ADVERTISEMENT

Hulu Live vs. Youtube TV

sultanofsuede

HR Heisman
Nov 30, 2004
anyone here tried both?

we are yttv users and have been happy with it, however, they've been raising prices (i think the same price as hulu now), i've noticed we don't get any of the regional sports channels that we used to, and they don't carry marquee. just curious if there are any other benefits to hulu that would tip the scale.

i saw that there is a free trial on hulu, so i might just sign it up so i can see the cubs tonight, see how we like it. but figured it would be good to hear some other input.

thanks

Hulu has a weirder interface, but the good thing about Hulu is the VOD library and originals that you don't get with YTTV. In addition to all the content that is considered regular Hulu, when you sign up for their TV service, you get a massive amount more on demand. Basically, almost everything is on demand.

However, I don't know if they include a DVR in their regular service, and if it does, it's crappy and I don't think it let's you fast forward. If you're a big DVR person, Hulu is not great.

Reactions: noleclone2
I'm YTTV simply because I don't believe Hulu still has MLB Network, NBA TV or any way to do an add-on for NBA League Pass. I'll have to look into Hulu's regional sports networks to know more about what they offer.

I have YTTV and I get the regional sports channels. When YTTV renewed their contract with Sinclair to carry the regional Fox Sports networks they only picked up 19 of the 21 networks. They dropped YES, Fox Sports West, and Prime Ticket. So perhaps you live in one of those areas.

I was mildly annoyed when YTTV raised their rate from 50 to 65, but at least it was because they added 8 new channels. And since Paramount was one of them, I get to watch Yellowstone.

I’ve never had Hulu Live but I’m pretty happy so far with YTTV. I really like their unlimited cloud DVR storage.

I just put YTTV on freeze. Back to cable. My bill WITH internet will be $50/month for the next year.

Reactions: Gimmered
I have YTTV and I get the regional sports channels. When YTTV renewed their contract with Sinclair to carry the regional Fox Sports networks they only picked up 19 of the 21 networks. They dropped YES, Fox Sports West, and Prime Ticket. So perhaps you live in one of those areas.

I was mildly annoyed when YTTV raised their rate from 50 to 65, but at least it was because they added 8 new channels. And since Paramount was one of them, I get to watch Yellowstone.

I’ve never had Hulu Live but I’m pretty happy so far with YTTV. I really like their unlimited cloud DVR storage.

Do you live in Iowa? I used to get the regional channels to watch the Pacers, Bucks, Twolves, etc. games but no longer have those channels.

Do you live in Iowa? I used to get the regional channels to watch the Pacers, Bucks, Twolves, etc. games but no longer have those channels.
I’m in Cincinnati. We get Fox Sports Ohio and Fox Sports Ohio Plus.

I switched to Hulu from youtube TV after being unable to watch a FSU basketball game that Hulu carried. One of the perks of these contract free providers is you can cancel and be on a new one in 5 minutes.

I’m in Cincinnati. We get Fox Sports Ohio and Fox Sports Ohio Plus.

Ah ok. Yeah I realize I probably had it better than most at the beginning with all of the regional channel options, but now I'm just stuck with NBC Sports Chicago. Which is pretty much worthless now with the Cubs moving to Marquee, and f*ck the Bulls!

Tried both and prefer YouTube TV. I wasn't able to get AMC for the Walking Dead on Hulu and the interface isn't as friendly as YouTube's. Also, Youtube has unlimited DVR and I can share it with up to 5 family members.

I'm also staying with YTTV for now, though if there's another price hike I'll start to reconsider. I at least appreciated that the price hike was due at least in part to adding channels and not simply a money grab. I experimented with Hulu TV, and it was okay. I think my major drawback with it was that they had two levels of DVR storage, where YTTV has unlimited, albeit for 9 months. I'm fine with that b/c if I haven't watched it after 9 months I'm probably not going to watch it anyways, and often enough, lots of those movies are on periodically, and each time it airs that 9 month clock restarts.

I haven't paid any attention to those, as I'm a Chicago sports fan. This season will be frustrating for the Cubs, with their Marquee Network debuting and YTTV doesn't have it yet. I'm hopeful it will eventually though.

We had Hulu and didnt mind it but for some reason the app messed up our Samsung tv. The tv would randomly kick out of the app and go to something else. For shits and giggles we did a week free on YTTV and didnt have that issue so we dropped Hulu for YTTV. Never had any issues since. In the end, I think youtube is a little more user friendly.

Just switched to Hulu from Youtube. Youtube lost their damn minds, going up $15 for adding channels very few people wanted. I started my journey with Sling, but they were tardy adding the ACC Network, and didn't have local channels. I live in a fringe area and can't get the local FOX affiliate over the air.

I have YTTV and love it. However, I am letting it expire at the end of the month because of the price hike. Will either go Hulu Live or IPTV.

I have YTTV and love it. However, I am letting it expire at the end of the month because of the price hike. Will either go Hulu Live or IPTV.
I believe Sling now offers a free antennae with new subscribers that allows you to get local channels and actually integrate them into your channel selections.

Hulu has a weirder interface, but the good thing about Hulu is the VOD library and originals that you don't get with YTTV. In addition to all the content that is considered regular Hulu, when you sign up for their TV service, you get a massive amount more on demand. Basically, almost everything is on demand.

However, I don't know if they include a DVR in their regular service, and if it does, it's crappy and I don't think it let's you fast forward. If you're a big DVR person, Hulu is not great.
I am starting to lean towards building a media server for my house and using Plex Plus to run it. You get DVR and a really nice interface with that for $4.99 a month. So you get an intenna, pull all of your local channels off the airwaves and run them through Plex and a NAS. IMHO, this is all moving towards an ala carte system anyhow. Plus, Plex just announced that they are supporting a 80 channel international free service.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/23/p...er-80-free-channels-most-available-worldwide/

Add to that Kodi, Amazon Prime and Netflix. There are a few other things that you can do within Kodi that are pretty sketchy. But buy a VPN and you should be OK. $30 or less a month and you have tons of content.

Troypoint.com and the Reddit Addons4Kodi will fill you in on quite a bit.

Last edited:

Unless you only want a barebones DVR and no ability to FF through shows, Hulu Live is the same 65 bucks that YTTV is. Now if the sports network thing is a dealbreaker that's different, I decided that watching the little bit of baseball(that's goofy to watch now anyway) this season isn't a big enough negative as opposed to everything I like otherwise on YTTV.

Here's the deal with the regional sports networks and YTTV. The Fox Sports channels - you have to live in the actual RSN market to receive them now.

So, if you live for example in the St. Louis market for local television, you'll still get FSMW. FSMW used to have a wide ranging area into Illinois, Missouri and Iowa for St. Louis - and Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska for FSMW-KC.

Not any more. And it is that way nationwide with all Fox Sports RSN's. That's why Iowa lost them all when YTTV and Sinclair settled in late February.

We lost 4 RSN's in that settlement. And fair warning - don't be surprised that occurs when carriage agreements come up in the future with other providers.

Unless you only want a barebones DVR and no ability to FF through shows, Hulu Live is the same 65 bucks that YTTV is. Now if the sports network thing is a dealbreaker that's different, I decided that watching the little bit of baseball(that's goofy to watch now anyway) this season isn't a big enough negative as opposed to everything I like otherwise on YTTV.
Not true. Hulu Live is $54.99.

I believe Sling now offers a free antennae with new subscribers that allows you to get local channels and actually integrate them into your channel selections.
I have an outdoor antenna that I put up 2 years ago. Also have a Channel Master dvr to record.

Sling doesn’t offer the Big Ten Network, so it isn’t an option.

Reactions: Gimmered
anyone here tried both?

we are yttv users and have been happy with it, however, they've been raising prices (i think the same price as hulu now), i've noticed we don't get any of the regional sports channels that we used to, and they don't carry marquee. just curious if there are any other benefits to hulu that would tip the scale.

i saw that there is a free trial on hulu, so i might just sign it up so i can see the cubs tonight, see how we like it. but figured it would be good to hear some other input.

thanks

I have YouTube TV. Looks at the available channels for both. Hulu has most of the decent channels YouTube has, but not all of them. Hulu is $10 less a month after YTTV raised their rare. I’ll stick with YouTube for now

Not true. Hulu Live is $54.99.

Like I said, if you’re cool with the base DVR that has a 50 hour max and no ability to skip commercials, have at it. Another 10 bucks will get you a DVR that has 200 hr max and skipping ability. So, for many people, true.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I've tried both and yttv is far superior and cheaper when you add the add'l 200 DVR hours on Hulu, which still doesn't match yttv's unlimited DVR.

Like I said, if you’re cool with the base DVR that has a 50 hour max and no ability to skip commercials, have at it. Another 10 bucks will get you a DVR that has 200 hr max and skipping ability. So, for many people, true.
Talking base price, here. You can play the add on game all you want to make either one more expensive than the other.

I’m doing the HULU free trial tonight to get the cubs games. If I like it, I’ll switch until baseball is done. Also, getting some of the FSN channels back will be nice for baseball season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT