ADVERTISEMENT

How should a driver respond to unmarked police cars under the 'Back the Blue' law?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A widely circulated social media post that showed a uniformed law enforcement official with an unmarked vehicle pulling a car over in Coralville caught the attention of an elected official last month.

Coralville City Council member Jill Dodds was so alarmed by the implications that she decided to raise the issue at the council's meeting last week.

"I was very concerned about the safety issue, because I grew up in the age of no cell phones," she told the Press-Citizen. "I was always taught, and I also taught my daughter that, if you're concerned (about an unmarked vehicle pulling you over), you drive to a well-lit, populated location for safety."

Recognizing that the unmarked car in the video did not belong to Coralville police, Dodds reached out to Johnson County Sheriff Brad Kunkel to get more information about unmarked vehicles, and a new state law that might pose a dilemma for drivers who are being pulled over by one.

The "Back the Blue" law, a wide-ranging list of enhancements for protest-related offenses and increases in police protections, also has an item related to unmarked vehicles. It adds a section to Iowa's law on eluding, making someone who doesn't stop for an unmarked vehicle at risk of being charged with that offense.

When the Iowa Senate voted on the bill this year, Sen. Kevin Kinney, D-Oxford, said to "be charged with eluding for this is crazy." Kinney is a retired Johnson County sheriff deputy who said he drove an unmarked car for 13 years.

Another law enforcement official and state senator, Dan Dawson, R-Council Bluffs, said he rarely pulls people over while driving an unmarked vehicle.

Dodds, noting she is a "59-year-old white woman," said she would be terrified of being stopped by an unmarked vehicle.

More:Saying she's 'grateful to the heroes,' Gov. Kim Reynolds raises penalties for protest-related crimes, boosts police protections

She said she also talked to Coralville City Attorney Kevin Olson about the new law. Based on his reading, she said officers in unmarked vehicles could be in plainclothes as well.

"Then I thought, 'What if I was a Black 25-year-old male?' And things just kept getting worse in my mind, that this legislation was not a good thing," she said. "And I didn't know what to do with it. So that's why I thought, 'I'm going to bring it to the council.'"

ACLU of Iowa Executive Director Mark Stringer told the Press-Citizen that this addition to the eluding law is "terrible public policy and lawmakers should not have made this dangerous change to Iowa law."

"The advice parents frequently give to young people is not to pull over unless it's a uniformed officer in a police car (and of course to always pull over when it is)," he said. "Even though it is against the law to impersonate a police officer, how are people to know when it's a real police traffic stop, and when it's someone dangerous pretending to be one?"

Dodds continued to think about different scenarios, including how people are now more easily able to buy handguns and carry them in public without a permit, something recently made legal by a different new Iowa law.

She also thought about the safety of an officer in plainclothes, in an unmarked car, walking up to a vehicle and how that could lead to a potentially dangerous situation.

Dodds said by bringing it to the public's attention she wanted to see what local officials can do to start discussing how to keep the community safe.

"It's not very clear that all of these changes were made," she said. "And I don't think that those are good for the safety of, not only our citizens but the safety of our police officers."

Dodds said she has no problem with unmarked vehicles or officers in plainclothes in specific situations and understands the need for them.

"But for general traffic stops, I don't see that that is absolutely necessary when we have an entire department. They could have called in a regular police officer in uniform," she said.

Reactions: lucas80
I’m totally drawing a blank on the woman’s name who was murdered by someone impersonating a cop… But I remember that it shook up my entire hometown when I was young. And it was definitely all over the news that you should not pull over for an unmarked car until you’re at a safe location.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Some states require cars to be marked for routine traffic stops. There are some agencies in FL that have markings that have virtually no contrast though, like flat black lettering on a navy blue or charcoal gray paint job.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
They need to rewrite this law. Nobody should pullover for an unmarked vehicle.

I absolutely agree.

I am not a law Enforcement expert, so can somebody tell me what purpose they serve other than slightly increasing the number of speeding tickets and other minor traffic offenses a department can bill?

I can see them occasionally being useful for some undercover surveillance type of operations… But something like that would not be pulling people over for traffic stops.

Exactly. This needs to be ok.

If an unmarked isn’t happy with how far someone is driving, they should call in marked backup and help route the incident to closure.

You're asking these blue bullies to act sensibly. That is a tall order.

Reactions: hawkifann
"Even though it is against the law to impersonate a police officer, how are people to know when it's a real police traffic stop, and when it's someone dangerous pretending to be one?"

I agree 100%. It's exactly the same as the trans bathroom issue. It's not that trans people are predators at all. It's that predators can pretend to be trans to gain access. Just like someone dangerous could pretend to be a cop.

Some states require cars to be marked for routine traffic stops. There are some agencies in FL that have markings that have virtually no contrast though, like flat black lettering on a navy blue or charcoal gray paint job.
My town is like that, sneaky bastards. Black car, dark gray markings.

2cdacfa8-a34c-40bc-89d9-682a66b6331b-Satellite_Beach_Police_Hiring_More_Officers_2.jpg

c2ba5f00-7578-421e-a0c1-c57054634337-Satellite_Beach_Police_Hiring_More_Officers_4.jpg

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Happened to CJ Jones brother, Corey. Cop drove up in plain clothes and in an unmarked van in the middle of the night while Jones was waiting for someone to assist him with this car.

Reactions: Finance85
Happened to CJ Jones brother, Corey. Cop drove up in plain clothes and in an unmarked van in the middle of the night while Jones was waiting for someone to assist him with this car.

That was an especially egregious example of police incompetence. That dumas officer left the hotel parking lot, where he was working off duty security, rather than calling an on duty marked unit. He drove the wrong way on the interstate off ramp, made an aggressive rambo like approach and pretty much got out and starting shooting. Of course the officer lied about everything. Fortunately the victim was on the phone and the call was being recorded so there was evidence that the officer was lying and completely at fault and acted criminally. What I found even more galling is that this diphiz officer was a supervisor at his previous PD job,

"Even though it is against the law to impersonate a police officer, how are people to know when it's a real police traffic stop, and when it's someone dangerous pretending to be one?"

I agree 100%. It's exactly the same as the trans bathroom issue. It's not that trans people are predators at all. It's that predators can pretend to be trans to gain access. Just like someone dangerous could pretend to be a cop.
9bfa64a3edc4d83773b37c9141341370.gif

I’m totally drawing a blank on the woman’s name who was murdered by someone impersonating a cop… But I remember that it shook up my entire hometown when I was young. And it was definitely all over the news that you should not pull over for an unmarked car until you’re at a safe location.
Unless you are black. Maybe even in the military. But definitely not if you are black.

Reactions: Finance85
Just like everything else, obey the law and you don’t have to worry about it.
I’m usually a back the blue person, but this law is not right. You have the right to pullover in a well lit public area and this punishes that. An unmarked car with an officer not in uniform shouldn’t be pulling people over for routine traffic stops especially at night.

So, what you are saying is that trans people, like traffic cops, need to be marked and in uniform, say maybe required to wear a government approved shirt with a big "T" on the front before entering the bathroom?

What a great analogy. Exactly the same.

Just like everything else, obey the law and you don’t have to worry about it.
There are two major flaws with that. First, there are so many laws, many of which are contradictory, it’s nearly impossible to obey all of them. The labyrinth of federal, state, and municipal statutes is so convoluted that no matter how careful you are, at some point, you will violate something.
Second, many police officers don’t know the laws they are charged with enforcing. Or at the very least, they are willfully ignorant of them. Their unions, along with qualified immunity, make them completely unaccountable for “mistakes,” so they are not motivated to get it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT