ADVERTISEMENT

Hows the fishin this year?

Ain't got the boat wet once yet this year. Pool 11, the ramps and docks have been operating a grand total of 2 weeks so far since April 1. And of course, once they cleaned up the launch area and actually got things ready for boaters, upriver got a foot of rain in just a few days and the river rose 3 feet as a result.

I waited 3 friggin' months for that damn river to drop. Then the week the river opened up it poured rain the 3 days I was there. And of course now, the ramp in town is goddam closed again, my campground ramp is under water completely, and neither will re-open until this time next week at the earliest.

Goes up fast, drops reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy slow.

Reactions: Fan In Black
The flathead are really biting right now. Have seen a 70lber and several in the 30 - 50 lb range taken out of the Rathbun spillway.

My dad was fishing pool 10 the week before the 4th. Was slaying the Walleye in Mudhen. They had 4-5 in the 23-26” range. Had a Walleye feast on the 4th with the smaller ones they caught.

We still want video of the naked homeless dude with diarrhea.

Reactions: LenCarmichael
Summer steelhead have just started showing up on the Rogue River, and my buddies and I have hooked 4 swinging flies on our spey rods since the 4th. Guiding a half day this AM then gonna do a short float after on my own, so hopefully swing up at least one more today. Early fish like these are some of my favorites as they are chrome bright and try to rip the rod out of your hand when they take the fly

Summer steelhead have just started showing up on the Rogue River, and my buddies and I have hooked 4 swinging flies on our spey rods since the 4th. Guiding a half day this AM then gonna do a short float after on my own, so hopefully swing up at least one more today. Early fish like these are some of my favorites as they are chrome bright and try to rip the rod out of your hand when they take the fly
What type of flies do you use?

What type of flies do you use?

I swing traditional flies like green butt skunks, silver hiltons etc near the surface early in the AM and late in evening (as well as skaters), and then intruder style flies tied on shanks or tubes on sink tips during the day. Hooked one yesterday early afternoon but he popped off 15 seconds into the fight... 0 - 2 to start the year which is strange for me but at least I’m sticking some steel

tenor.gif

Haven’t fished since May due to this silly knee injury. Thinking about going out this weekend though now that I’m off crutches.

Not what you are looking for, but here north of Atlanta I found a business park with a nice pond behind it where the bass fishing is nice on Saturday mornings.

I'm just a crappy shore fisherman who isn't actually any good at all, and I've caught four bass each of the last two Saturday mornings. For me, that's pretty damn good. I can only imagine what a good fisherman would do. Hell, I probably lost nearly that many again off the hook.

It's been great fun, and I'm going to go as often as I can.

I swing traditional flies like green butt skunks, silver hiltons etc near the surface early in the AM and late in evening (as well as skaters), and then intruder style flies tied on shanks or tubes on sink tips during the day. Hooked one yesterday early afternoon but he popped off 15 seconds into the fight... 0 - 2 to start the year which is strange for me but at least I’m sticking some steel
We have steelhead in the Lake Michigan tribs that I have chased a few times with regular gear (never caught one) but want to try on the fly. I am a very beginner when it comes to fly fishing so I am sure I will suck when trying to fight one

Bass fishing off of a pontoon? Did you trailer it there with your tan minivan too? :)
I will have you know it is a 22-foot Sun Catcher "fish 'n cruise" hybrid designed for serious fishing AND recreating. I have a livewell, a baitwell, a GPS-enabled hand-held remote controlled trolling motor and a very nice depth finder. It's a fish slayin' machine, my man!

And I got it all for the low, low price of $1. :)

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Catfishing wasn't great this spring. I have had a ton of luck with walleye in the spillway at Spirit Lake and big bass everywhere. Was 4 days in to an 8 day camping trip, slaying fish, when I broke my foot and have been laid up since.

I will have you know it is a 22-foot Sun Catcher "fish 'n cruise" hybrid designed for serious fishing AND recreating. I have a livewell, a baitwell, a GPS-enabled hand-held remote controlled trolling motor and a very nice depth finder. It's a fish slayin' machine, my man!

And I got it all for the low, low price of $1. :)
I'll buy it from you for $2. Thats some great profit margin

I'll buy it from you for $2. Thats some great profit margin

Well I got the great deal because my mom and dad decided they were getting too old to maintain a boat and properly take care of it (the six hours I spent removing mildew from virtually every surface because dad couldn't get the cover on it while it sat next to the Mississippi River all last season attest to that! ;))

I thought having a pontoon instead of my old Crestliner fishing boat would be a tough adjustment, but I have to say, pontoon fishing has been way better than I expected. That SOB can get into some really shallow spots and actually holds over spots with the trolling motor better than I'd anticipated.

We have steelhead in the Lake Michigan tribs that I have chased a few times with regular gear (never caught one) but want to try on the fly. I am a very beginner when it comes to fly fishing so I am sure I will suck when trying to fight one

Nymphing is the most productive way to fly fish those Great Lakes tributaries, as the water is generally cold when steelhead are around so the fish aren't as willing to chase the swung fly. Stoneflies with egg patterns below will be your best bet. If you do swing you'll need sink tips and bigger flies to get deep enough to get them to grab, as they are really tough to get to come to the surface unless you get a good early run in October when the water will still be close to 50 degrees.

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
Nymphing is the most productive way to fly fish those Great Lakes tributaries, as the water is generally cold when steelhead are around so the fish aren't as willing to chase the swung fly. Stoneflies with egg patterns below will be your best bet. If you do swing you'll need sink tips and bigger flies to get deep enough to get them to grab, as they are really tough to get to come to the surface unless you get a good early run in October when the water will still be close to 50 degrees.
OP's mom has been nymphing for years. She's caught a lot..............of STDs!

My dad was fishing pool 10 the week before the 4th. Was slaying the Walleye in Mudhen. They had 4-5 in the 23-26” range. Had a Walleye feast on the 4th with the smaller ones they caught.

This is what I want to hear. And typical what I've heard my entire life comparing walleyes in pools above lock and dam 10 versus below.

Pool 11 can be a decent walleye pool, but in normal flow years it gets crushed with fishing pressure, therefore sizes tends to be smaller than farther north.

One would have to believe with all the high water, pressure has been nearly nil so far compared to normal years. The one time I got out last year (early June), largemouth were plentiful with size.

I'm hoping we don't get early fall monsoons like the last...oh 5 years to where I can get some prime walleye action for a change.

Not what you are looking for, but here north of Atlanta I found a business park with a nice pond behind it where the bass fishing is nice on Saturday mornings.

I'm just a crappy shore fisherman who isn't actually any good at all, and I've caught four bass each of the last two Saturday mornings. For me, that's pretty damn good. I can only imagine what a good fisherman would do. Hell, I probably lost nearly that many again off the hook.

It's been great fun, and I'm going to go as often as I can.
Exactly what Im looking for dude. I like all types of fishing. Hell, I fish our creeks just to see what's in there.

Trying Blackhawk lake in lake view tonight for some catfish. Didn't have any luck here this morning but we had storms coming through.

Anyone fished this lake before?

Trying Blackhawk lake in lake view tonight for some catfish. Didn't have any luck here this morning but we had storms coming through.

Anyone fished this lake before?

There are walleye in the lake and there are some nice ones taken sporadically. I personally don't know anyone who has been able to consistently pick up eyes there.

Years ago dad took us "mini catfishing" (bullheads) there. Unfortunately at that time Blackhawk was good for bullheads.

There are walleye in the lake and there are some nice ones taken sporadically. I personally don't know anyone who has been able to consistently pick up eyes there.

Years ago dad took us "mini catfishing" (bullheads) there. Unfortunately at that time Blackhawk was good for bullheads.

Yeah that was before the renovation. I think the carp are coming back because the weeds aren't very bad this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT