ADVERTISEMENT

How important is a bowl game during the play-off era?

87alum87

All-Conference
Aug 28, 2009
Dahinda, IL
1. A chance to add a quality win. 9 wins seems a lot better than 8 to me.
2. An opportunity for another month's worth of practice.
3. After a full season's worth of practice and bowl prep, a true freshman might shine without losing eligibility.
4. A rewarding travel opportunity for players, and their family members.
5. Conference bragging rights, leading to perceived conference strength for the next year
6. Chance to finished ranked, which can lead to a higher pre-season ranking and maybe an extra night game early in the season for the next year.
7. Coaching bonuses.

While those things might not mean much to an individual player in his last season, cumulatively as a team, there is still much to play for.

Reactions: speed4power
Bowl games are just as important now as they've ever been.

Some fans have bitched and whined and convinced themselves they don't matter.

They've always been exhibitions. But they've always counted on your final record, just as they do now.

They're very important. Mostly for the extra practice and experience for younger guys. The games and results are less meaningful now than ever, but it's still nice to go into the offseason on a winning note.

Its enormously important for a school like Iowa in recruiting. We cannot sell a likely conference title or playoff birth but we can say we usually go to bowls. That immediately separates Iowa from many of the teams against which we recruit.

Then there is winning bowl games...another point of separation for a program.

Then the quality of the bowl game. January 1 bowls have great TV audiences that exposes the program on a national level.

Then winning quality bowl games is another important demarcation point. That's where we need to pick it up. Defeating a ranked Mississippi State team would be a great event for Iowa football.

It's a chance for a bunch of Iowa fans to get together and root for the team they love. It means nothing, but sports mean nothing in general. They don't have anything to do with most people's lives. It's entertainment. If you invest your time in the entertainment of the Iowa Hawkeyes, then watching them play 1 more game is it's own reward.

The six Bowl games on New Year's seem to capture
the TV audience. It gives nation wide exposure to
your program and offers free advertising to your school.
The Playoffs only involve 4 teams at the present time.
Twelve teams play on New Year's Day and is still a
great celebration of college football for the fans and
the players.

Reactions: hawkhorn
I know some people say they don't matter, and I definitely don't agree in most cases. Granted, there are way too many bowls and I think some of them lack the meaning bowl games were initially intended to have, but that doesn't mean they can't be beneficial.

I think the issue becomes: do they matter enough for players to risk millions of dollars to play in them? I think not mattering and not mattering enough are two very different things that people get tripped up on, and the latter is obviously player dependent.

Reactions: TugsMcGee
They matter for all the reasons previously stated. Anyone that says they don't matter or are "just exhibition games" has a losing mentality. That is not the mentality of a winner or a competitor.

Also if I'm an NFL GM deciding who to draft and have a choice between two equaly talented guys- one who competed in the bowl game and one who didn't, I take the former. I want a winner on my team.

Last edited:
They matter for all the reasons previously stated. Anyone that says they don't matter or are "just exhibition games" has a losing mentality. That is not the mentality of a winner or a competitor.

Also if I'm an NFL GM deciding who to draft and have a choice between two equaly talented guys- one who competed in the bowl game and one you didn't, I take the former. I want a winner on my team.
LOL, you as a GM

Bowl Games are great... if you haven't been to one or taken part in the events leading up to the game you just can not understand how rewarding it is for players and fans.

It's not always about playing the game to determine who is the National Champion. Some of the better bowls provide lifetime memories for the players and fans.

I feel like some of the importance was diminished when the bowl pecking order became so difficult to understand. Without some sort of true rank, it feels as if its a "everyone gets a trophy" system where its difficult to tell 3rd place from 6th.

The importance is waning quickly from the fans and players. I think you will see an addition to playoff teams sooner than later.

Also if I'm an NFL GM deciding who to draft and have a choice between two equaly talented guys- one who competed in the bowl game and one who didn't, I take the former. I want a winner on my team.

Ever left a job for more money or ever hired someone who is moving up?

Ever left a job for more money or ever hired someone who is moving up?

Yes and yes.

Before leaving for the new job I made sure to finish the project the previous group was paying me to do, and I look for the same quality in people I hire.

I'm not saying leaving before you've finished what you were being paid to do makes you a bad person, but it would make me question your loyalty and dedication to the "team" effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT