ADVERTISEMENT

How much of right-wing opposition to vaccination was Fox News’s fault?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Katie Lane’s father, Patrick, died of covid-19 in the summer of 2021. Hundreds of thousands of Americans did, of course, but Lane believes that her father was among the estimated 234,000 people whose deaths could have been prevented had he been vaccinated against the coronavirus.

Asked during an interview on CNN why she thought her father chose not to get a dose of the vaccine, Lane suggested that there were a number of factors, media consumption included.

“He watched some Tucker Carlson videos on YouTube, and some of those videos involved some misinformation about vaccines,” Lane said, “and I believe that that played a role.”
New research suggests that Patrick Lane was probably not the only consumer of the Fox News host’s rhetoric to turn away from being vaccinated. And, therefore, he was probably not the only one to die of covid-19 who might otherwise have lived.
We’ve known for some time that there is a partisan divide in vaccine uptake. A lot of attention has been paid to the divide in vaccination rates by race — often because pointing at lower vaccination rates among Black Americans is used as a bit of whataboutism to rationalize low vaccination rates among Republicans. But research has consistently shown that White Republicans are far less likely than Black Americans to report having been vaccinated, and far, far less likely than White Democrats.
Research published this month found a correlation between partisanship and rates of excess deaths during the pandemic. In places where vaccine uptake was lower — which correlates to support for President Donald Trump in the 2020 general election — Republicans died at a much higher rate than they did before the pandemic, a gap that primarily emerged in the months after the vaccine became widely available.

But why? What made Republicans less likely to get vaccinated?

In part, we can point to the interplay of partisanship itself. As president, Trump tried to play down the danger of the virus and, with an eye to reelection, cast efforts to contain the virus as power plays from an overbearing government. This certainly helped influence behaviors among Republicans on vaccination, masking and social distancing.
Research published last week, though, identifies a likely role for another prominent voice on the political right: Fox News.
“Our results show that Fox News is reducing COVID-19 vaccination uptake in the United States, with no evidence of the other major networks having any effect,” the study from researchers at ETH Zurich concluded. “[T]here is an association between areas with higher Fox News viewership and lower vaccinations,” noting that “media emphasis on minority viewpoints against scientific consensus is linked to vaccination hesitancy.”
Tracking vaccinations from March to June 2021 shows markedly lower rates of vaccinations among Fox News viewers under 65, particularly in May — the month after vaccinations were opened up to all adults.

Recognizing that Fox News’s audience is heavily Republican, the researchers worked to extricate partisanship from their analysis — with success.

In May 2021, Carlson’s was the second-most watched prime-time show on cable news — but most watched in the 25- to 54-year-old demographic.

What was Carlson saying about the vaccine in May 2021? See for yourself. But it included his elevation of inaccurate numbers about purported deaths from coronavirus vaccines and touting the idea that natural immunity was as effective as vaccination — ignoring, of course, the risk posed by reaching natural immunity. Carlson played host to covid-vaccine opponent Alex Berenson more than once. (Berenson’s shaky grasp of the data had already earned him the apt title “the pandemic’s wrongest man.”)
So the show that was most popular among those under 65 on Fox News was making ceaseless false claims about the vaccine or playing down its efficacy during a period when Fox News viewers under 65 were demonstrably less likely to get vaccinated against the coronavirus.
The Department of Health and Human Services last week reported that vaccinations probably saved 330,000 lives among Medicare recipients in 2021. Most of them are 65 and over, the group most likely to get vaccinated.
When he died, Patrick Lane was 45.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky and lucas80
What else did Patrick Lane have? Age is not the determinant. Underlying health is. As the CDC has stated, 75% of COVID deaths were people with 4 (that's one, two, three AND four) co-morbidities. That means of the remaining 25%, the majority probably had 3 co-morbidities, and quite likely almost nobody died that had zero. So, what condition did he have that perhaps he ignored? The vaccine was developed only for those who might be at risk, it was never intended to be for everybody, especially since it as NEVER been fully tested and most certainly not tested for long-term affects.

And second, don't blame someone else for one's decisions. Take ownership. Maybe Patrick did, maybe he didn't, if he did have health issues.

What else did Patrick Lane have? Age is not the determinant. Underlying health is. As the CDC has stated, 75% of COVID deaths were people with 4 (that's one, two, three AND four) co-morbidities. That means of the remaining 25%, the majority probably had 3 co-morbidities, and quite likely almost nobody died that had zero. So, what condition did he have that perhaps he ignored? The vaccine was developed only for those who might be at risk, it was never intended to be for everybody, especially since it as NEVER been fully tested and most certainly not tested for long-term affects.

And second, don't blame someone else for one's decisions. Take ownership. Maybe Patrick did, maybe he didn't, if he did have health issues.
Its not only age titan hawk. We had 5-10 people in their 40's that passed away. Slightly obese, no other major co-morbities, other than not taking the covid shot. So yes young people died without co-morbities. If you believe the covid shot was not tested, (um yes it was) then you can say the nation was the test case, and we have not seen any major complications from those covid shots. Maybe a 1 off case or 2 there for those the shot is contra-indicated to (yes there are some people that should not take the shot). Beyond that, the benefits showed that it prevented many from ever getting Covid or preventing severe and negative outcomes that include long term covid symptoms or death. More Republicans died than democrats because of disinformation primarily from right leaning sources. If you cannot understand that fact, I don't know what to say to you.

Then you would have these same individuals self medicating themselves with Ivermectin. 1 of my clients ended up in the hospital due to overdosing himself. I had 5-6 take it (that told me) and I don't believe any had a prescription for it. So if you think this was the better way to prevent Covid which was touted on these same right wing media channels, rather than a covid shot that had actually been tested, again, I don't know what to say to you.

7900 deaths for those under 30 from Covid seems to be a rather large number. FYI in most cases 99.9% of cases myocarditis is not deadly if treated in teens. Also if you read the article Mr Ladapo did this without any research that even made it to the peer review level supporting his thesis.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaretteman
How much opposition to the vaccine is Fox News credit?

I can play the word game too. I am not against the vax, only against the false pretense claim to its success. The elderly and vulnerable needed to be vaxxed. The young and healthy should not. It wasn't about scientific evidence, it was about money and control. Very few in the news would report anything negative about the vax. Many wouldn't because of threats. Lots of people died because of withheld information.

Over the first three quarters of 2020, overall death claims for life insurance increased 14%, but over the first three quarters of 2021, the increase was 20%, according to Marianne Purushotham, LIMRA corporate vice president and head of data sciences. About 60% of those deaths were related to COVID.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
This is where the uninformed blue check mark, Google linkers will just perpetuate the lie that Fox News didn’t tell people daily to get vaccinated. Even Hackity told his audience he was vaccinated and recommended others to get it especially early on when it was available and they were hoisting praise upon trump for operation warp speed.

I can play the word game too. I am not against the vax, only against the false pretense claim to its success. The elderly and vulnerable needed to be vaxxed. The young and healthy should not. It wasn't about scientific evidence, it was about money and control. Very few in the news would report anything negative about the vax. Many wouldn't because of threats. Lots of people died because of withheld information.

Over the first three quarters of 2020, overall death claims for life insurance increased 14%, but over the first three quarters of 2021, the increase was 20%, according to Marianne Purushotham, LIMRA corporate vice president and head of data sciences. About 60% of those deaths were related to COVID.
Not true.

Not true.
You don't think it was about money. 6 board members at Moderna became billionaires.
I took the first round. After many, many, many people kept getting covid after being vaxxed including me I decided against any more shots. I know 2 people who had blood clots in their lungs not long after getting the first shot.
No accountability for those making the drugs is also pretty scary in my opinion.

Those who disrespected social distancing/mask guidelines out of loyalty to a president who purposely downplayed Covid 19 need to take ownership for the dead Americans their careless political loyalty killed.

Pssst... it was a novel contagion, to think it was all about control is weak, bruh. The only controlling going on was when Trump purposely downplayed Covid 19.

You don't think it was about money. 6 board members at Moderna became billionaires.
I took the first round. After many, many, many people kept getting covid after being vaxxed including me I decided against any more shots. I know 2 people who had blood clots in their lungs not long after getting the first shot.
No accountability for those making the drugs is also pretty scary in my opinion.
Accountability this.

I'm really surprised that some bereaved victims of all the lying haven't taken revenge. FOX. Politicians. Talk show hosts. Misinforming doctors. . . .

Why do you think that is? Is the link just too indirect?

Over a million deaths. More than half of them died before the value of vaccines became slightly less obvious with the Omicron variants. But no one mad enough to get even?

God has His reasons, I suppose.

Those who disrespected social distancing/mask guidelines out of loyalty to a president who purposely downplayed Covid 19 need to take ownership for the dead Americans their careless political loyalty killed.
No just take credit for being a total pussy

Reactions: ICHerky
Pssst... it was a novel contagion, to think it was all about control is weak, bruh. The only controlling going on was when Trump purposely downplayed Covid 19.
I think covid was over played. The side affects of shutting everything down has had disastrous and long lasting results. How does "downplaying covid" = "controlling"? You got me there. You will need to explain.

Katie Lane’s father, Patrick, died of covid-19 in the summer of 2021. Hundreds of thousands of Americans did, of course, but Lane believes that her father was among the estimated 234,000 people whose deaths could have been prevented had he been vaccinated against the coronavirus.

Asked during an interview on CNN why she thought her father chose not to get a dose of the vaccine, Lane suggested that there were a number of factors, media consumption included.

“He watched some Tucker Carlson videos on YouTube, and some of those videos involved some misinformation about vaccines,” Lane said, “and I believe that that played a role.”
New research suggests that Patrick Lane was probably not the only consumer of the Fox News host’s rhetoric to turn away from being vaccinated. And, therefore, he was probably not the only one to die of covid-19 who might otherwise have lived.
We’ve known for some time that there is a partisan divide in vaccine uptake. A lot of attention has been paid to the divide in vaccination rates by race — often because pointing at lower vaccination rates among Black Americans is used as a bit of whataboutism to rationalize low vaccination rates among Republicans. But research has consistently shown that White Republicans are far less likely than Black Americans to report having been vaccinated, and far, far less likely than White Democrats.
Research published this month found a correlation between partisanship and rates of excess deaths during the pandemic. In places where vaccine uptake was lower — which correlates to support for President Donald Trump in the 2020 general election — Republicans died at a much higher rate than they did before the pandemic, a gap that primarily emerged in the months after the vaccine became widely available.

But why? What made Republicans less likely to get vaccinated?

In part, we can point to the interplay of partisanship itself. As president, Trump tried to play down the danger of the virus and, with an eye to reelection, cast efforts to contain the virus as power plays from an overbearing government. This certainly helped influence behaviors among Republicans on vaccination, masking and social distancing.
Research published last week, though, identifies a likely role for another prominent voice on the political right: Fox News.
“Our results show that Fox News is reducing COVID-19 vaccination uptake in the United States, with no evidence of the other major networks having any effect,” the study from researchers at ETH Zurich concluded. “[T]here is an association between areas with higher Fox News viewership and lower vaccinations,” noting that “media emphasis on minority viewpoints against scientific consensus is linked to vaccination hesitancy.”
Tracking vaccinations from March to June 2021 shows markedly lower rates of vaccinations among Fox News viewers under 65, particularly in May — the month after vaccinations were opened up to all adults.

Recognizing that Fox News’s audience is heavily Republican, the researchers worked to extricate partisanship from their analysis — with success.

In May 2021, Carlson’s was the second-most watched prime-time show on cable news — but most watched in the 25- to 54-year-old demographic.

What was Carlson saying about the vaccine in May 2021? See for yourself. But it included his elevation of inaccurate numbers about purported deaths from coronavirus vaccines and touting the idea that natural immunity was as effective as vaccination — ignoring, of course, the risk posed by reaching natural immunity. Carlson played host to covid-vaccine opponent Alex Berenson more than once. (Berenson’s shaky grasp of the data had already earned him the apt title “the pandemic’s wrongest man.”)
So the show that was most popular among those under 65 on Fox News was making ceaseless false claims about the vaccine or playing down its efficacy during a period when Fox News viewers under 65 were demonstrably less likely to get vaccinated against the coronavirus.
The Department of Health and Human Services last week reported that vaccinations probably saved 330,000 lives among Medicare recipients in 2021. Most of them are 65 and over, the group most likely to get vaccinated.
When he died, Patrick Lane was 45.

Fox doesn't care about the truth. Everything at that network is geared towards producing ratings. They push what they know their demographics want to see.

This is where the uninformed blue check mark, Google linkers will just perpetuate the lie that Fox News didn’t tell people daily to get vaccinated. Even Hackity told his audience he was vaccinated and recommended others to get it especially early on when it was available and they were hoisting praise upon trump for operation warp speed.
Hannity backtracked when the cult turned on him.
The truth is Hannity, Tucker, Daycare Donnie... They all got the shot, but they all peddled misinformation.

Hannity backtracked when the cult turned on him.
The truth is Hannity, Tucker, Daycare Donnie... They all got the shot, but they all peddled misinformation.
They peddled the jabs for months in support of DT… they did, as long as trump wanted to take credit for warp speed fox was all too happy to play along. It wasn’t until a couple months ago that trump and his team figured out that his loyal supporters weren’t giving him credit for the jabs that he and those around him changed their tune.

They peddled the jabs for months in support of DT… they did, as long as trump wanted to take credit for warp speed fox was all too happy to play along. It wasn’t until a couple months ago that trump and his team figured out that his loyal supporters weren’t giving him credit for the jabs that he and those around him changed their tune.
Do you get this information from a dream you had or were you simple drunk? The vax was overly pushed. Only the elderly and vulnerable should have received it. They should have relied more on treatment and been more honest about. Big Dollars Pharma would have nothing to do with it. Too bad there isn't honest investigation for all the deaths and destroyed lives the vax and the shut down caused.

• Love
I think covid was over played. The side affects of shutting everything down has had disastrous and long lasting results. How does "downplaying covid" = "controlling"? You got me there. You will need to explain.
Trump supporters were controlled by Trump's refusal to take Covid 19 seriously.

Health professionals were faced with a virgin contagion, they didn't know anything about it so they erred on the side of caution. People who don't see that scare the **** out of me.

Trump supporters were controlled by Trump's refusal to take Covid 19 seriously.

Health professionals were faced with a virgin contagion, they didn't know anything about it so they erred on the side of caution. People who don't see that scare the **** out of me.
Last I checked, Trump is the one that fast tracked the vax. Covid is not new. It has been around for a long time. This particular variant had not. The medical community wasn't clueless with what they were dealing with. The Gestapo forces squashed all views other than their own opinion which was often wrong. Money was more important than lives.

Last I checked, Trump is the one that fast tracked the vax. Covid is not new. It has been around for a long time. This particular variant had not. The medical community wasn't clueless with what they were dealing with. The Gestapo forces squashed all views other than their own opinion which was often wrong. Money was more important than lives.
Trump did fast track, wtf was he supposed to do... lol. He didn't have to purposely downplay Covid 19, but he did, lol, and not one right winger gives a shit. Getting reelected was more important than lives.

It's crazy to think that health officials who used common sense approaches during a pandemic are now considered the gestapo.

"All other views" are misinformation and conspiracy theories - sending humans to feed stores trying to score ivermectin - became more sought after than sound professional medical advice, lol.

Keep humping that free speech bullshit, bruh.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
Trump did fast track, wtf was he supposed to do... lol. He didn't have to purposely downplay Covid 19, but he did, lol, and not one right winger gives a shit. Getting reelected was more important than lives.

It's crazy to think that health officials who used common sense approaches during a pandemic are now considered the gestapo.

"All other views" are misinformation and conspiracy theories - sending humans to feed stores trying to score ivermectin - became more sought after than sound professional medical advice, lol.

Keep humping that free speech bullshit, bruh.
Like 5 people did that. BTW who was hurt by that? His own base (if anyone)… you guys wanted to thin the herd. You got your desired results stop crying

Feb 17, 2020, Dr. Anthony Fauci -

The only people who need masks are those who are already infected to keep from exposing others. The masks sold at drugstores aren't even good enough to truly protect anyone, Fauci said.

"If you look at the masks that you buy in a drug store, the leakage around that doesn't really do much to protect you," he said. "People start saying, 'Should I start wearing a mask?' Now, in the United States, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to wear a mask."

Fauci doesn't want people to worry about coronavirus, the danger of which is "just minuscule." But he does want them to take precautions against the "influenza outbreak, which is having its second wave."

USA Today, February 17, 2020

Also, Feb 28, 2020 -

“Overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.”

“I mean, looking at what we’re seeing now, you know, I would say between 100 and 200,000 (deaths). But I don’t want to be held to that,” he said, adding that the US is going to have “millions of cases.”
However, during Sunday afternoon’s Coronavirus Task Force briefing, Fauci clarified that he was relying on models, and the information used by those models included no intervention (which clearly is NOT occurring).

And from the article co-authored by Fauci to the NEJM published Feb 28, 2020 -

On the basis of a case definition requiring a diagnosis of pneumonia, the currently reported case fatality rate is approximately 2%.4 In another article in the Journal, Guan et al.5 report mortality of 1.4% among 1099 patients with laboratory-confirmed Covid-19; these patients had a wide spectrum of disease severity. If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.

COVID-19 Navigating the uncharted

COVID was overplayed all the way. Trump looked at it as "the solution may be worse than the cause" and he was correct. The mortality rate would have been very similar. Concentrating on just protecting the vunerable and treatments would have served everyone far better. Our population will never fully recover. We have all kinds of struggles today due to over reaction to covid.

COVID was overplayed all the way. Trump looked at it as "the solution may be worse than the cause" and he was correct. The mortality rate would have been very similar. Concentrating on just protecting the vunerable and treatments would have served everyone far better. Our population will never fully recover. We have all kinds of struggles today due to over reaction to covid.
Maybe hospitals not sending sick people home to wait until they were on deaths door and then told them to come back to be put on a vent would have saved more lives than anything. I know we have some doctors on the board who will disagree but they have blood on their hands so idgaf

Like 5 people did that. BTW who was hurt by that? His own base (if anyone)… you guys wanted to thin the herd. You got your desired results stop crying
Who got hurt by that isn't the point. The point is right wing free speech can be hazardous to one's health, ivermectin is but one example. It's reckless free speech and it kills.

Who got hurt by that isn't the point. The point is right wing free speech can be hazardous to one's health, ivermectin is but one example. It's reckless free speech and it kills.
No, it's called personal accountability. You're responsible for YOUR actions. If you want to take IVM or eat Tide Pods... that's no one's fault but yours if something bad happens. Make better choices.

No, it's called personal accountability. You're responsible for YOUR actions. If you want to take IVM or eat Tide Pods... that's no one's fault but yours if something bad happens. Make better choices.
Personal accountability my white ass. There's no personal responsibility either. How does going maskless and disrespecting social distancing measures work with personal accountability or personal responsibility?

Sociopathic behaviour, that's what that is.

So was keeping kids home for a solid year not learning anything with literally zero risk to their health. Reckless as shit.
Pssst... it was a novel contagion, were they to be careless with everyone's health and not err on the side of caution? Disrespect for social distancing/mask precautions kept schools closed and killed small businesses- AND the kids who heard advice from health professionals only to have their parents dismiss that advice for political reasons will be hurt mentally the most.

Reckless as shit, lol - like you can recognize reckless.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
So was keeping kids home for a solid year not learning anything with literally zero risk to their health. Reckless as shit.
In that first 9 months before the vaccines, wouldn't you have loved to see the outcome if everything was left completely open and no interventions with what is now known about Covid? How many people do you think would have died? The hospital system was already overwhelmed, just go quadruple it at its peak see what happens.

Personal accountability my white ass. There's no personal responsibility either. How does going maskless and disrespecting social distancing measures work with personal accountability or personal responsibility?

Sociopathic behaviour, that's what that is.
I wouldn't know, we aren't giant bitches down here in Florida...masking and social distancing LOL yeah only if you squat to piss

Pssst... it was a novel contagion, were they to be careless with everyone's health and not err on the side of caution? Disrespect for social distancing/mask precautions kept schools closed and killed small businesses- AND the kids who heard advice from health professionals only to have their parents dismiss that advice for political reasons will be hurt mentally the most.

Reckless as shit, lol - like you can recognize reckless.
oh but Home Depot was still open...

ADVERTISEMENT