ADVERTISEMENT

how to create a movie dvd from pictures? (question for tech/av experts)

desihawk

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2002
I've been tasked (for a local event in a large hall) with projecting pictures (from an overhead projector) connected to a ancient dvd player. Neither projector nor dvd player has usb slots (both are ancient), so i can't just plug in a usb stick with jpg files. I do not want to lug a laptop and run a hdmi cable to the projector that's 12-15" up on the ceiling. So basically, i want to create a movie and burn to a dvd disc. easy to create a movie with windows media player but it won't play on the dvd player.

For the dvd disc to work in a standard dvd player (again it's old, so i don't think it will play many formats), i believe the pictures should be converted into a movie in video_ts format before burning. i've seen many sites that make mpeg, mov, vob, format movies (i've tried then and they do play on computers but not dvd player). is there a easy way (ideally on the web) to convert to a video_ts?

Whatever it is is gonna be harder, more expensive and more time consuming than "lugging a laptop and run a hdmi cable to the projector that's 12-15" up on the ceiling". That's the only thing I'd trying to make happen. Not to mention, the overhead might be wireless so the laptop may find it without the cable.

Reactions: desihawk and ping72
I have not seen a computer or laptop that could burn a DVD in many years.

What is the input from the projector into the DVD player? Can you leave the same cord to the ceiling, unplug it from the DVD player and insert it into a laptop or something else?

Reactions: desihawk
I have not seen a computer or laptop that could burn a DVD in many years.

What is the input from the projector into the DVD player? Can you leave the same cord to the ceiling, unplug it from the DVD player and insert it into a laptop or something else?
my 3yearish old windows desktop actually has a dvd burner (though i've never used before).
the cord from the ceiling projector likely runs behind the ceiling/walls and reaappears some 30-40 feet away inside a cabinet containing the av equipment. But that is a great idea -- not sure what cable it is (hopefully it's hdmi that i can just swap into a laptop). Thanks.

Reactions: ping72
I'd figure out the DVD player's model number and make, download the owner's manual, and the specs etc should tell you everything you need.

a) what types of images it can play, jpg, png, etc
b) what type of discs it'll handle (DVD+R, DVD-R, "RW's", etc), or it may even play a CD-R/RW too

Most DVD players that were reasonably newer in manufacture can play jpg's from a disc. The owner's manual will tell you what you need to produce. You shouldn't necessarily need to create an actual video slideshow - chances are it'll play a slideshow of the file of images.

I'd figure out the DVD player's model number and make, download the owner's manual, and the specs etc should tell you everything you need.

a) what types of images it can play, jpg, png, etc
b) what type of discs it'll handle (DVD+R, DVD-R, "RW's", etc), or it may even play a CD-R/RW too

Most DVD players that were reasonably newer in manufacture can play jpg's from a disc. The owner's manual will tell you what you need to produce. You shouldn't necessarily need to create an actual video slideshow - chances are it'll play a slideshow of the file of images.
pretty sure this model is ancient. it's a jvc brand unit that contains both dvd and get this vhs players!
i don't think i'm going to figure this out in time for tomorrow, so it will have to be a laptop setup i think.

What's the model number?

JVC USA User Manuals

I did a simple search for a JVC DVD VCR combo and got a model HR-XVC26U. I went to this site, plugged that in, and downloaded the manual. It states there is jpg support and to use a CD-R or CD-RW with up to 99 groups and 150 jpg files per group.

All you then do once the disc is made is load it, pull up a file on it, press play - and a slideshow of all the pics in the file will play.

My bet is your model will do the exact same thing given it's also a JVC.

What's the model number?

JVC USA User Manuals

I did a simple search for a JVC DVD VCR combo and got a model HR-XVC26U. I went to this site, plugged that in, and downloaded the manual. It states there is jpg support and to use a CD-R or CD-RW with up to 99 groups and 150 jpg files per group.

All you then do once the disc is made is load it, pull up a file on it, press play - and a slideshow of all the pics in the file will play.

My bet is your model will do the exact same thing given it's also a JVC.
holy shit! thank you! i don’t know the model# but considering how rare dvd+vhs likely is, your steps will almost certainly work. easy enough to burn pics to a cd-r. worst case will go with laptop.
that was above and beyond, appreciate it.

Reactions: bagdropper
holy shit! thank you! i don’t know the model# but considering how rare dvd+vhs likely is, your steps will almost certainly work. easy enough to burn pics to a cd-r. worst case will go with laptop.
that was above and beyond, appreciate it.

Sure. Not my first rodeo...I had to do something similar for my mom's funeral. I had to use a laptop because the projector video input was VGA with a headphone jack for audio. I was able to play the images in Windows Media Center and had my mom's favorite music ripped on the laptop using WMC there too.

I'd just make a disc, make sure you got no more than 150 files in each individual folder. I'd believe you could probably if you have say 300 images to make a master folder, then put 2 individual folders within that folder with no more jpg's than 150 in each. 500 pics...4 folders. You get the idea.

Pull up the master file folder on the player, press play. It should play the pics in both nested folders. If not, then you'd have to play each individual folder one at a time.

That'd be my guess anyway...

ADVERTISEMENT