ADVERTISEMENT

How many more years of this?

GOHOX69

HR Legend
Sep 26, 2009
Users with knowledge of Fran's contract, how many more years does he have left on it?

2028 is when it runs out thanks to barta who let him sign a contract extension during a losing season. If you are thinking "how much would it cost to fire him", 60% of what the contract is worth for the years remaining. Not a great situation considering how much the athletic department is in debt right now.

When you think about it, in 40 years now we’ve really only had one good (not great) coach in Davis. And of course one unmitigated disaster.

That’s Iowa Basketball…

Iowa produces some decent talent and most of it ends up at Iowa.

Iowa really only needs a guy that can recruit a few metropolitan areas out of state

Lute was pretty good. Raveling was incredible recruiter but left before the fruits of his recruiting bore fruit

Davis wa 0.500, Alford was 0.500, Fran is 0.500 in B1G....doesn't take anything special to get to 0.500 B1G at Iowa. What Iowa needs is an above average coach. Fran is not that guy, he's just another avearage coach at Iowa.

Things look like they will get rough after Keegan and Kris leave.

Just do what I've done. Stop caring so much. Nothing will change under FM. We lack high end talent with the exception of the Murrays. The discrepancy was on full display last night.
I hate that I've come to this place, but apathy has set in. I have found I'm less upset after a loss now. Used to piss me off for hours/days, now its just meh....

Check the football board. When you sign on at Iowa, you're all but guaranteed a lifetime contract that pays you millions. And you can play your kids and hire your relatives and have a fine old time.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky and GOHOX69
Saw a stat that showed Fran as one of four coaches since WWII that has coached 30 years without reaching a sweet 16. Think about that and Barta rewarded it handsomely.

It’s time to move on. From both Fran and Barta. New AD needs to reach out to Bruce Pearl and bring him back to Iowa with conditions put on him for no cheating but pushing the limits to get Iowa where it needs to be, making the second weekend of the NCAA tournament at the least.

Fran is basically the current version of Dr. Tom,.. remember how that ended up.

Just do what I've done. Stop caring so much. Nothing will change under FM. We lack high end talent with the exception of the Murrays. The discrepancy was on full display last night.
I hate that I've come to this place, but apathy has set in. I have found I'm less upset after a loss now. Used to piss me off for hours/days, now its just meh....
We are in Same boat. CHANGE will occur when $$$ runs dry. Go Hawks+are very tough cool Players. Same for Football. And us fans cool also.And fans have almost unlimited patience..Am old so my faulty memory helps.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Why do you guys even follow iowa sports if it gives you more grief than happiness. Do you live your life wallowing in negativity too? This just baffles me.

Reactions: dandh and F5n5
Dr. Tom got further. Fran ain't reaching the elite 8.
This.

Look, Dr. Tom was far from perfect. He was good not great, and had his share of warts as a head coach. My recollection was that on defense, his philosophy was to pack it in and focus more on limiting points in the paint, which often led to a bunch of wide open “hope they miss” 3-pointers by the opponent. Maybe in this day and age with what the 3-pointer has become, he’d be no better or worse than Fran. But he sure as hell wouldn’t surrender so many layups and we’d rebound the fvcking ball when they did miss.

But the thing I remember (and I’m sure I’m forgetting some) is that he almost always “played to seed” or even higher. His first couple years he was loaded, and he generally delivered commensurate with that. But even when he didn’t have the same level of talent after those first 2-3 years, he tended to max out or even over deliver based on what he had. Fran tends to do less with less (or less with more). Dr. Tom makes the Sweet 16 as a 5 seed in his final season and Fran can’t make a Sweet 16 as a 2. GMAFB…

2028 is when it runs out thanks to barta who let him sign a contract extension during a losing season. If you are thinking "how much would it cost to fire him", 60% of what the contract is worth for the years remaining. Not a great situation considering how much the athletic department is in debt right now.
Barta?

Let's flip what you said. You think Fran makes the elite 8 with Raveling's players? Be honest. I say no way in hades.
There's no way to know that, if YOUR being honest. What we do know is that without those players, the good Dr. (and I liked Tom as well), was an average coach and a very average recruiter, much like all the coaches who have followed him......

Reactions: NI hawk and GOHOX69
There's no way to know that, if YOUR being honest. What we do know is that without those players, the good Dr. (and I liked Tom as well), was an average coach and a very average recruiter, much like all the coaches who have followed him......
There's no way to know true but I'm sure we all have a gut feeling.

That 86-87 team was loaded with talent. However, they almost didn’t make it out if the R32 against UTEP. They trailed by like 7 or 8 with under 10 to go. Not to mention escaping In the Sweet Sixteen against OU.

I know folks around here just love the stoic good Dr. but he was as average as they come. His teams hustled and rebounded well but oftentimes the press he employed lead to layup drills for the other team.

It would be interesting to go back and see the Kenpom numbers for those teams. I don’t think you’d find the D stats to be very appealing. Much like what we are seeing now.

Reactions: NI hawk and GOHOX69
Well Jack McCaffery is a freshman at IC West so 7-8 more years I'm guessing...

This is exactly what will happen. Fran will be around 70 years old and will retire when Jack completes his eligibility.

The IA bball program should be in the best position to secure a top-tier, quality coach as the program should be the best position to do so since Dr. Tom Davis. The IA administration fumbled the ball with the Alfraud hire after the good Doctor. I trust they don't make the same mistake.

A fairly respected program, in one of the top conferences in the country, that tends to stick with their coach - assuming they play by the rules and achieve moderate success - is attractive to quality coaches.

In the meantime, enjoy the ride. Not much will really change over the next 7 years or so. Mid-level B1G finishes most years, NCAA appearances many of those seasons but no real runs in the Big Dance. The occasional NIT appearance.

It is, what it is.

Reactions: ICHerky and GOHOX69

I've finally found that place as well. I follow and watch most of the games but I don't really care much if they lose now. Might irk me some (like how the Rutgers game ended with that BS touch foul that ended the game) but I'm over it pretty quickly, if I care at all.

I used to live and die by the outcome of the games, like you. No more.

ADVERTISEMENT