ADVERTISEMENT

How Sorry Do You Feel for the Folks Along the Gulf Who Keep Getting Hammered?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
In the abstract I don't feel at all sorry for these dumb fvcks who elect Republicans, watch FOX and deny climate change.

Serves them right.

Then I remember that even in those places there are probably 40% or more who don't vote R, or mainline FOX, and might even understand a little about climate change. Plus all the children, who are blameless; and others who have trouble voting, thanks to poverty, infirmity, and voter suppression.

So then I feel ashamed for thinking they deserve it.

If only there were some way to make sure these disasters only affected those who deserve it.

This is what happens when you force Mother Nature to take action.

I'm confused. Is this a vent thread, a climate change thread, a political thread, or [insert other]?

giphy.gif

You had the weather channel on...had some thoughts and just weren't sure how to flesh them out, huh?

In the context, that Christians are to love their enemies,
Jesus had this to say in the Sermon on the Mount:
"God the Father makes his sun rise on the evil and on
the good and sends rain on the just and the unjust"
Matthew 5:45

The point is that God does not limit his blessings to
only Christians. Even to those who oppose Him, He
gives good things. Hurricanes come upon all types of
people, Christian and non-Christian.

Sad that republicans are only people to fly for pleasure purposes. Own boats, own SUVs, gas powered toys (atv, watercraft), own multiple homes, own large homes.

truly amazing the almost nonexistent carbon footprint liberals leave.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
When God looks down on this nation, he does not see Democrats
and Republicans, or Liberals and Conservatives. When He looks
into our heart He sees either a Christian or a non-Christian.

Christians can lose their home to a hurricane or flood just like
non-Christians. Christian can lose their job due to company
downsizing just like non-Christians. Christians can die of terminal
cancer just like non-Christians.

Christians have the spiritual resources to deal with adversity.
We have faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, as our Lord and
Savior. We have the hope of heaven when our time on this earth
is over.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Zero sympathy for people who decide to live where there are tropical storms or dumb fvcks who build a house in the middle of a pine forest thus disrupting controlled burns and creating a fire bomb waiting to happen.

In the abstract I don't feel at all sorry for these dumb fvcks who elect Republicans, watch FOX and deny climate change.

Serves them right.

Then I remember that even in those places there are probably 40% or more who don't vote R, or mainline FOX, and might even understand a little about climate change. Plus all the children, who are blameless; and others who have trouble voting, thanks to poverty, infirmity, and voter suppression.

If only there were some way to make sure these disasters only affected those who deserve it.

But you believe you can force the climate back in your favor with Mother Nature? I would really love to see that hurricane by hurricane analysis that is tied to climate change and then tracing it to man

Reactions: B1G and goldmom

Serves them right.

I sorta feel sorry for them but got so tired of all their bragging when visiting down there. This is Florida, wow!, Aren't you glad you're here! And the papers were full of overblown news of weather elsewhere. Yes, it was fun to visit.,

I dont feel bad for shit, the earth cools and warms over time, be happy it is currently in a warming phase. If you want to be pissed because we are speeding up the process you probably have a leg to stand on but those people enjoy living where they do 99% of the time. They don't give 2 shots when its -20 for a week straight here.

Reactions: goldmom
Only the ones without the means to relocate. Otherwise it’s like feeling bad for the person who insists on living right next to the river in the flood zone. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: blhawk
If I had the means to live next to a body of water, it would be in California where the weather isn't Africa hot with crazy humidity. If the big one came, well, that would be on me and I'd gladly accept it.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I’ve learned life is so much better when a person can learn to love everyone else, especially those with different views.

That being said, the only way I would feel ‘bad’ for someone losing property in a hurricane is if they had no other options to live somewhere else.

I was severely affected by flooding from Sally. Over 2 feet of rain just 2 weeks after getting 10 inches of rain. Over 5 feet of storm surge.

All that said, I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. I chose to live where I live. I've taken precautions but sometimes they haven't been enough. Live and learn.

Getting hammered once every 10 years or so is one thing, but to deal with destruction and disruption on an annual or bi-annual basis will be prohibitive from a economy, affordability and quality of life standpoint. I wouldn't be surprised to see a gradual retraction from low-lying coastal areas over the next few decades.

Serves them right.

I have empathy for them as I just went through something similar. 12 days without power sucks and I couldn't imagine it in 100° temps. Hopefully everyone can get out with minimal death and damage. Here's to better days ahead 👍

Zero sympathy for people who decide to live where there are tropical storms or dumb fvcks who build a house in the middle of a pine forest thus disrupting controlled burns and creating a fire bomb waiting to happen.

Yeah same here or people who live in places where blizzards, derechos, and tornados happen.

;)

Yeah same here or people who live in places where blizzards, derechos, and tornados happen.

;)
Buy insurance and prepare for the event these could happen....don't expect a handout......if you can't afford the insurance.....you can't afford the house.

I just looked at the NOAA hurricane map and thought those folks are really having a rough time. Had mixed feelings about that. Don't usually have mixed feeling about people in harm's way.
Okay. You just affirmed (and justified) what many moderates/ conservatives think of far left types...

We should not wish ill on any of our fellow Americans over any weather event...fires on the west coast, twisters in Tornado Alley, hurricanes anywhere on the Gulf or Atlantic Seaboard. (Remember Hurricane Sandy hitting the NY/NJ area - those "dumb fvcks" vote blue).

And how many northern retirees live along the Gulf...? A lot.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Certainly don't in Norway.
Where the ocean is cold year round and thus deprives hurricanes of the warm water they need to develop. But winter storms in the North Sea area are extremely fierce. As another poster said, no where on Earth is without imperfect weather.

Okay. You just affirmed (and justified) what many moderates/ conservatives think of far left types...

We should not wish ill on any of our fellow Americans over any weather event...fires on the west coast, twisters in Tornado Alley, hurricanes anywhere on the Gulf or Atlantic Seaboard. (Remember Hurricane Sandy hitting the NY/NJ area - those "dumb fvcks" vote blue).

And how many northern retirees live along the Gulf...? A lot.
Great job flaunting your total submission to political correctness. Not to mention your hypocrisy.

I had you down as better than that.

Serves them right.

Yeah...I always hope that violent gangs and rioters attack, shoot and burn Democrats for the same logic. Then I pray they get out of jail with a bail fund supported by their candidates then get attacked again. 👀

Reactions: B1G
Well that is mostly true. Not 100%, but probably 80
Maybe not even 80% but you know that most who care and act for the environment are Dems.

It's sort of like racism. It's not necessarily the case that most Republicans are racist. But most racists are surely Republicans.

Isn't it interesting that when you parse things that way, the Dems almost always look good, and the Rs almost always look bad. Environment, Dems looks good. Racism, Rs look bad. Education, Dems look good. Democracy, Rs look bad. And so on.

You don't need too many iterations before it should be clear where the problems are coming from.

Reactions: JRHawk2003

Serves them right.

So a Republican who is observant of their carbon footprint and takes measures to reduce it is more deserving than a Liberal who doesn't make any effort?

If I had the means to live next to a body of water, it would be in California where the weather isn't Africa hot with crazy humidity. If the big one came, well, that would be on me and I'd gladly accept it.
Yup, I'm willing to live in SoCal and accept the consequence if a gigantic earthquake comes. Am I a fool? Perhaps, but I'm cool with it.

Reactions: jasonrann
Yup, I'm willing to live in SoCal and accept the consequence if a gigantic earthquake comes. Am I a fool? Perhaps, but I'm cool with it.

You and me both, brother. Living in Orange County near the beach would be pure bliss. I have been going out there every year since the late 90's. Despite a lot of perceptions about California, the locals are cool as shit, the beaches are vast and clean and the temperatures are ideal, at least for me. If that winning lottery ticket ever comes in, that's where we're headed.

Reactions: pink shizzle
We finally have a break from the rain. I think we've received 10"-12" since yesterday. Started to have a little Harvey PTSD, but it's no where near the same. Found a small leak in dinning room. I'm thinking the collar around the vent pipe that's over that room is leaking or it's the flashing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT