ADVERTISEMENT

How Sorry Do You Feel for the Folks Along the Gulf Who Keep Getting Hammered?

I just looked at the NOAA hurricane map and thought those folks are really having a rough time. Had mixed feelings about that. Don't usually have mixed feeling about people in harm's way.

You should cheer against Obama voters next time there's an oil spill. Maybe there's some shrimp fishermen who voted for him that will lose everything if you're lucky.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a gradual retraction from low-lying coastal areas over the next few decades.

You’ll see the poors pushed from the beaches as they won’t be able to afford to rebuild to new code.
Obama and others will still have their beach houses.

4OVi.gif

Getting hammered once every 10 years or so is one thing, but to deal with destruction and disruption on an annual or bi-annual basis will be prohibitive from a economy, affordability and quality of life standpoint. I wouldn't be surprised to see a gradual retraction from low-lying coastal areas over the next few decades.
Insurance companies should be raising their rates big time. Are they?

Zoning should be changing to reflect reality. Is it?

My fear about some of these things is two-fold:

1. People will continue to build and settle these areas, expecting the government/taxpayers to bail them out.

2. Insurance companies and other corporations at risk will have their pet congresspeople pass laws protecting them from having to pay out, or from being liable in any way.

1. People will continue to build and settle these areas, expecting the government/taxpayers to bail them out.

2. Insurance companies and other corporations at risk will have their pet congresspeople pass laws protecting them from having to pay out, or from being liable in any way.
The answer is no, which is why I think it will take decades for this trend to play out.

The answer is no, which is why I think it will take decades for this trend to play out.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "this trend to play out."

If you mean "us to recover from the bad decisions we have made and continue to make," decades may be optimistic.

Whereas if you mean "the shit to hit the fan," it seems ever more clear that we're already starting to see that.

If the zoning hasn’t changed why can’t I build a cinder block house on the ground like the ones I see along the river?
If I bought a lot next door I’m only allowed to build 19’ above sea level.
The cinder block houses went in during the 50s.

Construction codes in Florida have changed, a lot, since Andrew.

Homeowners insurance is extremely high, and that doesn't include flood insurance.

You are right - a lot of people expect taxpayer bailouts.

ADVERTISEMENT