ADVERTISEMENT

How many of you would run for office?

cubhawks

HR All-State
Feb 5, 2003
I feel like the pool of political candidates due to the media is killing us. As an old guy there is no way I could ever run for office. For the past 30 plus years I haven't done much stupid crap.. Not that I did stuff I feel guilty about, but some could be twisted to make me look bad. I would never potentially embarrass my family. Both political parties dig into candidates past to make them look bad, I feel that is the reason we get nothing but crap candidates. In today's world people are guilty as soon as the media puts something out.

No one, and I mean NO ONE here should run for any sort of office.
there’s a lot of intelligence and sincerity on hrot. i would pay off all (not just a measly 10k) student loans for hrot members to ensure they don’t have to waste their talents in 9 to 5 jobs.

Nah.

My masters in public admin/ political science and professional experience working with local governments and agencies would make me pretty well qualified. BUT... I wouldn't want to put my family and friends through that kind of scrutiny/ magnifying glass (and nowadays, potential physical harm). It's gotten to where you almost have to be a slimeball who doesn't care about any of that, to run for office.

I'll keep helping make things better in my own way.

I served a couple of 4 year terms on my local city commission in the 1990s. Had a number of people who wanted me to run for an open State House seat, but I declined due to work and family responsibilities (plus I had seen enough of the political world to know that it was not for me).

have-to-be-a-real-low-life-piece-of-shit-to-get-involved-in-politics-syryh-the-gang-runs-for-office

What is the O/U on the number of currently serving elected officials who post here?

2.5?

If It wasn’t for HRot dragging me down I could see Senator as a possibility, Go in as a Millionaire ( I know, poor by HRot standards) and come out a Billionaire, NRA, Big oil, They would own me.
I would shag hottie assistants in my shag carpeted office, Hell I might even vote on shit once in awhile.

I thought about it a long time ago but decided I value my privacy more. I would not last long in any event because I wouldn’t be able to compromise my integrity.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Nah.

My masters in public admin/ political science and professional experience working with local governments and agencies would make me pretty well qualified. BUT... I wouldn't want to put my family and friends through that kind of scrutiny/ magnifying glass (and nowadays, potential physical harm). It's gotten to where you almost have to be a slimeball who doesn't care about any of that, to run for office.

I'll keep helping make things better in my own way.
I understand what you are saying and feel pretty much the same way. It is unfortunate that good people are deterred from running for the reasons you stated. Unless/until changes are made in the political process, we are stuck with mostly crappy candidates that are mainly in it for the money and power.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I would totally run for US House and stare at HORT during an all night filibuster session. However, Mrs. Dragon (no pics) is a major political liability (that and my posting history).

I absolutely would and wouldn’t mind having the platform to tell the snowflake white MAGAS where to stick it.

Last edited:
  1. I don’t like many people
  2. I can’t pretend to like people
  3. I can’t and won’t try to suck up
  4. I don’t lie often/well
  5. I tell it how it is not how people want to hear it
  6. I say borderline “offensive comments” on a regular basis
  7. I laugh at “inappropriate” jokes
  8. I would admit that Blazing Saddles is an all-time classic
  9. I have said negative and derogatory things about Biden, Trump, Obama, and W
  10. I have said complimentary things about Biden, Trump, Obama, and W
  11. I am both right and left
  12. I have little sympathy for people who whine about most things.
  13. You’re likely poor because you made poor life decisions
  14. Life isn’t fair

All-in-all, I would be assassinated

• Haha
Reactions: seminoleed
  1. I don’t like many people
  2. I can’t pretend to like people
  3. I can’t and won’t try to suck up
  4. I don’t lie often/well
  5. I tell it how it is not how people want to hear it
  6. I say borderline “offensive comments” on a regular basis
  7. I laugh at “inappropriate” jokes
  8. I would admit that Blazing Saddles is an all-time classic
  9. I have said negative and derogatory things about Biden, Trump, Obama, and W
  10. I have said complimentary things about Biden, Trump, Obama, and W
  11. I am both right and left
  12. I have little sympathy for people who whine about most things.
  13. You’re likely poor because you made poor life decisions
  14. Life isn’t fair

All-in-all, I would be assassinated
You would still be better than most of the current politicians.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
No. Wouldn’t subject my family to the shitstorm. But, I’m intelligent, level-headed, moderate (by historic non-GQP standards), compassionate, and would be in it for the greater good of the country. But don’t feel like being sucked into conspiracy theory bullshit by internet dipshits or dealing with corporate lobby whores exercising their first amendment “rights” thanks to endless resources and Citizens United.

It’s interesting because people I work with from both parties say I should run for office and I tell all of them they wouldn’t vote for me at the end of the day either because of the letter next to my name or because of some bullshit that would come out during the mudslinging campaign.

tldr; people vote against their interests and corporations with endless money choose candidates.

My dad was a Jim Leach-style Republican in the Iowa House in the mid-90s. Heavily R district that he could have won forever but gave it up after six years.

Got the things done that were important to the district and didn’t see a need to continue. He simply saw it as a public service opportunity.

Now that I’m older, I’m happy he got out when he did. I wouldn’t have wanted to see how he would’ve been different with a true political career.

As for me, I’d like the opportunity to serve but I’m too middle-of-the-road and the money is just stupid, even for frikin school board races. Don’t want people looking into my past either.

Reactions: runkpanole
No way, those people are losers.

Let the Wide Right Natty Light and Big Red Sea Scrolls people run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT