ADVERTISEMENT

Humility of Kirk Ferentz In Press Conference

LuteHawk

HR Legend
Nov 30, 2011
Coach Ferentz acknowledges the leadership of his
players in the press conference after the win over
Minnesota. However, he deflects taking any credit
for them. Instead, Ferentz credits their parents.

When talking about Nate Stanley and A.J. Epenesa
and their role as leaders, he mentions their parents.
He said both of those players had a dad and mom
who taught them mental toughness and physical
toughness in their youth.

Bottom Line: It is refreshing for a coach to give some
credit where credit is due.

When it comes to teaching the game of
life itself, then you would want your son
to be coached by Kirk Ferentz
Agreed. While he can frustrate you with his Philosophy and Time Management, no one can question his character and leadership. KF does not receive enough credit from the national media for the way he runs the Iowa FB Program. You just hope more talented recruits and their parents really take notice.

That's because he's classier than a lot of coaches

@arizonahawkl....When Lute Olson was at
Arizona recruiting Sean Elliott, his mother
said to him, "I want you to play basketball
with Lute Olson as your coach"

Reactions: Eternal Return
Agreed. While he can frustrate you with his Philosophy and Time Management, no one can question his character and leadership. KF does not receive enough credit from the national media for the way he runs the Iowa FB Program. You just hope more talented recruits and their parents really take notice.
Actually, its the one thing he gets a great deal of respect on a national basis for, and rightfully so. Can't count the number of times I've heard someone on a national broadcast talking about his qualities as a leader of young men. Kind of interesting yesterday to hear the announcers talk about how Fleck, like Kill before him wanted to model his program after Iowa, and the level of ongoing consistency under KF. Beneath his look at me exterior, it obvious that Fleck has some solid traits as well.

Actually, its the one thing he gets a great deal of respect on a national basis for, and rightfully so. Can't count the number of times I've heard someone on a national broadcast talking about his qualities as a leader of young men. Kind of interesting yesterday to hear the announcers talk about how Fleck, like Kill before him wanted to model his program after Iowa, and the level of ongoing consistency under KF. Beneath his look at me exterior, it obvious that Fleck has some solid traits as well.
IMHO, Fleck and Ferentz are pretty much polar opposites.

That’s good stuff. I love it. It also sends a real strong message to all parents. I also liked the 100 ya walk that BTN did with him. He had a great spin on paying players tied to graduation. I think he would be a sound mind to have as a part of NCAA initiatives like this.

What makes Coach Ferentz humble is that
he gives credit to the players for the wins.
Some coaches will tell you how brilliant they
were to plan a winning game plan.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
The comparison between Coach Fleck
and Coach Ferentz demonstrates a
huge gap between humility and pride.

Fleck is an egomaniac who wants the
TV cameras on him. Ferentz is a humble
gum-chewing coach who walks the sidelines

Strange - but KF's personality, integrity and character always seem to take a huge beating after a loss. His motives and work-ethic are constantly pummeled.

Which is ridiculous. As a man, he is about as good as it gets. That doesn't change whether the result is a win or a loss.

The Iowa Hawkeye fan base is diverse.

You have bandwagon fans who only like
the Hawks when they win.

You have the life-time fans who love the
Hawks whether they win or lose.

You have sour grapes fans who live to moan
and groan after every Hawk loss.

Kirk James Ferentz is an American football coach.
He is the head football coach at the University of Iowa, a position he has held since the 1999 season.
From 1990 to 1992, Ferentz was the head football coach at the University of Maine
He is married to Mary Ferentz

Kirk Ferentz continues to build a legacy
of a first class coach. He will leave some
day with the most wins in Iowa football
history and he did the right way. No
scandals or probation by the NCAA.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I was told in another thread that in his press conference after wisky: he looked like he had a stroke or a medical condition and he was ready to go to the hospital and retire

The comparison between Coach Fleck
and Coach Ferentz demonstrates a
huge gap between generations

Fleck is an egomaniac who wants the
TV cameras on him. Ferentz is a humble
gum-chewing coach who walks the sidelines
FIFY
I'm part of Flecks generation....:(

Strange - but KF's personality, integrity and character always seem to take a huge beating after a loss. His motives and work-ethic are constantly pummeled.

Which is ridiculous. As a man, he is about as good as it gets. That doesn't change whether the result is a win or a loss.
we were being told last week he needs to hang it up and he was having medical problems and he was confused

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Ferentz locker room speech to his players showed what a class act he is. He praised his players and did not try to imitate that buffoon
Roy Williams the North Carolina basketball coach by dancing with his players. Can see why his players give maximum effort

I was told in another thread that in his press conference after wisky: he looked like he had a stroke or a medical condition and he was ready to go to the hospital and retire
Its hard for some people to understand or believe I guess, that he takes these losses very hard, like he let the players and staff down personally. How many times have we seen him to the point of tears after a big win? I find it baffling when some folks say he's not invested. Seriously? Are they blind?....

Its hard for some people to understand or believe I guess, that he takes these losses very hard, like he let the players and staff down personally. How many times have we seen him to the point of tears after a big win? I find it baffling when some folks say he's not invested. Seriously? Are they blind?....
You mean he really doesn't say "well the game is close enough, who cares how it ends". That must be true because I read it here!! :D

IMHO, Fleck and Ferentz are pretty much polar opposites.

Personality wise, yes, but Fleck seems to really care about his players and they seem to really respond to him. His rah-rah style is grating, but from all accounts from coaches who have had him on staff and players he coaches, he is a good leader and mentor. I love to hate on Minny, but I give credit where it's due and he seems to have his heart in the right place. We'll see what he's like over time, but so far it's hard to knock him because Minnesota players were constantly in legal and other trouble under previous coaches. He's changed the culture for the better and the results on the field reflect that. The way his players talk about him reflects their respect for him. I think he holds them to high standards and they respond. Different personalities and coaching styles can work with players as long as there is a core culture that promotes doing things the right way.

Can't believe I'm defending Fleck and Minnesota.

EDIT: Scott Frost, on the other hand, I would never let a kid go to Nebraska with him as the coach. he's a horrible role model and throws his players under the bus constantly while giving breaks to guys who have serious off-field problems and poor character. He's an asshole along the lines of Steve Alford.

Coach KF is ELITE when it comes to teaching young boys to be men and there is no getting around that. He could use some help on the offensive side of the ball though...

Reactions: 24 so far
Kirk’s leadership, demeanor and family orientation with the players and coaches is one of the greatest assets of Iowa football.

the whole coaching staff for that matter. Chris Doyle is a huge part of teaching these young men the skills they need to excel at life.
I’ve had a few interactions with Coach Doyle; what an impressive individual! The guy’s moral compass is always pointing in the right direction, and it’s clear that he is 100% devoted to helping people grow physically, mentally and emotionally.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Personality wise, yes, but Fleck seems to really care about his players and they seem to really respond to him. His rah-rah style is grating, but from all accounts from coaches who have had him on staff and players he coaches, he is a good leader and mentor. I love to hate on Minny, but I give credit where it's due and he seems to have his heart in the right place. We'll see what he's like over time, but so far it's hard to knock him because Minnesota players were constantly in legal and other trouble under previous coaches. He's changed the culture for the better and the results on the field reflect that. The way his players talk about him reflects their respect for him. I think he holds them to high standards and they respond. Different personalities and coaching styles can work with players as long as there is a core culture that promotes doing things the right way.

Can't believe I'm defending Fleck and Minnesota.

EDIT: Scott Frost, on the other hand, I would never let a kid go to Nebraska with him as the coach. he's a horrible role model and throws his players under the bus constantly while giving breaks to guys who have serious off-field problems and poor character. He's an asshole along the lines of Steve Alford.
Well Said. Totally agree that I'm not a fan of his schtick, I think he is a good coach and leader. His results speak for themselves at this point....

Reactions: Eternal Return
National media, NFL organizations, former CFB/NFL players or coaches...respect the hell out of KF by all accounts.

Fans within the state of Iowa on the other hand...

Last edited:
Reactions: pmtdc
National media, NFL organizations, former CFB/NFL players or coaches...respect the he’ll out of KF by all accounts.

Fans within the state of Iowa on the other hand...
This needs to be read by EVERY Iowa fan!!

In a few years the golden era of Hawkeye
football with Hayden Fry and KIrk Ferentz
will be over. Hopefully it will be a smooth
transition to the next head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT