ADVERTISEMENT

How many takedowns did Iowa have?

I definitely think when riding time hits 2 mins, it should be a free release to neutral. Chances are the riding point is secure, let's get some action going. Or refs start calling stalemate faster. Spiral ride or parallel for 20-30 seconds with no turn, f'n restart.

I agree with basically everything you said above but something has to be done about mat wrestling period. If we allow a top guy, I DGAF if it is Iowa or someone else, to spiral ride, double thy pry, hook the ankle, or anything else and never get off parallel then I believe people will just say F it and lose interest. If that is the type of wrestling we want fine but lets get rid of riding time altogether, you have to win by securing a point. The whole world laughs at us because we give points for it. If this is our product I am all in on freestyle period and I never thought I would say that.
I don't think you'll see any people lose interest over this issue. BTW, supposedly the Big Ten Network had the highest rated wrestling match on their channel with the match last week. I believe the number of viewers was app 380,000 people.

I'm not how sure this compares to other sports but I'm thinking people are confusing what they like with what non fans might like. It's my opinion non fans aren't going to become fans over some rule change for multiple reasons.

It's hard to find actual ratings for all of their shows but ratings wise it did ok.

For the NCAA championships, here's one article. The 8 million number is pretty disingenuous since many of those viewers are counted multiple times.

Control has always been the key component of folkstyle. It is really the only reason I prefer it over free. If a guy can take you down, but can’t hold you down, I have a hard time that deciding the winner, without mat wrestling being a factor.

On top of that, there is NOTHING more demoralizing in wrestling then being ridden an entire period, let alone multiple. I love a sport that rewards that because, at the DI level, it is ridiculously hard to do.

Now, with that said, I posted the most recent PSA about mat wrestling because I saw this coming. I would prefer a rule set that mandates the top guy be more aggressive, but I am no surprised there are people at the top that still believe the onus falls on the bottom guy.

Time will tell if the onus on the bottom guy pushes him harder to find more ways to escape…
I do believe that some of this falls on the bottom guy to get out but double thy pry and hooking an ankle with spiral ride is BS and most cannot get out of that. Might as well get double boots and just flex at the crowd over your control of the opponent then. Now that we are at it might as well never call stalemate because top guy is controlling the bottom man like he is supposed to right?

I don't think you'll see any people lose interest over this issue. BTW, supposedly the Big Ten Network had the highest rated wrestling match on their channel with the match last week. I believe the number of viewers was app 380,000 people.

I'm not how sure this compares to other sports but I'm thinking people are confusing what they like with what non fans might like. It's my opinion non fans aren't going to become fans over some rule change for multiple reasons.
Never said anything about non fans. You are going to lose interest from the fans you have now with this product and I will be one of them. It is BS.

Never said anything about non fans. You are going to lose interest from the fans you have now with this product and I will be one of them. It is BS.
The ratings say otherwise. That match was their highest rated match yet, big ten network . I doubt you’ll quit also . You don’t follow a sport your whole life and dump it in most cases.

Reactions: Herkuleez5
I do believe that some of this falls on the bottom guy to get out but double thy pry and hooking an ankle with spiral ride is BS and most cannot get out of that. Might as well get double boots and just flex at the crowd over your control of the opponent then. Now that we are at it might as well never call stalemate because top guy is controlling the bottom man like he is supposed to right?
No argument from me. The rules DO put the onus on the top guy to break the bottom guy down. A double thigh pry and hooking an ankle should only be done as a transition to breaking the opponent down. Much like the 5 seconds below the waist, I would like to see some type of time limit on those positions as well. That would take objectivity away from the referee as much as possible. Clearly defining stalling positions and enforcing a verbal time limit would be huge.

The problem is, no one at the top seems to want that. They already got rid of the 5 second count to return the guy to the mat. The only one left is the below the waist ride. I would actually like to go to about 5 or 6 positions that are clearly defined, with time limits. Hell, there are probably even neutral positions you could define and time as well.

With the above said, the key is whether or not both wrestlers are "active" throughout the match. Mind you, active can be quite different than entertaining. That is the key disconnect that I think happens with most fans. So, that is why I say clearly defining positions with time limits is probably the only way to get some type of uniformity for stalling calls. Without it, you are simply at the mercy of each individual referee...

I like your ideas MSU158 about time limits on stuff. There are just to many people that ride to get the point. They might not use a ride like that for say a minute but 30 seconds is not out of the question and they seldom break them down. How about if you dont break the bottom man down after 30 seconds it is back to the feet? Would that solve it. Personally I want riding time to just go away, ride them for a whole period and tire them out but win it with an offensive move.

As for you bourbon you are right, I will not quit following the sport I love and have been around my whole life but I will fight to make it better. Isn't that what a wrestler does anyway?

ADVERTISEMENT