I was looking at stats of Keegan vs Nicholas Baer recently, because I felt like Baer was a reasonable floor for Keegan's future. I was actually a little surprised to see that on a tempo-free basis, Keegan was better than Baer's career bests in Offensive Rebound %, Total Rebound %, Steal %, Block %, 3pt% and FT%. Baer was a better passer and turned it over a little less, but I was very happy to see Keegan was better already in most of the categories that I thought Baer excelled.

That means we have a damned good player already, and hopefully one who will grow into a star.
Keegan will be a starter level Baer, so yeah good.

Great stats, thanks for posting. It also affirms that Nunge is playing very well, leading us in rebounds, block shots and 2nd in FT %.

I agree. Nunge has been excellent as well. His defense and rebounding have been great all year. He's also had 3 of his best offensive efforts over the past 5 games. Hopefully he becomes more consistent on that end.

He definitely gets called for some pretty ticky tac stuff out there. He and JT get zero zebra love.
Joe gets picked on because he's so fast and aggressive at times, but most of those are understandable.

Keegan seems like he gets those reach-in and pull away at the last second fouls that refs call to pick on guys just for doing that.....and also because he's a freshman.

Not all his fouls are necessarily bad calls, but a result of Keegan, sometimes (less so than more) being late to help/react on D (because freshman)....and MORE SO at times having to go out of his way to play help defense because other guys got beat or caught napping, and Keegan just couldn't get in a good position without fouling in time.

That always frustrates me because he'll get punished for fouling, but he was only trying to cover someone else's mistake......

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Joe gets picked on because he's so fast and aggressive at times, but most of those are understandable.

Keegan seems like he gets those reach-in and pull away at the last second fouls that refs call to pick on guys just for doing that.....and also because he's a freshman.

Not all his fouls are necessarily bad calls, but a result of Keegan, sometimes (less so than more) being late to help/react on D (because freshman)....and MORE SO at times having to go out of his way to play help defense because other guys got beat or caught napping, and Keegan just couldn't get in a good position without fouling in time.

That always frustrates me because he'll get punished for fouling, but he was only trying to cover someone else's mistake......

It just seems so inconsistent for both. I've played back some of Joe T's travel and foul calls and in several cases I've found nothing that he did wrong. It was simply the officials either anticipating a foul or Joe going so fast it looked like he did something but upon review did nothing. And then other times he gets bumped or fouled and nothing is called. Has to be very frustrating for the player.

Last edited:
It just seems so inconsistent for both. I've played back some of Joe T's travel and foul calls and in several cases I've found nothing that he did wrong. It was simply the officials either anticipating a foul or Joe going so fast it looked like he did something but upon review did nothing. Has to be very frustrating for the player.

College bball fans & refs are always calling for travels, especially when it's not a travel.

Because we have a player that can pass well while not rebounding, defending, or scoring taking too many minutes.

Reactions: KcTo
Then tell the refs to stop f***ing calling fouls on him, because we need him out there......

tenor.gif

How many more lbs does Keegan need to gain to really explode without dropping in quickness, speed, etc, maybe 10-15 lbs?

I'd love to see he and Kris add about 20 more lbs of muscle. It will only help with blocking out and also as they drive the lane to finish through contact. It is easy to still keep everything in tact quickness and agility wise, if they bulk up properly and don't just add "pretty muscles for the ladies". I think the two of them are still in the filling out stages and with another year or two, will naturally fill out 10-15 lbs, before additional muscle added.

Because we have a player that can pass well while not rebounding, defending, or scoring taking too many minutes.
Are you talking about CJF....? ConMac...? Or both...? As they both, to a degree, fit that description...

ADVERTISEMENT