ADVERTISEMENT

HR get-together in Cleveland

Mendoza77

HR MVP
Jan 31, 2015
I posted this in another thread but decided to repeat it. Some of us cesspoolians had a great time last year in St. Louis, meeting between sessions to eat, drink and talk about the tournament. We're going to try the same thing this year.

I looked for restaurants close to the arena and found two possibilities - Vincenza's, a pizza/pasta place (closes at 6:30 so only available for lunch) and the Winking Lizard Tavern. Both appear to have good food, and the Lizard has great variety of beer. Both are just a few blocks from the arena. Andegre (WrestleStat guy) is going to check them out today.

The plan is to meet at Vincenza's (603 Prospect Ave.) on Thursday after the morning session, for lunch. The Winking Lizard (811 Huron Rd.) will be the place to meet on Thursday after the evening session. Stop by either place and wander around to find us, or text me at 303-202-2636 to coordinate. I'll post on here any updates or changes.

I posted this in another thread but decided to repeat it. Some of us cesspoolians had a great time last year in St. Louis, meeting between sessions to eat, drink and talk about the tournament. We're going to try the same thing this year.

I looked for restaurants close to the arena and found two possibilities - Vincenza's, a pizza/pasta place (closes at 6:30 so only available for lunch) and the Winking Lizard Tavern. Both appear to have good food, and the Lizard has great variety of beer. Both are just a few blocks from the arena. Andegre (WrestleStat guy) is going to check them out today.

The plan is to meet at Vincenza's (603 Prospect Ave.) on Thursday after the morning session, for lunch. The Winking Lizard (811 Huron Rd.) will be the place to meet on Thursday after the evening session. Stop by either place and wander around to find us, or text me at 303-202-2636 to coordinate. I'll post on here any updates or changes.
En route, caravanning with 3 hawk fans in a white Dodge Charger. Will post the 411 on both places tonight.

I've heard Greenhouse Tavern is very good. I believe on 4th street. Five minutes from arena.

En route, caravanning with 3 hawk fans in a white Dodge Charger. Will post the 411 on both places tonight.

How much is the speeding ticket you guys got in Ohio?
Ha, did you see me get pulled over? Mine was 150.

Anyway, because of the ticket, and this dumbass not realizing it’s eastern time zone, I didn’t make it to Vimncenzos on time to check it out.

I did get a chance to stop in BOTH winking lizard places. I think the older one would work better because it has a few smaller rooms, and quieter, similar to the place last year. The new one on east 9th is bigger, but it was JAM packed, and loud.

I don’t remember which one Mendoza said, but my vote would be for the Huron st? Location as long as it’s not too packed.

Reactions: Mendoza77
Ha, did you see me get pulled over? Mine was 150.

Anyway, because of the ticket, and this dumbass not realizing it’s eastern time zone, I didn’t make it to Vimncenzos on time to check it out.

I did get a chance to stop in BOTH winking lizard places. I think the older one would work better because it has a few smaller rooms, and quieter, similar to the place last year. The new one on east 9th is bigger, but it was JAM packed, and loud.

I don’t remember which one Mendoza said, but my vote would be for the Huron st? Location as long as it’s not too packed.

Thanks Speedy! :p Yeah, the Winking Lizard on Huron Rd. is the one just a few blocks from the arena, so let's meet there tonight after session 2.

For a late lunch, I'm confident that Vincenza's, the pizza place at 603 Prospect (also just a few blocks from arena) will be a good place for food and hanging out (crazy they're starting session 1 at NOON this year! And semis tomorrow will be at 8 pm!). So....today after session 1 at Vincenza's will be the Cesspool Pizza Party! See you there.

Reactions: andegre
Sorry I missed you guys. My b-i-l wanted to find the Memorabilia Show, because he thought the Pizza place would be too crowded being that close to the arena (we had checked out the locations Wednesday). We went there and then went back to the pizza place and ate, but didn't see too many Hawk fans in there then. Ate there again Friday because there wasn't much of a line. Hope you guys had fun. I'll find a way to meet some of you guys one of these days.

I was busy as heck..pulled in a lot of directions, but was able to stop by at Pizza place for a few mins and meet Mendoza for first time.o just gotta keep putting faces to screen names !

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I was busy as heck..pulled in a lot of directions, but was able to stop by at Pizza place for a few mins and meet Mendoza for first time.o just gotta keep putting faces to screen names !
Mendoza's a cool cat -- and a serious humanitarian. Like almost Mother Theresa level. Basically saving the poor in Argentina. Guy is a saint. Proud to call him a Hawkeye!

So at the last Cesspool gathering in St. Louis. Mendozza, IAChief32, LaxHawk and a few others are sitting around and letting andegre of Wrestlestat Fame buy us beers.

A family walks in and takes up seats at a table behind us and andegre leans forward and whispers about the kid that just sat down behind him being a really, really good High school wrestler.

I kinda look over and the kid looks a bit Italian maybe. I dunno. Doesn't look real big. Yeah whatever andegre.

andegre had been satiating his thirst for awhile...........so whatever you say...........yeah OK. Kids good. Yea. OK... fine.

No... don't go ask for his autograph.
4fvgdaq_th.gif

Go buy us some more beer. Make yourself useful. Keep us happy and leave the kid alone.

I think that kid is the New 141 NCAA Champ from Cornell. Yianni alphabet. Not sure on his last name spelling I guess.

So you really shouldn't miss our Cesspool meetings. And andegre is really good about buying the beer.
alcoholic.gif

"Yianni Alphabet". That's come classic stuff, there, Kwood!

That classic stuff comes from a Special Forces Sergeant back just under a half century ago.

I was in the Military back in 1968-1971. Wisconsin kid in my outfit was named Randy Vandenlangenberg.

Had 5:00 AM roll call once a month on payday where they called your name alphabetically.

One time the Sergeant got to Randy's name and went silent. After awhile Randy finally said "present" and the guy kept doing the roll call.

Another time the Sergeant doing it just said "Alphabet". Randy said "present" and they moved on to finish roll call.

I stood right next to Randy so I remembered I guess.

Last edited:
So at the last Cesspool gathering in St. Louis. Mendozza, IAChief32, LaxHawk and a few others are sitting around and letting andegre of Wrestlestat Fame buy us beers.

A family walks in and takes up seats at a table behind us and andegre leans forward and whispers about the kid that just sat down behind him being a really, really good High school wrestler.

I kinda look over and the kid looks a bit Italian maybe. I dunno. Doesn't look real big. Yeah whatever andegre.

andegre had been satiating his thirst for awhile...........so whatever you say...........yeah OK. Kids good. Yea. OK... fine.

No... don't go ask for his autograph.
4fvgdaq_th.gif

Go buy us some more beer. Make yourself useful. Keep us happy and leave the kid alone.

I think that kid is the New 141 NCAA Champ from Cornell. Yianni alphabet. Not sure on his last name spelling I guess.

So you really shouldn't miss our Cesspool meetings. And andegre is really good about buying the beer.
alcoholic.gif

I was sitting right there, and that's basically how it happened (Kwood just wanted more beer, that's all!). When I noticed the kid's mangled ears I said to Lax "whoever that kid is must be a pretty good wrestler" and Lax simply said "that's Yianni D."

Mendoza's a cool cat -- and a serious humanitarian. Like almost Mother Theresa level. Basically saving the poor in Argentina. Guy is a saint. Proud to call him a Hawkeye!

Whoa, slow down there WWDM. Thanks for the words, but makes me blush, and only partly true. I'm not a Saint (that's Val Kilmer) and not worthy to be compared in any way/shape/form to Mother Teresa! Many people help where they can:
Jim Brown (GG121and2, founder of Wrestling for Life)
Chris Haupert (WWDM, the force, along with others, behind Des Moines area efforts to help HWC and the Hawks)
Randy Novak (the incomparable, dedicated head guru of HWC)
Bob Nicoll (humble and generous benefactor extraordinaire)
and so many others. We all should think about (and then act upon) how we can make a difference in other people's lives! Thanks to you all!

Whoa, slow down there WWDM. Thanks for the words, but makes me blush, and only partly true. I'm not a Saint (that's Val Kilmer) and not worthy to be compared in any way/shape/form to Mother Teresa! Many people help where they can:
Jim Brown (GG121and2, founder of Wrestling for Life)
Chris Haupert (WWDM, the force, along with others, behind Des Moines area efforts to help HWC and the Hawks)
Randy Novak (the incomparable, dedicated head guru of HWC)
Bob Nicoll (humble and generous benefactor extraordinaire)
and so many others. We all should think about (and then act upon) how we can make a difference in other people's lives! Thanks to you all!
You’re too kind and humble, Mendoza, but the fact is that you do some incredible mission work to serve poor kids in South America, and Hawk fans should know about it. We have some exceptional people among our ranks who can make us all proud to be Hawkeyes. Whether you like it or not, Mendoza, you’re one of them!

You’re too kind and humble, Mendoza, but the fact is that you do some incredible mission work to serve poor kids in South America, and Hawk fans should know about it. We have some exceptional people among our ranks who can make us all proud to be Hawkeyes. Whether you like it or not, Mendoza, you’re one of them!

What I am is a direct result of a solid upbringing in small-town Iowa, the ethics and values instilled by my parents, teachers, coaches, church....AND WRESTLING!! Wrestling played a big role in my life, as it has in millions of others throughout the years. I feel so blessed to have been raised in rural Iowa, and am a committed fan of Hawkeye wrestling because they (the wrestlers and coaches) exhibit so much of what's good about the blue collar work ethic. Thank you Hawkeye wrestlers, coaches, and fans!!

What I am is a direct result of a solid upbringing in small-town Iowa, the ethics and values instilled by my parents, teachers, coaches, church....AND WRESTLING!! Wrestling played a big role in my life, as it has in millions of others throughout the years. I feel so blessed to have been raised in rural Iowa, and am a committed fan of Hawkeye wrestling because they (the wrestlers and coaches) exhibit so much of what's good about the blue collar work ethic. Thank you Hawkeye wrestlers, coaches, and fans!!
Very well said, my friend. Can’t argue with that!

ADVERTISEMENT