ADVERTISEMENT

How Tracy and Jones do at Purdue..

Kurt Warner

HR Heisman
Jan 12, 2010
Iowa
Is going to be very interesting and telling. I have a feeling Kirk and Brian might be a little nervous. We already know Jones is a great return guy but if he blows up as a receiver and Tracy also does well, it's going to be more proof of iowa's offensive ineptness

🤔

Is going to be very interesting and telling. I have a feeling Kirk and Brian might be a little nervous. We already know Jones is a great return guy but if he blows up as a receiver and Tracy also does well, it's going to be more proof of iowa's offensive ineptness

🤔
Hope this fires up Phil to shut down Brohm. Tired of watching their sexy O bring in 3 qb’s while we trot out a 3 year starter that still shits the bed.

🤔
The ONLY thing KF is nervous about is how to game plan for each opponent to secure a win. It is laughable you think this is how they spend their time. My god people how small and petty can you be? Probably smaller and pettier but at least we know how you spend your time. Giants in the field of coaching and athletics administration all.

The ONLY thing KF is nervous about is how to game plan for each opponent to secure a win. It is laughable you think this is how they spend their time. My god people how small and petty can you be? Probably smaller and pettier but at least we know how you spend your time. Giants in the field of coaching and athletics administration all.

If you don't think they think about it you're a knothead

200.gif

Feels like there's a lot at stake here, especially since Iowa has somehow managed to recruit Indiana pretty well up until now. Perhaps Brohm is smelling a bit of blood in the water, especially when it comes to home state kids who somehow landed in Iowa City playing for an inferior offense, at least from an excitement point of view.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t have any fear of CJ or TT against Phil’s back 7. Purely an opinion and nothing against either of them but neither is even in the same hemisphere as David Bell is as a WR from a physical and positional abilities standpoint.
I fully understand the interest in transferring to a place like Purdue but I don’t believe doing so will changes the fact that neither will sniff an nfl roster beyond practice squad at best.
The Purdue scheme is absolutely more WR friendly than Iowa and both will get targets but Iowa will also have at minimum a top 3 defense in the B10 and our guys know exactly what both bring to the table. I can guarantee they aren’t scared.
CJ could put them in decent field position on a return but again Iowa is very disciplined on special teams and regularly contains as good as any team in the country.
Prediction wise I can see a slight uptick in WR stat numbers for both than while at Iowa but lower numbers in return stats for CJ.
Baring injuries, I see KJ and AB having better stats than both come the end of the year.
GO HAWKS

What I was saying in another thread. Not sure it’s a good thing for Purdue if they are in your top 4 in wr depth (besides losing one to grades and no bell not sure what they return or have for young guys). Obviously if healthy both will put up better numbers with a competent qb and OC but how much of drop off will there be from last years wr production for Purdue and success of the team.

2 things that hurt Iowa most are depth at wr and Jones return skills. However think woods is one of best ST coaches in nation and find someone else capable in return game who may not be as good as Jones but not see a big dip in production.

Honestly...give me a break...of course the potential is there for Tracy and Jones to get catches at Purdue and make them look good, but it shouldn't reflect on Iowa. Purdue has a top 5 in the country QB returning. Purdue throws the ball considerably more than Iowa. Of course they should have more catches.

Now...what does it say if Arland Bruce & Keegan Johnson have huge years...40 - 50 catches a piece and impact each and every game? Does it mean Brian and Copeland were right...Bruce and Johnson earned their playing time because they were BETTER...they both are certainly more physical players and fit Iowa's offense better IMO.

Everyone is looking for additional angles to attack Brian Ferentz...my point...you don't need any more angles...he's on a hot seat right now whether his dad is coach or not. This is a big year for him. He needs to make sure he has an offensive line who can perform...and if I'm KF...I'm focused with Barnett every day in fall camp to make sure these guys are ready. Brian's job depends on it. I'm not saying he's forced out next year...but it could happen in two years...if the offense is 116 of 130. At that point...the fanbase will be unglued.

The one thing Brian has in his favor...he's going to start 5 guys on the offensive line...every one of them will be back for 2023...and possibly 2024 depending on who starts. If they can stay away from transfers, injuries...I would expect our OL of the next few years is going to be veterans and nasty.

I honestly don’t have any fear of CJ or TT against Phil’s back 7. Purely an opinion and nothing against either of them but neither is even in the same hemisphere as David Bell is as a WR from a physical and positional abilities standpoint.
I fully understand the interest in transferring to a place like Purdue but I don’t believe doing so will changes the fact that neither will sniff an nfl roster beyond practice squad at best.
The Purdue scheme is absolutely more WR friendly than Iowa and both will get targets but Iowa will also have at minimum a top 3 defense in the B10 and our guys know exactly what both bring to the table. I can guarantee they aren’t scared.
CJ could put them in decent field position on a return but again Iowa is very disciplined on special teams and regularly contains as good as any team in the country.
Prediction wise I can see a slight uptick in WR stat numbers for both than while at Iowa but lower numbers in return stats for CJ.
Baring injuries, I see KJ and AB having better stats than both come the end of the year.
GO HAWKS

In Brohm's offense anyone can go off. Our #4 WR Terry Wright in 2018 against you guys had 3 TDs and 146 yds. That's why this offense is loved by WRs and I'm sure Jones is hoping he can at least double his production from last year.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Jones put up 700 yds and 7 Tds at least

Hope this fires up Phil to shut down Brohm. Tired of watching their sexy O bring in 3 qb’s while we trot out a 3 year starter that still shits the bed.
The last time we played a three year starter at QB against Purdue (2019) we won. The two times before that (2016 and 2006) we also won.

What are you talking about?

The last time we played a three year starter at QB against Purdue (2019) we won. The two times before that (2016 and 2006) we also won.

What are you talking about?
I think he's making a somewhat reasonable prediction of how Iowa's 3-year-starter at QB will fare this season..

I think he's making a somewhat reasonable prediction of how Iowa's 3-year-starter at QB will fare this season..
He didn’t phrase it that way. Pretty sure he’s running his mouth off without having a clue. That’s kind of the norm on this board. If he wants to be jealous of a team that finished fourth in the Big Ten West while the Hawkeyes won the division, that’s his prerogative, but he should at least have his facts straight. This century, third year Iowa starting QBs are undefeated against the Boilermakers.

And now, having mowed my lawn and got the kids down for their nap and having nothing to do until dinner plans at 7:30 tonight, I’m looking into last century too. Third year starter Matt Sherman beat Purdue in 1997. Third year starter Matt Rogers beat Purdue in 1991. Chuck Long beat Purdue in 1985. Seniors Pete Gale and Gordy Bohanon split time in 1981, so not sure we can classify them as third year starters, but I’ll let you guess how we did against Purdue that year. (Hint: we didn’t lose or tie.)

Again, third year starting quarterbacks at Iowa might “shit the bed” against Purdue, but it hasn’t happened in over 40 years.

Don’t make things up to bitch about. It’s unbecoming.

And now, having mowed my lawn and got the kids down for their nap and having nothing to do until dinner plans at 7:30 tonight, I’m looking into last century too. Third year starter Matt Sherman beat Purdue in 1997. Third year starter Matt Rogers beat Purdue in 1991. Chuck Long beat Purdue in 1985. Seniors Pete Gale and Gordy Bohanon split time in 1981, so not sure we can classify them as third year starters, but I’ll let you guess how we did against Purdue that year. (Hint: we didn’t lose or tie.)

Again, third year starting quarterbacks at Iowa might “shit the bed” against Purdue, but it hasn’t happened in over 40 years.

Don’t make things up to bitch about. It’s unbecoming.
have you seen this year's 3rd year starter play?

With a healthy oline and experienced receivers?

No, and neither have you.

If you’re wanting to preemptively bitch about hypotheticals, my free time would be better spent staring blankly off into the middle distance.
We've seen him with o-lines that are as healthy as any other year. Same w/ WRs. We know what he is, and if you want to argue it, you're being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

🤔

KF doesn't think that even for a second.

KF does not sit in his kitchen sucking his thumb worrying about someone discovering that Iowa's offense isn't very good.

A. He KNOWS it's not very good

B. He has the confidence to do what he thinks is best for the team. Whether or not fans agree with him is not his concern.

There is absolutely NO doubt in my mind that Tracy and Jones will have a statistically better year in 2022 than they did in 2021. Purdue is VERY good at developing QB's, receivers and building an excellent passing offense.

🤔
It will be almost impossible for them not to have much better receiving seasons simply because Purdue actually HAS an aerial offense. Time for Kirk to retire because he won't modernize.
Phil & LeVar are going to have to be superhuman (AGAIN) for us to be relevant.

We've seen him with o-lines that are as healthy as any other year. Same w/ WRs. We know what he is, and if you want to argue it, you're being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.
Any other year?

2002. Hawkeyes started 4 5th year seniors and a 4th year junior Robert Gallery on the oline every single game. No one missed any time with injury. Healthy wire to wire.

Maybe you remember it - The guy Ken O’Keefe was coaching at QB finished second in the Heisman voting. Think he still goes to New York if Mark Kallenberger was supposed to be his tackle but quit, then Kyler Schott was supposed to be his guard but has his hay bail accident, then Justin Britt is supposed to be his other guard but is never right?

“Same w/ WR’s?” You can’t be serious. Give me 2010 with 4th year junior Marvin McNutt and 5th year senior DJK over true freshmen Keagan and Arland. No offense to them. Or 2009 with 5th year seniors Trey Stross and Tony Moeaki. Went to the Orange Bowl with those guys.

It’s almost like supporting cast matters.

When you make up reasons to be mad, it starts a spiral where you say really dumb things.

🤔
Exactly

What I was saying in another thread. Not sure it’s a good thing for Purdue if they are in your top 4 in wr depth (besides losing one to grades and no bell not sure what they return or have for young guys). Obviously if healthy both will put up better numbers with a competent qb and OC but how much of drop off will there be from last years wr production for Purdue and success of the team.

2 things that hurt Iowa most are depth at wr and Jones return skills. However think woods is one of best ST coaches in nation and find someone else capable in return game who may not be as good as Jones but not see a big dip in production.
I'd be shocked if both are in the top 4. Tracy will play the roll of Jackson anthrop. RB and slot. Purdue has a packed WR room.

GO HAWKS
I think it's absolutely reasonable to assume that CJ will have much better WR stats next year than he had this year and possibly better stats than either KJ or AB. CJ will be a quality receiver in a much better offense for receivers that regularly catch 50+ passes. Not sure about TT as some of his issues with production were self inflicted through drops but I wouldn't be too surprised to see his numbers improve dramatically as well.

🤔
LOL. How much more evidence is really needed to know Iowa’s offense stinks?

Any other year?

2002. Hawkeyes started 4 5th year seniors and a 4th year junior Robert Gallery on the oline every single game. No one missed any time with injury. Healthy wire to wire.

Maybe you remember it - The guy Ken O’Keefe was coaching at QB finished second in the Heisman voting. Think he still goes to New York if Mark Kallenberger was supposed to be his tackle but quit, then Kyler Schott was supposed to be his guard but has his hay bail accident, then Justin Britt is supposed to be his other guard but is never right?

“Same w/ WR’s?” You can’t be serious. Give me 2010 with 4th year junior Marvin McNutt and 5th year senior DJK over true freshmen Keagan and Arland. No offense to them. Or 2009 with 5th year seniors Trey Stross and Tony Moeaki. Went to the Orange Bowl with those guys.

It’s almost like supporting cast matters.

When you make up reasons to be mad, it starts a spiral where you say really dumb things.
The fact you had to go back to 2002 proves my point.

The fact you had to go back to 2002 proves my point.
You didn’t say “any year except 2002.” I get it. You’re really unhappy and you want to beat a really dead horse even deader that QB play wasn’t great last year. But neither was oline play, receiver play, or running back play. Supporting cast matters and last year’s sucked.

And we still won the Big Ten West.

I promise you there’s no new or clever way to say the thing that you’re so mad about. Take the last word. Get it all out.

Although we may never know, I would be really curious to hear the thoughts from current Iowa players about the Tracy and Jones transfers. If I had to guess, most would have no issues with the Tracy transfer, but would take exception to the Jones transfer due to the timing. Based on when it happened, it feels like Jones quit on his teammates to personally benefit himself.

You didn’t say “any year except 2002.” I get it. You’re really unhappy and you want to beat a really dead horse even deader that QB play wasn’t great last year. But neither was oline play, receiver play, or running back play. Supporting cast matters and last year’s sucked.

And we still won the Big Ten West.

I promise you there’s no new or clever way to say the thing that you’re so mad about. Take the last word. Get it all out.
Again, when you need to point to a 20 year old exception as your example, nothing else needs said.

Although we may never know, I would be really curious to hear the thoughts from current Iowa players about the Tracy and Jones transfers. If I had to guess, most would have no issues with the Tracy transfer, but would take exception to the Jones transfer due to the timing. Based on when it happened, it feels like Jones quit on his teammates to personally benefit himself.

Tracy transfer was cool. Iowa fans loved him as a dude and more or less supported him transferring. To Purdue though was like, damn, they are gonna use him against Iowa in so many ways that hurt our hearts. Jones transfer is a straight F U. Because for starters, you know Tracy had something to do with it. Makes it feel gross. And mostly, because he was gonna be Top 5 most important dudes on Iowa’s team next year. So he’s gonna leave and catch like 80 balls for Purdue next year, but prolly doesn’t wanna see his Iowa teammates pregame. He’ll divert his eyes.

It will be almost impossible for them not to have much better receiving seasons simply because Purdue actually HAS an aerial offense. Time for Kirk to retire because he won't modernize.
Phil & LeVar are going to have to be superhuman (AGAIN) for us to be relevant.
It just makes you look dumb. The head coach is 100% responsible for the anemic offense. The head coach has nothing to do with the stellar play of the defense and special teams.

You've never seen the kid who's starting his 3rd season play?
He's NEVER started a game IN his third year. That seems obvious. The discussion was about the success of QB's in their THIRD year as starter, and he's NEVER played a game in his THIRD year. That clear enough.....

• Haha
Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT