ADVERTISEMENT

How is your holiday season shopping going?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
The wife said she wants an electric snow shovel for Christmas. I thought it was a scam, but, basically it's a hand held snow blower.
I also purchased a fine looking clutch from Jill's Homestead, an Iowa based leather goods manufacturer. No idea if they make shoes @hawkbirch For fun I purchased a llama shaped plant holder, just the right size for a succulent. Mrs. Lucas has a bunch of succulents on the window sill in our kitchen, and her favorite thing to see when we visit the Minnesota Zoo are the llamas. I feel rather clever about this gift.
How is your Christmas, Kwanzaa, and Hanukkah shopping progressing?

Reactions: BrianNole777
Some people deserve coal. Others deserve candy. Everyone knows who they are. Thanks for sharing this.

I mailed out about 35 Christmas/Holiday cards this week so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Reactions: Faithfull
Kids and I have been paddle boarding and kayaking more and more the last couple years but just rent the paddle boards at the lake. They kept saying all summer they wanted their own so, that is what they are getting. Not a single one of them have asked for it as summer is long forgotten about, but they are going to love them. As they get older, I am trying to be practical with presents they will enjoy as they leave the house.

That is my win, I think, so far. As for the rest…. A big fat negative. No pic wife and I hit the mall up after the broncos game on Sunday. After 20 minutes of that shit show, I was trying to figure out what I needed to accomplish purchasing wise to convince my wife it was a successful trip and we could hit happy hour. Needless to say, my wife, who is pretty much always on the same page as I, said to me after We purchased a small bottle of cologne for my son, “time for happy hour?” So, happy hour we went.

Thats it. That is all I have so far. With 3 kids, I should probably get motivated.

My shopping is on hold until we decide if we are taking girls to Disney while in Orlando. Ticket prices are outrageous.
Unless you intend to go back, I would suggest just doing it with the purchased advantages. You have to make the most of your limited time. I will say universal is just as greedy, basically making you stay at their more expensive resorts to get fast passes or whatever they call them. But, there they are unlimited and you get sick of rides you want to do before the day runs out.

The wife said she wants an electric snow shovel for Christmas. I thought it was a scam, but, basically it's a hand held snow blower.
I also purchased a fine looking clutch from Jill's Homestead, an Iowa based leather goods manufacturer. No idea if they make shoes @hawkbirch For fun I purchased a llama shaped plant holder, just the right size for a succulent. Mrs. Lucas has a bunch of succulents on the window sill in our kitchen, and her favorite thing to see when we visit the Minnesota Zoo are the llamas. I feel rather clever about this gift.
How is your Christmas, Kwanzaa, and Hanukkah shopping progressing?
Thinking we will do phone upgrades and cash. Kids are 16 and 19 and that is what they want.

Reactions: pink shizzle
The wife said she wants an electric snow shovel for Christmas.
giphy.gif

Got the wife some new pj's, a couple of new lounge outfits for the weekends. Couple of sweatshirts and a pair of boots. Nothing crazy.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Got the wife some new pj's, a couple of new lounge outfits for the weekends. Couple of sweatshirts and a pair of boots. Nothing crazy.
A purchase of Ugg slippers or something just occurred. Shockingly expensive. It was a self-directed gift so if that’s what she wants so be it.

Reactions: beanerhawk
Unless you intend to go back, I would suggest just doing it with the purchased advantages. You have to make the most of your limited time. I will say universal is just as greedy, basically making you stay at their more expensive resorts to get fast passes or whatever they call them. But, there they are unlimited and you get sick of rides you want to do before the day runs out.
They want to go to the Magic Kingdom. Where’s the best place to get tickets? Which add one are worth it?

kid- Done
Nieces and nephews- Done
Parents- Done except my MIL
Siblings- Done
Couple of friends kids- Done
Wife- We don't exchange gifts

This is the first year we didn't wait until the last minute and it feels good.

They want to go to the Magic Kingdom. Where’s the best place to get tickets? Which add one are worth it?
This is going to sound sexist, but my wife did all the planning for that so I'm not really sure. All I know is that we had to pay extra for fast passes or lightning passes or genie passes or whatever they are called, and we only got a few each day. it is explained here: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/travel/how-does-disney-fastpass-work#:~:text=In the past, Disney offered,"new FastPass" system works. You have to get up at 6 am to book the rides. Frankly, at Magic Kingdom, the only one I would care to do that for is Tron. It is a new ride which was down for maintenance when we visited this summer.

As an aside, how old are your kids? If they are old enough to not want to be fairy tale princesses, I would say Magic Kingdom is the worst of the 4 parks. For us, the best ride at any of the Disney parks was the Avatar "ride" at Animal Kingdom. You don't actually go anywhere but you are on some stationary flying dinosaur kind of thing with a virtual reality thing going on. It is the best ride of its kind by far, and we all agreed. This list also agrees: https://www.mousehacking.com/blog/every-walt-disney-world-ride-ranked Plus, animal kingdom is so different with "grungy" vibe (well, a Disney version of grungy). It also has expedition everest and Kilimanjaro Safaris, as well as the bug's life tree of life thing.

Also, here is a thread where much of this and allocating time between parks was discussed this summer:

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkbirch
We are just about done with everyone. Checked just about everything off at either Amazon or Fanatics last week. A few more to get but well ahead of the game. Wife and I don't exchange gifts but this year we are spending Christmas in the Dominican Republic so I plan to give her a few "gifts" down there.

Hannukah shopping done since it starts tomorrow. We haven't even put our tree up yet. We'll get to shopping later but have to figure out the plan for Christmas dinner 1st.

A purchase of Ugg slippers or something just occurred. Shockingly expensive. It was a self-directed gift so if that’s what she wants so be it.
Ugg slippers are well worth the money. They last a long time and are comfortable in ways I didn’t know slippers could be.

I am done with the wife's gifts.

I have gotten pretty good about keeping a word document list at work that any time I think of anything throughout the year that would be a good gift idea, I put it on there and then come about November 20th, a few simple clicks on Amazon or that particular brands website and boom, done in a matter of minutes.

one brother is done. Have one thing for the wife so far. Need to get cracking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT