ADVERTISEMENT

How many albums/tapes/cds did you own?

noleclone2

HR Legend
May 4, 2015
Not as much as this guy ( sidebar, The Church are a criminally underrated band-one of the best ever)

However, the lab has now been given a new lease of life as a vibrantly hued, maze-like music archive and hub, which will be opened up to creatives visiting or living in the Portuguese city. Created by guitarist Marty Willson-Piper of Australian psych-pop icons the Church, the In Deep Music Archive houses an expansive, painstakingly curated collection of over 65,000 vinyl records. To put things into perspective, that’s about the same as legendary California beatmaker DJ Shadow (per Questlove’s estimate) and not far off the 70,000-rich haul famously sold by Elton John for his AIDS Foundation charity in 1993. Add to this the 15,000 CDs, cassettes, stacks of prime vintage gear (which includes Rickenbacker 6- and 12-strings and a Roland space echo unit), and memorabilia-like signed concert posters and David Bowie Barbie dolls, and you’ve got a veritable candy shop for music enthusiasts. Virtuosic drummer Virgil Donati, members of Brian Jonestown Massacre, and Dais Records mavericks Drab Majesty have all paid the archive a visit since Willson-Piper and his wife Olivia first sourced the premises in spring 2023.

I have 2 of those big leather cd cases full. Although several of those were downloaded through limewire and burned on blank CDs. Still have them for no reason, all of it is backed up on an external hard drive.

I used to just buy singles at Walmart in the mid 90s. I'd get full LPs for a couple artists when I liked most of the songs on the album.

When Napster hit, I had a HP desktop that could burn MP3s to CDs. I had a lot of "mix tape" CDs in the early 2000s.

41ND50MF3TL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Reactions: funksouljon
Before PirateBay, I had several hundred CDs I had collected throughout the years. We had a house party and some asshat nicked one of my CD cases. Worst part, it had a Bob Marley collection CD set that I picked up in Spain, so have never seen it since (this was pre-internet).

After Napster, Gnutella and Pirate Bay, created hundreds using the same method as @fredjr82

Now, down to 40 or so as they disappear or get too scratched.

Reactions: fredjr82
I spent a lot of enjoyable time building playlists on cassettes way back in the day from a combo of vinyl and CD sources. Along came the IPod and I did a good bit more.
Our IPod is ancient and a bit glitchy, but I still fire it off when doing man things in the basement.

Anybody have a simple suggestion for building playlists onto an IPad? We don’t have a desktop anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT