ADVERTISEMENT

How well you guys stack up this year in the Big10 ?

10 or 11 wins would be a fantastic year. Schedule looks quite a bit tougher on paper. Big ?'s at receiver (nothing new for us). TEs should be serviceable. New starter at QB. New OC. We return some talent on defense but also lost two draft picks and some other key contributors.

Greg Davis's protégé is now Iowa's OC. This protégé also has at his disposal O'Keefe and Polasek who spent years as OCs themselves. So we have 3 times as much offensive brain power as most of our opponents. I'm expecting big things.

D will be ho-hum as always. Top-25ish with the odd flirtation with top-10 in some categories. That is assuming that the new interior DLinemen prove as durable as we've come to expect.

Special teams are in new unproven hands and we can only hope for the best.

Lots of good pieces but not sure if all the parts will come together this year. Will need lucky breaks to win more than 8.

Reactions: pepsicock
Hey Pepsi congrats to South Carolina's basketball team I believe making their first final four.

I believe the big ? Will be receivers(as most years). Offensive line should be solid as well as the Defensive line both have great depth. Quarterback is a question mark too we really don't know what to expect there. As long as Wadley stays healthy should have a great run game. We play a lot harder Big10 teams this year, I'd say we will be around 7-9 wins,anything more than 8 wins will be a good to great year.

I think the majority of folks on here would pencil in 6-6 or 7-5 and be happy if it's any better than that. Cautious optimism and relief that someone--anyone--other than Greg Davis is calling plays.

Greg Davis's protégé is now Iowa's OC. This protégé also has at his disposal O'Keefe and Polasek who spent years as OCs themselves. So we have 3 times as much offensive brain power as most of our opponents. I'm expecting big things.

D will be ho-hum as always. Top-25ish with the odd flirtation with top-10 in some categories. That is assuming that the new interior DLinemen prove as durable as we've come to expect.

Special teams are in new unproven hands and we can only hope for the best.

Lots of good pieces but not sure if all the parts will come together this year. Will need lucky breaks to win more than 8.
BF is certainly not Davis's protege. While I think the offense at its core will be the basic KF balanced pound the run to set up the pass offense, you'll see significant differences to what Davis was doing. The defense while not flashy, is certainly not ho hum either.

Reactions: Ree4
I'm thinking we finish in the 7-5 range and 8-4 would be a blessing. Schedule is tougher and we have two quarterbacks where one hasn't stood out over the other. Our receiving game will be the biggest question mark. We have talented tight ends, Oline should be good, running game should be solid and will be heavily relied upon ... Solid at linebacker ... D-line should be tough ... dbackfield should hold its own ... On paper, this is a nice Iowa team. But with the tougher schedule and the ? mark at receiver ... and unproven quarterback ... anything more than 7-8 wins will be a stretch (in my opinion)

Reactions: Herkmeister
Greg Davis's protégé is now Iowa's OC.
???

Anyway, I don't really have more to add about the breakdown, but I don't put down an automatic 6-6/7-5. I'm actually optimistic about this year and think 10 wins is possible. Strong D and running game will take you far.

We have a tough schedule this year from the get go.

Offense will be good if we can get anything out of the WR position.

Defense will be solid. Special teams should be solid.

Might have a pretty good team but schedule might keep it in the 7-5 range. I would be happey with that or 8-4 this year.

BF is certainly not Davis's protege.....

Bill Belichick's protégé.

The GD protege point was me being partially naughty. That said, GD delivered the only undefeated regular season we've seen at Iowa in forever...an unforgettable one to me anyway. So hope Brian learned something (both to do and what not to) from that old man.

Going forward, one of question marks that will be answered is whether Brian has the capacity for sustaining leadership/excellence through an entire season, and then whether he can extend that season to season. In other words, while BF may be smart enough to gameplan a killer game or two or even three, it frequently takes experience to know how to calibrate OC-ing through an entire season. So 8+ wins would be a great start. But any less with the weapons at our disposal would be disappointing.

Who the hell knows anymore. However the team is projected to do by general consensus....they will probably do the opposite. That is my perception under KF anyway.

I see 7-5 as most likely and that's giving Iowa the benefit of the doubt going 3-0 non conference. Losses to PSU, MSU, OSU, NW, and UW = 4-5 in B10.

I see 7-5 as most likely and that's giving Iowa the benefit of the doubt going 3-0 non conference. Losses to PSU, MSU, OSU, NW, and UW = 4-5 in B10.
I think you're being overly harsh to call all five of those sure losses. OSU's the surest loss we have, and PSU doesn't look promising at this point. The other three are tossups at worst.

He didn't call them sure losses, just called us to lose those games.

MSU, NW and UW are not "tossups at worst". That would mean a pick'em line.

Those three are all on the road. I figure we are at least a 3 point dog in all of them. Which isn't to say they aren't winnable, but they would be a mild upset.

Reactions: Eternal Return
I think you're being overly harsh to call all five of those sure losses. OSU's the surest loss we have, and PSU doesn't look promising at this point. The other three are tossups at worst.
Id agree here. While NW is a worthy adversary, I'm not scared by them. Wisky is almost always a coin flip. MSU looks to be a shambles right now. I'd be disappointed if that ones a loss.

I'm basing that on the inexperience, unknowns, and/or pitiful play of Iowa's QBs and WRs next year. So, okay, I'll say Iowa wins against UW, but loses to Wyoming. Or, Iowa wins against NW, but loses to Nebraska. Unless a miracle occurs among Iowa WRs this year and Iowa's QB emerges as at least as decent as Jake Rudock (not at Michigan, but at Iowa--not exactly the highest bar) then I think I'm being generous at 7-5 overall and 4-5 in the B10.

7 wins, that's how KF keeps his job... year in and year out.
Don't forget about the blow out bowl game loss.

Id agree here. While NW is a worthy adversary, I'm not scared by them. Wisky is almost always a coin flip. MSU looks to be a shambles right now. I'd be disappointed if that ones a loss.

Well, NW beat Iowa last year--at Kinnick. They also have a better team coming back next year than they had last year and Iowa's got a worse team coming back this year than it had last year. And Clayton Thorson is better than any of Iowa's QBs and I think they still have Justin Jackson and their receivers are better than Iowa. The one thing that might help Iowa is if Vanedeberg is truly back to his old form and Noah Fant is capable of being spread out wide in order to get other good TEs on the field. But even then, it's all on the QB to be able to deliver the ball. So far, I have zero faith in Iowa's QBs and I won't until they prove themselves.

You may be right about MSU, but that's an early B10 opponent on the road and we all know Iowa's tradition of starting slow, especially with inexperienced offenses. I think Iowa wins most of its November games, including against Nebraska. But September is a crapshoot (mostly because of Wyoming) and October is, too, because Iowa's still going to be feeling their way in my opinion. Sure, iowa could go 8-4. Wouldn't surprise me. But I also wouldn't be surprised by 5-7 or 6-6. So if my range is 5-7 to 8-4, I'd say I'm being optimistic by saying the Hawks should go 7-5.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
He didn't call them sure losses, just called us to lose those games.

MSU, NW and UW are not "tossups at worst". That would mean a pick'em line.

Those three are all on the road. I figure we are at least a 3 point dog in all of them. Which isn't to say they aren't winnable, but they would be a mild upset.

Nice! You interpreted my meaning perfectly. I chose those games because they were road games. It wouldn't surprise me to see Iowa beat any one of them, especially MSU, but an early B10 road game for an inexperienced offense isn't good. I think MSU's season last year was an outlier and I would expect a fight at the very least. New QB winning on the road early in the B10 slate? Maybe. I hope. But I'm remaining conservative/realistic for now until I see something with the WRs and QBs.

Reactions: ichawk24
Well, NW beat Iowa last year--at Kinnick. They also have a better team coming back next year than they had last year and Iowa's got a worse team coming back this year than it had last year. And Clayton Thorson is better than any of Iowa's QBs and I think they still have Justin Jackson and their receivers are better than Iowa. The one thing that might help Iowa is if Vanedeberg is truly back to his old form and Noah Fant is capable of being spread out wide in order to get other good TEs on the field. But even then, it's all on the QB to be able to deliver the ball. So far, I have zero faith in Iowa's QBs and I won't until they prove themselves.

You may be right about MSU, but that's an early B10 opponent on the road and we all know Iowa's tradition of starting slow, especially with inexperienced offenses. I think Iowa wins most of its November games, including against Nebraska. But September is a crapshoot (mostly because of Wyoming) and October is, too, because Iowa's still going to be feeling their way in my opinion. Sure, iowa could go 8-4. Wouldn't surprise me. But I also wouldn't be surprised by 5-7 or 6-6. So if my range is 5-7 to 8-4, I'd say I'm being optimistic by saying the Hawks should go 7-5.
I get all that. We also went to NW 2 years ago when they had high hopes on their homecoming day. and beat the crap out of the Kittys. As I remember they were heavily favored, and we had a number of injuries, and some guy named Wadley ran through them like crap thru a goose. I'm not saying NW isn't worthy or that it won't be a challenge, but I'm also not going to sit hear in May, and think, Damn, well at NW thats a loss! Sorry. I'm still in the camp that one of these QB's will be serviceable, and we'll find a few pass catchers between the new guys, and the TE's. Hell we only have to be marinally better throwing the ball. If we get that, then we should be able to run it as well.

Who the hell knows anymore. However the team is projected to do by general consensus....they will probably do the opposite. That is my perception under KF anyway.

Well then, I'm saying we won't win a game and get absolutely annihilated in our bowl game.

How can you make predictions about how our QB's are going to play next year while they are in the middle of learning a new offense and it's the beginning of May?

You are a poor with no inside info. Get on outa here. :cool:
2aa7b7fbf3d8a6e7aca3317842742fb1.jpg

Reactions: Herkmeister
Who is everyone thinking we lose to? Seems most will be shocked if we lose 4 or less.
I can see marking OSU and PSU as a loss....but the way kirk teams play vs top competition, you never really know.
WI/NE could be losses but I would be a little surprised to lose both.
NW always gives us a run for our money, but I wouldn't be putting my money on them to win.
People seem to be scared of MSU.....WHY?!?! 1 big ten win last year and vs rutgers!!!
Personally I would be a bit disappointed with less than 8 wins. Yes we'll have a new OC etc, but that also makes it harder on the opponents. Hopefully we can win our OOC by a decent amount and not have to give away any secrets stashed away :)

I get all that. We also went to NW 2 years ago when they had high hopes on their homecoming day. and beat the crap out of the Kittys. As I remember they were heavily favored, and we had a number of injuries, and some guy named Wadley ran through them like crap thru a goose. I'm not saying NW isn't worthy or that it won't be a challenge, but I'm also not going to sit hear in May, and think, Damn, well at NW thats a loss! Sorry. I'm still in the camp that one of these QB's will be serviceable, and we'll find a few pass catchers between the new guys, and the TE's. Hell we only have to be marinally better throwing the ball. If we get that, then we should be able to run it as well.

So, you're comparing next year's team to the team that went 12-2 in 2015? You're comparing Nate Stanley to CJ Beatherd. You're thinking Vandenberg comes back from injury just as good as before and for Stanley to be able to complete passes to him as effectively as CJ did? And you suspect that one of the other receivers will be able to stretch the field the way Tevaun Smith did? You expect the TEs to be as good as the two NFL TEs that played that year, Kittle and HKC? And you think NW is going to be worse than they were that year even though they have the best QB in the West coming back, Justin Jackson coming back, and all-in-all look like a better team than the last two years?

Uh, no. Iowa might win, but they might also lose to Minnesota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Penn State. Pick your poison. I said 7-5 is my expectation and with that schedule and Iowa's shortcomings, that's probably optimistic. But you go ahead and expect 9-3 or something. We'll see how it turns out.

EDIT: I'm saying Iowa wins three of their eight toughest games. It seemed more logical to pick an early B10 loss on the road than to lose late to Nebraska on the road. But if you want to switch those wins and losses, okay. They are almost destined to lose five games next year ... and qualify for a really ugly bowl game.

6 to 8 wins. Another bowl loss.

If they could give us some surprises in the win column that would be fantastic.
I'd take a loss to wyoming or even the (ugh) 'clones in ames if I could get a completely unexpected upset win over tosu.

Really, really concerned about QBs and WRs. I smell a 7 and 5 coming on with a loss in Ames against the Clowns. Defense and running game will be the strengths

So, you're comparing next year's team to the team that went 12-2 in 2015? You're comparing Nate Stanley to CJ Beatherd. You're thinking Vandenberg comes back from injury just as good as before and for Stanley to be able to complete passes to him as effectively as CJ did? And you suspect that one of the other receivers will be able to stretch the field the way Tevaun Smith did? You expect the TEs to be as good as the two NFL TEs that played that year, Kittle and HKC? And you think NW is going to be worse than they were that year even though they have the best QB in the West coming back, Justin Jackson coming back, and all-in-all look like a better team than the last two years?

Uh, no. Iowa might win, but they might also lose to Minnesota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Penn State. Pick your poison. I said 7-5 is my expectation and with that schedule and Iowa's shortcomings, that's probably optimistic. But you go ahead and expect 9-3 or something. We'll see how it turns out.

EDIT: I'm saying Iowa wins three of their eight toughest games. It seemed more logical to pick an early B10 loss on the road than to lose late to Nebraska on the road. But if you want to switch those wins and losses, okay. They are almost destined to lose five games next year ... and qualify for a really ugly bowl game.
I'm just saying the games aren't played on paper, and Iowa has suprises every year some good, and some bad. How many times in the last couple of years were the hawks underdogs, sometimes Big underdogs,(like Michigan), and pulled out the win?I'd be pleased as heck if we win more then 8 games next year, given the passing game struggles, and a tougher conference schedule. Just think they will handle NWestern. I think we can run the ball on them, and control the clock, but like you said we'll see.

Followed you guys since the 2009 . I know you always have a good D line and O line . But what about your skill people on offense . Especially tight end and QB . I believe 10 or 11 wins for the Hawks this year . Your bye week sets up real nice . GO HAWKS !
I think it's time we turned the ? around: what can we expect from the 'Cocks this year?

8-4 or 9-3 and in contention in the west. Just because you guys always do the opposite of what I think.

With a new QB and ?s at WR, plus me chalking up the Nebraska game as a loss for Iowa since I'm a homer Husker fan. My original prediction was 6-6.

If not the huskers, anyone but wisky winning the west I'll take. So sick of that team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT