ADVERTISEMENT

How would you grade Iowa’s transfer portal if no other major additions are made?

How would you grade Iowa’s transfer portal if no other major additions or losses occur?

• A

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • B

Votes: 49 39.2%
  • C

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • D

Votes: 16 12.8%
  • F

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2022
If they were done today, how would you grade their efforts in the transfer portal?

Additions:
Cade McNamara
Erick All
Daikon Parker
Seth Anderson
Deacon Hill

Notable Losses:
Jestin Jacobs
Arland Bruce
Keagan Johnson
Terry Roberts
Carson May
Alex Padilla
Gavin Williams
Dallas Craddieth
Josh Volk

Jacobs and keagan Johnson are a big time loss. Cade was a BIG get… All won’t hurt either.
At this point it comes down to if Parker and Anderson will start and improve the team. If they do I’d say B. Still think Rouse is our biggest loss of the season.
Agree with this assessment. Would have rather had Rouse than Teslaa, Parker looks good on tape so hopefully he seals off one end. Offense will be top 75 next year, all eyes on them!

If there aren’t coaching changes of consequence, I’m not sure how much it will matter.
Two of the podcasts I listen to, Cover 3 and Split Zone Duo, seem to think changes are coming. They both have hosts that are pretty dialed in to the inner workings of CFB and neither are hesitant in their claims.

I don’t know, I still am not going to get excited.

Reactions: EZ2BJZ
Two of the podcasts I listen to, Cover 3 and Split Zone Duo, seem to think changes are coming. They both have hosts that are pretty dialed in to the inner workings of CFB and neither are hesitant in their claims.

I don’t know, I still am not going to get excited.
Leistekow also has indicated changes might be coming. However, Kakert has indicated otherwise, predicting that "Brian will still be here."

So, multiple guys with relatively good sources spinning seemingly contradictory scenarios.

It will be an interesting few weeks.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I’m not as high on Cade as others. Haven’t replaced the talent of Johnson and Jacobs. Oline still needs significant help. If Brian is still running the offense, maybe a slight uptick.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeFakeID
If they were done today, how would you grade their efforts in the transfer portal?

Additions:
Cade McNamara
Erick All
Daikon Parker
Seth Anderson
Deacon Hill

Notable Losses:
Jestin Jacobs
Arland Bruce
Keagan Johnson
Terry Roberts
Carson May
Alex Padilla
Gavin Williams
Dallas Craddieth
Josh Volk
Jacobs, Bruce, and Johnson should all come back so Iowa can win a national championship.........

• Haha
Cade is a home run. All is a home run. So we started at an A but are probably at a D+ or C- now.
I'm sure All is an excellent tight end but I don't think it was a position of need with Lachey and Ostrenga ready to go. With that said I don't rate his pickup that highly. If they picked up a WR or a lineman of his relative caliber, the impact would be much greater IMO. Given what the Hawks really needed, the only difference maker so far would appear to be Cade.

Jacobs, Roberts, and Johnson are all big losses, but cumulatively barely played this season. So we won’t see much difference from this season with them leaving. Bruce leaving sucks a bit, I think we were asking him to do too much and they eventually realized that as his usage dropped later in the season. And losing Gavin sucks for depth at RB, but he wasn’t going to be a primary back anymore looking at the other talent on the roster.

4 of the additions should step in right now and compete for playing time if not be starters assuming they’re healthy.

That to me says we’re losing 2 decent contributors from this season and likely gaining 4 contributors for next year. That is a solid B. An A would have required another OT and another WR that could step on and play next year.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Jacobs and keagan Johnson are a big time loss. Cade was a BIG get… All won’t hurt either.
At this point it comes down to if Parker and Anderson will start and improve the team. If they do I’d say B. Still think Rouse is our biggest loss of the season.
Just don't see how KJ is considered a big time loss, As a freshman he made some plays ,but was widely inconsistent. This past season it would appear that he tanked the season to maintain the years eligibility. Certainly a ME first move. Don't see how thats a loss.......

Just don't see how KJ is considered a big time loss, As a freshman he made some plays ,but was widely inconsistent. This past season it would appear that he tanked the season to maintain the years eligibility. Certainly a ME first move. Don't see how thats a loss.......
Purely on potential.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Potential for sure. Talent. We have no idea what Teslaa or Anderson are going to do next year, but we saw flashes of what KJ could do with Spencer Petras throwing to him, idk what the Kansas state offense will look like, but I bet he will have more opportunities to show us what he’s got compared to what he would have done at iowa last year.
Or
Maybe seth Anderson is twice the WR he is, TBD

Reactions: kceasthawk
Potential for sure. Talent. We have no idea what Teslaa or Anderson are going to do next year, but we saw flashes of what KJ could do with Spencer Petras throwing to him, idk what the Kansas state offense will look like, but I bet he will have more opportunities to show us what he’s got compared to what he would have done at iowa last year.
Or
Maybe seth Anderson is twice the WR he is, TBD
I totally agree, which is why its a stretch at this point to say he's a "big loss". We simply don't know that at this point. It's just being negative, to be negative. Hell if Anderson, and Washington, and maybe one of the frosh light it up, then what are we missing. The guy didn't even suit up last year. What are we losing?

• Haha
I totally agree, which is why its a stretch at this point to say he's a "big loss". We simply don't know that at this point. It's just being negative, to be negative. Hell if Anderson, and Washington, and maybe one of the frosh light it up, then what are we missing. The guy didn't even suit up last year. What are we losing?
It’s was more the combo of him and Jacobs with my “big loss” comment. A big loss in potential.. Jacobs was hurt most of the season as well but I would imagine even the most positive of fans would want him back.
My assessment was based on what we’ve seen and know. We know Jacob’s when healthy is an all big10 type LB, and we know KJ had speed and elusiveness. That combined is a big loss when we are striking out with potential transfers. If those two had stayed that’s two less bodies we needed replaced and I would 100% be fine with both as starters had they stayed. The only guy I know is a starter we got is Cade.
Parker (small school, who knows)
Anderson (Small school, who knows)
All (lachey back-up with health concerns)

If we're comparing to the other big10 west schools it's a D. Wisconsin reloaded at playmakers. Nebraska has landed multiple 4 and 1 5*. Iowa at this point might be the 3rd or 4th best team in the division.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I gave them an A because I thought we were grading only incoming.

Net of losses I'd say a B - if it wasn't for Cade it would be a C or a D

Jacobs, Roberts, KJ - those really hurt.

If we're comparing to the other big10 west schools it's a D. Wisconsin reloaded at playmakers. Nebraska has landed multiple 4 and 1 5*. Iowa at this point might be the 3rd or 4th best team in the division.
Wisconsin’s transfers have been, for lack of a better word, insane. They’re going to be very good next year and look like a totally different team than the run-run-run teams of the past 20 years.

• Haha
We made a major upgrade at the one position we desperately needed QB. We also found we have a more than serviceable backup at QB that the coaches now trust in Labas. Just need our current OL group to come together.

• Haha
Don’t under value our new former Notre Dame / Michigan 4**** commit at QB.

How many times did you almost rip your TV off the wall and throw it in the front yard watching QB7 operating the offense last season?

This is correct!... one could argue is Wisconsin/Nebby have a new coaches so the ports allows them to basically make the team “theirs” faster. Likely not as active next year.
Iowa only needs to fill weaknesses.
If we get One more starter on OL I’d go back to a C. A starting WR and LB(or corner) I’d go B. But Wisco and Nebby have don’t better by a long shot…

Jacobs is the only real loss.

The additions seem solid, any QB will be improvement considering Iowa started the worst QB in CFB that past 3 seasons

Wisconsin’s transfers have been, for lack of a better word, insane. They’re going to be very good next year and look like a totally different team than the run-run-run teams of the past 20 years.
I think first-year coaches have a built-in advantage in portal recruiting. They can really sell the “be a part of something new” angle, along with the notion that there is a willingness to replace the team’s veterans. I think that’s important for portal guys — immediate playing time is the No. 1 priority.

When a team seems “established,” it can be harder to get portal guys.

Im far from convinced Cade is going to be a savior like many on here seem to be. At michigan he had a solid oline, real big ten receivers, a QB coach who has actually delivered results, a Broyles award winning OC, and a HC who understands that offense is about a lot more than just not turning the ball over. He may have none of that at Nepotism U. Put me in the wait and see camp

Now what we need to do is to go to a Spread offense.
Less demanding on our now below average OLine.
Dutch Meyer would approve.

Im far from convinced Cade is going to be a savior like many on here seem to be. At michigan he had a solid oline, real big ten receivers, a QB coach who has actually delivered results, a Broyles award winning OC, and a HC who understands that offense is about a lot more than just not turning the ball over. He may have none of that at Nepotism U. Put me in the wait and see camp
I'm skeptical as well, but you have to believe he'll be a whole lot better than anyone that was already on the roster, and at the most important position on the field by far. That doesn't mean he's a savior because football is a team game. The oline in particular needs to get much better for the offense to make a drastic improvement. Assuming they can make incremental improvements, the offense has to be better. To what degree remains to be seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT