ADVERTISEMENT

How much did you get paid for your Summer job in college?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I was moving the oldest daughter out of her dorm today and there were signs up offering $13.90 an hour for housecleaning services. I asked the kid if she'd inquired about such employment, and she said she wasn't interested. It's five days a week, eight hours a day, and she wants to have some fun with her friends this Summer.
Before I could say anything Mrs. Lucas pounced and told her that was one of her many jobs while a student at UIHC.
I think I topped out at $6.75 an hour throwing boxes in a warehouse over the Summer during college.
How much money were you making, and what were you doing?

I was a mailman over the summer. Got something like $12/hour which was a lot. Plus I got about 10 hours at time and a half due to 6 day work weeks.

I made $5.25 at Easter Foods for the first couple years. I worked at a bank encoding checks one summer. I don't remember the pay. My senior year at Iowa I worked at First National Bank encoding checks and I think I made $7 an hour. It was a lot of money for Iowa City. My first job out of Iowa was $8.82 an hour. I was rich!!

$20/hour working construction all through college. It was simultaneously awesome money and terrible money at the same time. Glad I did it but being a lifeguard (lol) like most of my friends seemed awesome, too.

I coached tennis at a private K-12 school. Probably $8 an hour or something like that. Late 90’s.

$4.25/hr as a dishwasher/busboy at a restaurant. 1991.

The next summer I got a job in a lab and made $5 or 6/hr. The postdoc kept telling me that I was being screwed because the former lab manager made about twice that.

8 per hour at the golf course. Plus unlimited range balls and occasionally the pro would stop by to watch and give some free tips. After closing cocktails with the cart girls.

Best. Job. Ever.

I was a mailman over the summer. Got something like $12/hour which was a lot. Plus I got about 10 hours at time and a half due to 6 day work weeks.

Me too. I was called a Casual Carrier. I didn't make nearly that much (mid-80's). But I loved that job. My time will be added to my current federal service when calculating my pension. So that's a plus.

I waited tables at Formosa/Takanami (rip) during the summer. After tips made about $1,000-$1,200 per month. The owner could be a dick, but damn did he hire a lot of hot waitresses.
No waitress action?

Minimum wage had just been raised to $7.25/hr and my high school was giving me 40 hour weeks after the tornado because they needed the help and my original summer job was lost to the tornado like a week after arrived home for the summer.

Bartender, carpenter’s helper, jeans store clerk, mowing golf courses. Usually about $3/hour.

1990 Phar Mor @ $4.80/hr plus $120 a week as Chief Umpire at Central Little League

1991 Phar Mor @ 5.20 per hour

1992 Quad Food Service $4.80 to $5.50 hr plus $20 to $40 a night umping Iowa City Babe Ruth...

1993 APAC Teleservices $6.00 per hour plus bonus and $20/$40 umping...

My son just started his summer internship at my wife's company...$15.00 per hour...

$9.10/hour working on drilling rigs. My internship I think I got $1700/month. That was early to mid 90’s.

Reactions: GOHOX69
My first summer job I made like $5.25 and hour. I quit after the first month when I did 40 hour weeks and made $400 in the first month. **** that.

After Freshman year: $4/hr doing lawn care. Minimum wage was about $3.35/hr then.
After next 3 years: $3.75-ish interning for my future profession.
It was fine, though, cuz instate tuition was about $1800/year

$40 a night under the table bouncing
$5 an hour under the table 7/11 cashier

I’d work 8 hours during the day and 6 at night bouncing. $240 straight cash homey from Thursday-Saturday. Plus a little late bar hours poon action every now and then. Yeah...I was the shit.

Me too. I was called a Casual Carrier. I didn't make nearly that much (mid-80's). But I loved that job. My time will be added to my current federal service when calculating my pension. So that's a plus.
Yeah, that’s what it was called. I was in Waterloo and got the not so nice areas. Once a month I was loved— when the free money/food checks came and they had to sign fir them. Other than that I rarely saw anyone.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
Around 8-9/hr at Pepsi my first couple summers. Usually put in 40-50 hrs a week. Junior/senior year I stayed in IC and worked full time as a lab tech for about the same. Also worked a couple weekends a month for Pepsi.

Not near enough to pay for school. You know, before a boomer chimes in calling millennials lazy.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Made $1.50 summer of ‘73 working at Lausen’s. Worked in the bakery and stocked shelves.

My best summer job was in the state of Iowa’s liquor warehouse. It was a solid job on its own for the time and while I can’t remember what I made (maybe $11/hr in 1993/1994?), but we got paid for four 10-hr days regardless of how much we worked, but would get OT if warranted. Incentive to bust a$$ and get out with the free money. I then worked in a HyVee specialty meat shop on the weekends and would often post 40hrs+ there. Made a crap ton of money those summers and still had time to have fun.

I had a couple minimum wage jobs that I did on nights and weekends (plus tips). But I scored some seasonal work at a local pKant, make a good $4-$5 over min, starting at 6:00AM everyday, 40 hours a week. I think I put in about 60 hours a week in, between the jobs. All terribly low stress work. Felt like I was rolling in dough.

$17.50/hr at Pella Windows custom plant in Shenandoah, IA.
$20/hr at Eaton Corporation Truck Transmission factory.

I eclipsed $10/hr before my senior year in 2011. Only took five years of cleaning toilets and waxing floors to do so but I felt like the richest guy on the planet.

I worked at an amusement park for 3 summers. First summer I got minimum wage ($3.35/hr) plus bonuses and OT whenever I wanted it. Next summer I was bumped up to $4.35. 3rd summer I was an an assistant manager for $6.00/hr.
Oh, and all the free amusement park food I could want. My colon was never cleaner.

After three years of full time drinking and chasing sorority women, I paid for my sins working my way though engineering school at 3M in Ames making $6.50/hr as a second shift building electrician and lift truck maintenance guy w full benefits and vacation. I did have a summer job as a freshman and Sophomore w the CNW railroad at $4.95/hr. All pretty good wages in the 1970s (a 1979 dollar‘s value is about $2.85 now), and my wife is one of those sorority women.

Last edited:
Pizza delivery for a great little mom & pop restaurant = $12-$15/hour, circa 1996-1998
Waiting tables at Po'Boys Creole Cafe in 1998-1999 = $10-$15/hour
Census Enumerator during grad school for the 2000 Census = $11.25/hour

I was thrilled to have those jobs and couldn't believe how much they all paid!

Last edited:
Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
Made $14 an hr working construction and about 2k a summer with my side hustles.

'92-93 - $10/hr building clay tennis courts
'94 - took classes at FSU over summer......did not have a job
'95 - Internship $17.50/hr

$1.60/hr in 1969 shoveling corn, delivering feed, unloading semis of fertilizer etc at a small farm store in Long Grove. It was enough to cover tuition, books, rent, gas, beer and condoms.

$3.35 plus tips at Dominos on Riverside.
$4150 for three weeks of detasseling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT