ADVERTISEMENT

How to get health insurance for FREE!

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
So, tucked inside the American Rescue Plan is this little nugget for subsidized COBRA coverage.

Normally, you have to pay the full premium if you lose your group health coverage and want to continue it under COBRA.

But now, we have a new deal! If you don't have health coverage because you can't afford it, there's now a path to get it, virtually for FREE!

Step 1: Get a job that offers group health insurance.

Step 2: Satisfy the waiting period and enroll when you're eligible to do so.

Step 3: Once your coverage is effective, get fired.

Step 4: Your former employer now has to pay 100 percent of your premiums and keep you on the group plan through September 2021.

YOU PAY NOTHING! FREE HEALTHCARE! WOOT! WOOT!

Thanks, Nancy and Joe! What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: haw-key
Except most of that's not true. And it's subsidized by the friggin' bill.

Every word of it is true and the employers will get a tax credit to cover the cost eventually.

Which means John and Jane Taxpayer is footing the bill for people who want free healthcare.

So, tucked inside the American Rescue Plan is this little nugget for subsidized COBRA coverage.

Normally, you have to pay the full premium if you lose your group health coverage and want to continue it under COBRA.

But now, we have a new deal! If you don't have health coverage because you can't afford it, there's now a path to get it, virtually for FREE!

Step 4: Your former employer now has to pay 100 percent of your premiums and keep you on the group plan through September 2021.

200.gif

How could this potentially impact you? Just wondering.

First of all, my HR department is going to have to go through all the bureaucratic nonsense in order to comply. There will be a bunch of new notices we'll have to send out to eligible former employees.

Secondly, many people don't take COBRA because of the cost. Many of them will jump on the gravy train once they find out about this.

Lastly, if you don't think the liberals won't raise taxes to pay for all this largess, then I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying.

Reactions: SIXERS24
Do you really think that someone is going to run out and get a job with health benefits, work through whatever period is needed to qualify for health insurance(which is what, 30-90 days probably?) and then quit so that they can then get free health care for maybe 3 months? Do you really believe that to be true?

I take it you don't have any low wage employees.

First of all, my HR department is going to have to go through all the bureaucratic nonsense in order to comply. There will be a bunch of new notices we'll have to send out to eligible former employees.

Secondly, many people don't take COBRA because of the cost. Many of them will jump on the gravy train once they find out about this.

Lastly, if you don't think the liberals won't raise taxes to pay for all this largess, then I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying.
What's that add, like 3 pages to your 46 page handbook? The horror.

Reactions: Wendy79

Awwwwww, you're gonna have to do some work? Poor guy.

Do you really think that someone is going to run out and get a job with health benefits, work through whatever period is needed to qualify for health insurance(which is what, 30-90 days probably?) and then quit so that they can then get free health care for maybe 3 months? Do you really believe that to be true?
This was my first thought as well.

That's a lot of effort for just 2 to 3 months of free healthcare.

Are fired employees eligible for COBRA?

I take it you don't have any low wage employees.

I don't have any employees but I know a lot of lazy people. Most don't care enough about health insurance to actually work a job for any length of time to get it. Not to mention, most low wage people are qualifying for medicaid. They aren't working low wage jobs for health care
I'm going to edit this because I don't want to insinuate all low wage people are lazy. Someone who quits a job just to get free health care would be lazy. And lazy people aren't trying to work for health care when they can sit home and get medicaid. Come on now.

It's Trad....So yeah, probably he does really think that.

Sounds like a lot of work for 3 months of free healthcare

Another option is if you already have health insurance through your job and the premium deductions are killing you, you could get fired and then you can get your free healthcare while you go through the waiting period in your next job and then see what's in the Biden admin goody bag come September.

Man...you know Trad is only in this game for his 50 cent a mile reimbursement, Marriott points and to add to his collection of sleeveless novelty t-shirts.

FFS, imagine working at such a place where your HR department has this view of employees.

You would not believe some of our employees.

Like in any workplace, we have some great, talented and amazing folks working for us.

And we also have people who are just downright awful.

Another option is if you already have health insurance through your job and the premium deductions are killing you, you could get fired and then you can get your free healthcare while you go through the waiting period in your next job and then see what's in the Biden admin goody bag come September.

Trad logic: health insurance premiums are killing me ---> I should get fired so I can get free health insurance.

This thread is a great example of why you can make a compelling argument that Trad is the worst poster on the board. He isn't nearly as stupid as he seems, he is capable of reading, writing and a degree of comprehension, yet he seemingly chooses the stupid path.

Lots of our other terrible posters don't have a choice in the matter.

Reactions: JWolf74 and hawk771

Holy shit, Trad’s gonna have to do his job and some people might be able to afford health insurance that couldn’t before. What a disaster.

Reactions: Wendy79
ADVERTISEMENT