ADVERTISEMENT

How much do you drink (alcohol) on a daily basis?

During the week - occasionally, maybe a work function

Weekend - half bottle of wine on Friday and Saturday

It's just not possible for me to live in that space. I'm either drinking all of the time or not at all.
I remember watching The West Wing back in the day and the Chief of Staff Leo McGarry was an alcoholic. I don’t remember the full context of the episode, but someone had asked him about his alcoholism and why he couldn’t just have a drink. He said, “I don’t want one drink, I want ten drinks.”

I think about this on nights when I’m hitting it harder than I should. Sipping on some drinks or a few beers watching a game is one thing, but other nights, if I’m still “sipping” at 1 am by myself after the game is long over? I wonder. I’m probably somewhere on a spectrum, bit I can drop it for weeks at a time and have no issues. I’ve always had that tendency. I certainly can have a drink or two and call it a night, but most often, I’m probably having none or I’m having several.

I have been sober for about 5 months and this thread is making me feel awful because I’m not seeing any heavy drinkers yet.
Some weekends, I’ll throw them back if I’m with buddies. The honest truth is that God cursed/blessed (depends how you look at it) with easy hangovers. If I have one drink, I feel off the next day. If I have lots of drinks, I feel like garbage for 2 days. It’s just not worth it to me.

If I didn’t get hangovers, I’d drink more. I know I would.

This calendar year, I've had 3 bourbons (maybe tops 2-3 oz pours, on ice). All on my birthday a couple weeks ago.

Summer time off coming up (roughly 10 weeks), that may increase to a single glass per day on average when at my cabin. Gonna try to stay there 4 whole weeks across the break. I'm sure there will be a couple drunk music threads I start at some point when up there, pounding some bourbon after hard days working on projects. But will I daily drink while up there? No.

I keep no booze in my home here in CR. Any more I have drinks only when I know I don't have anything planned (or work) the next day - and usually only during the summer or special events (usually visiting friends).

I simply don't drink much any more.

I don’t. Maybe one if I go out to dinner.
I’m just not all that interested in drinking anymore.
That's about it for me, too. I will have a glass of wine 3-4 times a year, and a beer at a tailgate or during ncaa tournament parties. Socially and rarely for me.

Reactions: goldmom
I probably average 2, maybe 3 alcoholic beverages per week. It does not tell the whole picture, however. I'll go many weeks in a row without drinking anything, but a few rounds of golf and a couple of college football weekends really do skew my numbers. And my body pays dearly for those adventures.

I had a beer last week, but none since. I feel there are better options than alcohol out there.....ones that won't make you feel like crap the next day.

Drank like a fish until children (11 years ago)

now I rarely drink, maybe a few beers golfing or with work pals when traveling.

I do not miss it.

I started drinking just about every day my second senior year of college. Going by units from my AlcoholEdu program prior to freshman year at Iowa. Probably 5-6/night when I started my 5th year. Busted for possession right before I graduated. I started drinking heavily every day when I was on probation and could be asked to drop randomly. 8-10, then 10-12, then eventually ~15 if I had work the next day or try to set a new personal record otherwise. Now down to zero lately.

I’ve posted this before but for those that like the taste of IPA / craft beers, but don’t want the alcohol, hangover, calories, etc., I highly recommend Hoplark. They are a craft water and tea company that craft brews water/tea with hops. They are zero calories, gluten free, and delicious. I enjoy them when I don’t want to drink but would typically have a drink (grilling, mostly).

They’re not cheap, about $3 each plus/minus. But they are really good and no booze.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I'm not a teetotaler (As in I refuse to ever drink alcohol) but I probably haven't had alcohol in a couple years.

My wife has diverticulitis and can't drink it at all. And really while I don't have diverticulitis it hasn't been sitting well with me either. The last 3 or 4 times I drank which has probably been 2 years at least by this point I would have one glass of wine and I would get some bad heartburn.

I'm not ruling it out but I quite frankly may never drink again. Alcohol was never something I really enjoyed a lot anyways. Wine was the only drink I really enjoyed and if I get heartburn from drinking it. . . why drink?

The last 3 or 4 times I drank which has probably been 2 years at least by this point I would have one glass of wine and I would get some bad heartburn.

The alcoholic in me knows that is because you were drinking too slowly and not enough.

The alcoholic in me knows that is because you were drinking too slowly and not enough.

Nah this is how I drink my wine.

wine_chug-DMID1-5dywj4wgf-480x320.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Moral
Nah this is how I drink my wine.

wine_chug-DMID1-5dywj4wgf-480x320.gif

I was at Goodwill recently and gathered up all of the Sideways movies in there and put them by each other. I found 6, I went back a month later and 4 were still by each other. So I found 3 additional ones and did it again.

That movie is a bit of a personal meme for me.

I'm a weekend warrior:
I don't drink Mon-Thur
Have a couple beers on about 50% of Fridays, nothing the other 50%
Sat & Sun usually have a decent buzz going. All beer, I rarely drink the hard stuff.

I'm all about day drinking on the weekends. I would much rather get after it from 1:00pm to 6:00pm then eat, bang the Mrs. and hydrate for the next day.

I'm a weekend warrior:
I don't drink Mon-Thur
Have a couple beers on about 50% of Fridays, nothing the other 50%
Sat & Sun usually have a decent buzz going. All beer, I rarely drink the hard stuff.

I'm all about day drinking on the weekends. I would much rather get after it from 1:00pm to 6:00pm then eat, bang the Mrs. and hydrate for the next day.
If you don’t start in the morning, then it can’t be all day eyewinkemoji.gif

I was at Goodwill recently and gathered up all of the Sideways movies in there and put them by each other. I found 6, I went back a month later and 4 were still by each other. So I found 3 additional ones and did it again.

That movie is a bit of a personal meme for me.
Not one damn copy in Little Havana Goodwill. Took a lot of willpower not to grab Coach Carter.

20220526-112540.jpg

Reactions: Moral
Most days, none.
Most weeks, none.
Most months, none.

But every once in a while, I have 3 in one day.

6-8 beers a week depending on whether there's a "faculty meeting" Friday pm at the brewery. A wee dram of scotch once a month or so.

I’ve posted this before but for those that like the taste of IPA / craft beers, but don’t want the alcohol, hangover, calories, etc., I highly recommend Hoplark. They are a craft water and tea company that craft brews water/tea with hops. They are zero calories, gluten free, and delicious. I enjoy them when I don’t want to drink but would typically have a drink (grilling, mostly).

They’re not cheap, about $3 each plus/minus. But they are really good and no booze.

Non-alcoholic drinks are actually becoming really trendy now. NA used to be just crap beers like O’Douls, now you can get some nice craft beers, whiskies, etc. There are a lot more people cutting booze from their diet and the market is chasing.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
Man, some of you rolled hard. Never was that, but couldn't seem to go more than 3 days or so before I got the craving and drank at least a couple. (shots, beer, wine, whatever)

Recently got away from that and went three weeks without. Thankfully it feels like the craving has subsided. But it's easy to get back into that mode.

Started drinking the end of my sophomore year in high school.

Proceeded to drink heavily until I turned 21 which is when I slowed down drastically.

I started lifting weights and alcohol seemed to negate all the hard work and nutrition I was putting into my body. I was all about looking good for the babes. Ending up finding my wife. lol

Now married with three children, I don't like to drink in front of them so I RARELY do.

So far it's worked out. Oldest never drank in high school and barely does in college but I think has some. Grades are her #1. Middle kid doesn't drink either and doubt he will. Youngest is too young to worry about right now.

I don't miss booze at all.

1 or more every day afterwork? The bourbon thread got me wondering...

My husband would have a drink or 2 afterwork everyday if I didn't frown upon it. His family has a history of alcohol abuse. I grew up in a house where I could probably count on 2 hands the number of drinks my dad had at home. I think he had a problem early on and my mom told him to cut the sheet. Thats when we moved from New Hampshire (near his family of drunks) to Key West where my mother's family of non-drinkers lived.

I mostly drink to get a good buzz and have fun. I am not a have one beer with dinner type of guy. I'm either 0 or 4+. But I could go a couple weeks without a drop, then have several a few times in a given week.

That has changed slightly since we've moved to a place that's sort of an entertainment district, and we'll occasionally go out and walk around or listen to some music, and I'll have one or two.

I guess my typical drinking is to have 3-4 drinks once every 1-2 weeks.

Started drinking the end of my sophomore year in high school.

Proceeded to drink heavily until I turned 21 which is when I slowed down drastically.

I started lifting weights and alcohol seemed to negate all the hard work and nutrition I was putting into my body. I was all about looking good for the babes. Ending up finding my wife. lol

Now married with three children, I don't like to drink in front of them so I RARELY do.

So far it's worked out. Oldest never drank in high school and barely does in college but I think has some. Grades are her #1. Middle kid doesn't drink either and doubt he will. Youngest is too young to worry about right now.

I don't miss booze at all.

I never drank in front of my kids when they were growing up, not until they were older teens. My oldest daughter likes to drink more like I did at her age, my middle daughter seems to drink socially but I've seen little indication that she likes to get drunk much, and my son who is the youngest is 100% straight edge.

They definitely drink in inverse proportion to how much they saw us drinking, for whatever reason.

Not one damn copy in Little Havana Goodwill. Took a lot of willpower not to grab Coach Carter.

20220526-112540.jpg

My people. Do they have any music cassettes, having a hell of a time tracking decent ones down. I did find a couple Bright Eyes CDs last time I went though along with Yellowcard and Taking Back Sunday. Someone must have changed music tastes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT