ADVERTISEMENT

How not to celebrate MLK Jr day

West Duval Nole

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2013
Jacksonville
Two people were shot — one of whom died from their injuries Monday afternoon in Northwest Jacksonville, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

Sgt. Mike Russell, with the Sheriff’s Office, said police were called to the scene on Portsmouth Avenue at about 1:45 p.m. Russell said a man in his late-teens to early-20s was found with a life-threatening gunshot wound, and he said the man died from his injuries.

Another man, Russell said, believed to be in his 20s, was found with a gunshot wound that was not believed to be life-threatening. He was taken to a hospital for treatment.

The sergeant said it appears to have been a dispute between two known individuals, but additional details were not provided. Russell said there were multiple witnesses to the shooting who were speaking with investigators.

One person, Russell said, was detained, and those involved have been identified. No arrests were immediately announced.

A neighbor we are not identifying for her own protection says she knows all the people involved and heard the gunshots before hearing a woman scream and say, “My baby got killed.”

The neighbor said she was returning home from the city’s annual parade celebrating the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

“My daughter was in the parade, and we were in the house and it’s just scary because I have young kids. I have kids under the age of 13, so I’m scared. It’s very scary,” the neighbor said.

And another one in a different city in Florida.

Police in Florida said eight people were shot Monday during an MLK Jr. Day event, with one of the victims listed in critical condition.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office confirmed all the victims in the early evening shooting in Fort Pierce were adults. The shooting occurred at Ilous Ellis Park at 5:20 p.m. during an MLK Car Show and Family Fun Day, which the sheriff’s office said was attended by more than 1,000 people

Reactions: Bro D
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT