ADVERTISEMENT

How much older or younger is your SO?

He is 2 years and 50 weeks younger... not quite chicken.

Last edited:
There is 12.5 years difference in me and my wife. In the 28 years we've been married it has never been a problem but I have to admit it has made planning for retirement a little harder.

My husband and I have almost the same age difference. He gets to retire 8 years before me so he thinks the retirement planning is going fine. I'll end up working longer than 8 extra years for my insurance coverage most likely.

My husband and I have almost the same age difference. He gets to retire 8 years before me so he thinks the retirement planning is going fine. I'll end up working longer than 8 extra years for my insurance coverage most likely.
My wife will be retiring at age 55 this October and I will not be able to retire until July at age 67. I own a business and my son is moving back from Oregon to take over the business. I have planned and my wife should have enough to live well after I'm gone but it still worries me that she will need 20 or more years of income after I'm gone.

I'm 8 years older, and my wife is now starting to discover the same reality that your friend is...

Wait a second. Soybean, I thought you were an elder statesman on this board; like in your mid-late 60's.

Ohh. I just turned 49, wife turns 43 in Sept.

Yes, I will be 67 this summer and have been married for 43 years.

My kids give me grief all the time because when I started college my wife (No; we weren't married at the time) would have just been getting out of diapers.

Oh well, it works for me. :D

Yes, I will be 67 this summer and have been married for 43 years.
Yes, I figured as much, Bean. I was just bustin' your chops because your original post implied that either:
1. You were only 48, or
2. Your bride was somehow not 5 years younger than you before you were married.

Its not nearly as funny to me now that I had to explain it.

I'm one year and 10 days older. Will have been married 36 years May 2.

Husband is 55. I'll be 42 in May. the 29th so you have plenty of time to plan how to celebrate it accordingly!

Next Saturday is our 11th anniversary. I royally screwed up allowing my anniversary, Mother's Day and my birthday to happen in the same month.

This happened to me. Then I had two girls both born within a week of my wife. WTF god?

Reactions: hawkbirch
The wife is 5 years younger than me. It will work out nice for me because I can take early retirement st 62. So I can go on her insurance once I retire. She's already complaining that I'll get to retire before her.

Husband is 55. I'll be 42 in May. the 29th so you have plenty of time to plan how to celebrate it accordingly!

Next Saturday is our 11th anniversary. I royally screwed up allowing my anniversary, Mother's Day and my birthday to happen in the same month.
Same boat as my wife. Our anniversary May 2, her birthday May 5, and then Mothers day.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Same boat as my wife. Our anniversary May 2, her birthday May 5, and then Mothers day.

Glad I'm not the only one. We aren't big gift givers for our birthdays or our anniversary so it's not so bad. Before kids, we used to go to Cancun for two weeks for our anniversary. I miss that trip in the worst way.

Glad I'm not the only one. We aren't big gift givers for our birthdays or our anniversary so it's not so bad. Before kids, we used to go to Cancun for two weeks for our anniversary. I miss that trip in the worst way.
I bet you miss that trip. We are not big gift givers either. My birthday is April 25 and she usually gives me some type of clothing because she does not feel I update my clothing enough. I combine her birthday and anniversary gift. May 2 will be 36 year anniversary and I am taking her to a Hawkeye I-Club event. Probably better also will get her a birthday gift.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT