ADVERTISEMENT

How many bank accounts do you have?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I'm talking checking or savings. Mrs. Lucas and I have six in between the two of us. She pointed out to me last night that one of them doesn't have her name on it, and when am I fixing that? It's an account I inherited, and just never bothered to put her name on.

Joint checking, joint savings and the business account in my name. Will be getting rid of the business acct in a couple months, so we will only have the two.

A primary checking account for most transactions
A second checking account I use for wires
A joint checking account with my ex (no pics)

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
1 household joint checking for regular operating
1 joint savings
1 joint checking funded for expenses on 2nd home and our boat.
I keep 1 separate individual checking account for gift checks that I get from my 95 year old grandmother. It usually covers our property taxes for the year and I use the rest for gifts.

I strongly suggeset for the sake of your family to not have a series of accounts at separate institutions. People get old, they get dementia, they have heart attacks, people move, etc. It's not like banks are reading the obituaries and are hunting down next of kin if there's no activity on an account. It's not like your family is going to send your death certificate to every bank and credit union that existed during your lifetime. It becomes an even bigger mess if the money is in a trust account that has been sitting at a bank in a retail product that predates their current trust systems that were opened by a bank that they acquired. The money just sits there.

I strongly suggeset for the sake of your family to not have a series of accounts at separate institutions. People get old, they get dementia, they have heart attacks, people move, etc. It's not like banks are reading the obituaries and are hunting down next of kin if there's no activity on an account. It's not like your family is going to send your death certificate to every bank and credit union that existed during your lifetime. It becomes an even bigger mess if the money is in a trust account that has been sitting at a bank in a retail product that predates their current trust systems that were opened by a bank that they acquired. The money just sits there.
Sure, but I am dead, so do I really care? 😀

One checking one savings. I can’t imagine why I’d want another.
You never know when you might have to jam.
True story, I was at the gym one day and a guy was talking about his son getting married. He said he'd advised him to always keep $1000 somewhere safe in case he needed to take off and start over on his own. 1. That seems like terrible marital advice. 2. $1000? This was maybe 7-8 years ago, too.

I'm talking checking or savings. Mrs. Lucas and I have six in between the two of us. She pointed out to me last night that one of them doesn't have her name on it, and when am I fixing that? It's an account I inherited, and just never bothered to put her name on.
OMG. The stories you two have!

Main checking
Main savings
Emergency savings
Farm 1 checking account (wife and me)
Farm 2 checking account (dad and me)

Nothing wrong in off shore. When I was in Grand Cayman, I went to RBS to find out how much $$$$ I needed to set up such an account. In 2008, it was one million usd. Now, it's more like five million usd.

Many developing countries allow investment in their financial exchanges and if you own adr's, in essence you're owning a foreign company. Just be truthful with the irs. Problem solved.

For our everyday use, we use one bank account. We have some CD's with other banks as well as a couple of safe-deposit boxes. We also own rental properties, one account per property, so we have a bunch of accounts. The vast majority of those accounts are with USAA. We do use some smaller local banks for a couple of the properties. I've also got a wells fargo account (bank and brokerage) that I inherited from my grandparents' trust when my dad passed away two years ago.

About 25 years ago, I went to a Hartford Whalers game. They were playing the Kings, who had Wayne Gretzky. It was a cold night, windy if I recall right. We were about 15 rows up in the Hartford stadium, we got there early so we could try and snag free hockey pucks from warmups, which we did. Shortly after the game started Wayne was skating to the corner ice to the puck when out of no where a Hartford Whaler speeds with great force directly into Gretzky, quite the check on Gretzke, it sent him to the ice. He got back up and was able to finish the game.

That is my checking account.

We each have our own checking, 2 joint checking accounts, and 1 savings. Not sure why everyone doesn't have their own separate checking account. Everyone deserves a bit of privacy.

my checking account
wife has her own checking account
joint checking account for bills
savings account

You never know when you might have to jam.
True story, I was at the gym one day and a guy was talking about his son getting married. He said he'd advised him to always keep $1000 somewhere safe in case he needed to take off and start over on his own. 1. That seems like terrible marital advice. 2. $1000? This was maybe 7-8 years ago, too.
$1000? lol

FaithfulHilariousKodiakbear-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT