ADVERTISEMENT

How Would the Ukraine War Be Different if Ukraine Had Already Joined NATO?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Would US troops be on the ground in Ukraine? Or UK troops, or German troops, or French troops...?

Because if not, it's not clear what the difference would be. I mean we have already doubled the Ukrainian defense budget and are on the verge of quadrupling it on top of that. We are giving it top weapons, advanced intelligence, and probably a bunch of stuff we don't admit.

So, again, how would things be different if Ukraine belonged to NATO?

Would US troops be on the ground in Ukraine? Or UK troops, or German troops, or French troops...?

Because if not, it's not clear what the difference would be. I mean we have already doubled the Ukrainian defense budget and are on the verge of quadrupling it on top of that. We are giving it top weapons, advanced intelligence, and probably a bunch of stuff we don't admit.

It wouldn't have happened.

Maybe, maybe not. But that's not the question.

If Russia had rolled into Ukraine just as they did, what would be different?

Surely you don't think we'd launch nukes. So if we don't launch nukes, what do we do?

Well that is a huge if because it wouldn’t happen. But we’d have had troops on the ground repulsing the invasion.

Russia doesn’t attack.

Article 5.

Baltic states much easier pickings than Ukraine but they’re NATO.

Main reason Putin opposed Ukraines membership in NATO….takes them off the table.

Surely you don't think we'd launch nukes. So if we don't launch nukes, what do we do?
American Air Force and Navy would have been in the fight from day one, with a lot more destruction on the Russian side than we’ve seen so far.
Given losses suffered against even lowlier opponents I think the U.S. would see some losses in neutralizing air defenses.
Given the Ukrainian success in containing and forcing back the attack in multiple sectors, I don’t think there would be much wait for a big U.S. buildup on the ground. I think we’d trickle smaller units into the fight to ‘corset’ the Ukrainians and coordinate the fire support to crush the invaders.

I think it is a moot question. Unless you're talking about them joining before 2013, they already had Russian troops in the country by 2014 and they would not have been allowed in (which would have triggered immediate NATO reaction?)

NATO air and sea superiority would have made a huge difference. Grain exports would be flowing. Submarine and naval bombardments would not exist from the Russian side.
No NATO ground troops would be needed.

With all due respect, premise is ridiculous premise. Russia has never directly attacked a member of NATO, so the scenario isn't a valid scenario.

NATO is a defensive alliance and an attack on one is an attack on all. Doubtful with the shape of the current Russian Armed Forces they would have gotten far, Ukrainians would have had full advantage of NATO air cover, within days Russian's are pushed back to border and then the question would be if NATO invades Russia, if regime change in Russia is necessary for successful conclusion to war.

But the thing is again, Putin never attacks if Ukraine is in NATO. The guy obviously would have already rolled over the tiny Baltic states except that they're in NATO.

First step would have been NATO hitting the advancing Russians with cruise missiles and attack aircraft operating out of Poland. NATO aircraft would have flooded the Ukrainian skies and dominated. . There never would have even been a 40 mile long Russian convoy…..it would have never been able to form. The biggest question in my mind is what would have developed in the Black Sea. Ground troops would be sent, but not sure they would be needed with what missiles and AirPower would achieve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT