ADVERTISEMENT

HROT financial experts

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
It's been really interesting talking to folks about what they're thinking on the financial strategy front in this environment so a simple hypothetical for HORT: if you found $50k on the street, what you do with it, besides OP's mom and blow?

It's been really interesting talking to folks about what they're thinking on the financial strategy front in this environment so a simple hypothetical for HORT: if you found $50k on the street, what you do with it, besides OP's mom and blow?
You should be all in on frozen concentrated orange juice. I have a feeling the crop report is going to be very bad (wink emoji).

Dollar cost average monthly into the S&P 500. Probably 1K a month.

Reactions: noleclone2
With real estate likely returning back to earth and stocks still too influx to say we are at the bottom, I would hold on to it as cash for sometime until after the election and then begin investing in a few diverse stock type mutual funds monthly going for dollar cost average investment like @Bonerfarts suggested. I would also keep in a safe and make small deposits so the IRS has no idea of my windfall.

Reactions: funksouljon
Buy $10k worth of ibonds

Dollar cost average the rest into Apple stock over a few months. Apple makes shit every man woman and child on the planet wants. They accept no substitutes and will pay a premium. No other company can say that. When the market rebounds, Apple will be right out front.

With real estate likely returning back to earth and stocks still too influx to say we are at the bottom, I would hold on to it as cash for sometime until after the election and then begin investing in a few diverse stock type mutual funds monthly going for dollar cost average investment like @Bonerfarts suggested. I would also keep in a safe and make small deposits so the IRS has no idea of my windfall.

REPORTED

I see period of slow growth, possibly minimal gains in the stock market (maybe 4-5% annualize). Even after the financial crisis in 2008 things really didn't start to get demonstrable better until after 2011. There is still a lot of froth in the market. As a long term strategy, right wrong or in different I will be putting 20-25% of my funds in crypto. I think crypto's are getting close to a bottom. Historically runs on 4 year rotations, and then comes up in November. It may have one more down cycle left in it, but these are likely good prices to get in on. Otherwise hard assets will also be good, stock side there are some stocks now with decent valuations but just not sure how it will do over the long haul. Otherwise just put in a fund and leave it.

Reactions: Ree4
I always find these threads interesting as people just throw out suggestions but there isn't ever follow up on how the recommendations went. What do you expect from randoms on the internet tho....

OP, start up a investing simulator and let folks join to compete. Course this would require people to be real and not bots/troll accounts.

If you're going to turn it in why would you be paying any taxes on it?,... derp.

superman-missed-the-joke.gif

Reactions: dgordo

Plenty of actual experts are making money and plenty are losing in this dip/downturn/slide to a new bottom.

Wonder how much is actual knowledge vs luck.

I'd just invest in plastics.

Hard assets should start becoming cheaper as people accept reality that they're not as wealthy as they thought they were when they started buying $600k starter homes and $80k SUV's during the pandemic. They'll sell everything they have before they can't afford that mortgage or car payment.

Plenty of actual experts are making money and plenty are losing in this dip/downturn/slide to a new bottom.

Wonder how much is actual knowledge vs luck.

I'd just invest in plastics.
It can be done ... even in a down market.

Well there would be no tax since it isn't income. So, I guess you could say paying 0 tax would be the same as not paying tax.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

From IRS Pub. 525:
Found property.
If you find and keep property that doesn't belong to you that has been lost or abandoned (treasure trove), it's taxable to you at its FMV in the first year it's your undisputed possession.

ADVERTISEMENT