ADVERTISEMENT

Huckabee: Ruling 'out-of-control act of judicial tyranny'

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
LEON, Iowa — Mike Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and current Republican presidential candidate, called the Supreme Court's decision Thursday to protect the Affordable Care Act "an out-of-control act of judicial tyranny."

[Affordable Care Act survives Supreme Court challenge]

"Our Founding Fathers didn't create a 'do-over' provision in our Constitution that allows unelected Supreme Court justices the power to circumvent Congress and rewrite bad laws," Huckabee said in a statement provided to The Washington Post.

"The Supreme Court cannot legislate from the bench, ignore the Constitution, and pass a multi-trillion dollar 'fix' to ObamaCare simply because Congress misread what the states would actually do," his statement continued. "The architects and authors of ObamaCare were intentional in the way they wrote the law. The courts have no constitutional authority to rescue Congress from creating bad law. The solution is for Congress to admit they screwed up, repeal the 'nightmare of Obamacare,' and let states road-test real health care reforms."

[Read the Supreme Court opinion on the Affordable Care Act]

Huckabee, who is campaigning throughout rural south-central Iowa all day Thursday, pulled over at a gas station to review the court's King v. Burwell ruling.

Huckabee said in his statement that the Affordable Care Act has been a "Washington disaster" that's resulted in families "getting punched in the gut with outrageous insurance premiums and infuriating hospital bills."

"As President, I will protect Medicare, repeal ObamaCare, and pass real reform that will actually lower costs, while focusing on cures and prevention rather than intervention," Huckabee said. "The status quo is unfair, unaffordable, unsustainable and completely un-American."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=3ed0557e-feed-4f27-986e-b7c60e356c3d&hpid=z2

He's right, but it's a great opportunity for the GOP to campaign against it further.

If the SCOTUS had ruled otherwise, then the GOP congress would've been in the uncomfortable position of having to fight off calls to provide more funding.

If I could go back in time and change the wording of the bill to include all states I would.

Even though I am not an ACA fan. Just to avoid the need for this ruling.

This precedent of "implied meaning" is going to be used for all sorts of evils in the future.

This is right next to the Citizens United ruling, in terms of damage to the Republic and the Legislative process.

That kind of rhetoric sells really well in Leon, Iowa. In places where people live it gets muddy fast. People love the things in the law that make their lives better. I usually describe someone like Huckabee as a 22 percenter. Meaning either left or right, they appeal only to the extreme wings of American politics. I may slide Huckabee down to 11 percent. I have no idea why he's running except to gain a platform, and to sell books. He can't possibly win the primary.

ADVERTISEMENT