ADVERTISEMENT

Hunters are Poisoning Bald Eagles With Lead

But,..but..eagles kill all those new-born calves. Herds of cattle reduced by this constantly observed phenomenon. There won't be any cattle left if we don't eliminate eagles.

If you are American, your citizenship should be revoked and you should be exiled to a communist country. Do you not know the Bald Eagle represents American freedom? you need to GTFO of the country!

JFC. I was being facetious. Preempting the calf kill argument. Guess I should have noted I was being so.

I am a photographer with thousands of eagle photographs. I monitor eagle nests in 4 counties through the winter.

You're barking at the wrong eagle hater.

Last edited:
There was so much lead shot from decades of hunting in one SE Iowa site that it became a Super Fund Site!
There is no excuse to continue to use lead for shot and fishing tackle.

Nearly half of 1,210 eagles showed signs of repeated exposure to lead in a new study

Precisely why "regulation" and outlawing lead shot is the only solution here.
Market forces don't fix stuff like this.
This is exactly when I got out of my Rand Paul phase. I realized the whole free market thing, even when practiced in good faith, only fixes issues after they occur. You can't file against a factory for polluting the water before they do it. It's all reactive.

No excuse but there's a reason. A stupid bunch of legislators and Governor in Des Moines making stupid laws like this.

Why lead? What could possibly be the reason? Do our elected officials have a stake in the fortune of the lead industry?

No. Because ammo is sitting around, unused. Well, too fcvking bad. The difference in cost is worth the collective damage the law is causing? Of course not.

Do you even read your own articles?

"Other sources of lead include lead paint, fishing tackle, and runoff from mining activities

There's no mining in Iowa. Lead paint is already banned.
Fishing tackle is no different than lead shot.

Do you ever use your brain to think before you post?

This is exactly when I got out of my Rand Paul phase. I realized the whole free market thing, even when practiced in good faith, only fixes issues after they occur. You can't file against a factory for polluting the water before they do it. It's all reactive.

Pre-cisely!!!

It's what "externalized costs" are all about, and "free markets" cannot fix those.

If you are American, your citizenship should be revoked and you should be exiled to a communist country. Do you not know the Bald Eagle represents American freedom? you need to GTFO of the country!

The Turkey is more representative of America than the Eagle...

800px-Benjamin_Franklin.png
Franklin praised the turkey as “a bird of courage” and a “true original native of America.” He also said it was a better representative of the new country than the bald eagle, which he called “a bird of bad moral character” that steals fish from hawks and “a rank coward” easily cowed by sparrows. Franklin made these statements in a private letter to his daughter, Sarah Bache, in January 1784.

There's no mining in Iowa.
The study was conducted across 38 states dummy.

Lead paint is already banned.
So is lead shot for waterfowl hunting or any upland hunting that takes place in a waterway.

Fishing tackle is no different than lead shot.
Might want to change your title then.

Do you ever use your brain to think before you post?
I could be on a 7 day hallucinogen bender and point out how ****ing dumb the stuff you post is Joe.

The Turkey is more representative of America than the Eagle...

800px-Benjamin_Franklin.png
Franklin praised the turkey as “a bird of courage” and a “true original native of America.” He also said it was a better representative of the new country than the bald eagle, which he called “a bird of bad moral character” that steals fish from hawks and “a rank coward” easily cowed by sparrows. Franklin made these statements in a private letter to his daughter, Sarah Bache, in January 1784.
shutyourmouthgif.gif

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Do you even read your own articles?

"Other sources of lead include lead paint, fishing tackle, and runoff from mining activities, he added."

I read the article. Then re-read the article. Lead shot ingested is the primary cause of poisoning. Of course, there are ancillary issues. There are seldom single sources in nature.

I read the article. Then re-read the article. Lead shot ingested is the primary cause of poisoning. Of course, there are ancillary issues. There are seldom single sources in nature.
No complaints there but old Joe likes to try for bullshit absolutes like this

Because there's NO other "natural" source of lead to poison them aside from lead shot.

When that is clearly false.

Ergo: Whiskeytango doesn't read the articles.

BAU.

Because there's NO other "natural" source of lead to poison them aside from lead shot.

There isn't. To the levels and spread they see.

If it were "lead paint", it'd be in populated areas where paint exposure was a thing.
If it were mining tailings, it'd only be in mining areas.

But it's not; and we KNOW what that source is.

Again: Use Your Brain.

This is just like your "99% of Israelis have been fully vaccinated" nonsense. You got thoroughly PWNED in that thread. You looking for another dose?

Of course there is,.. where exactly do you think lead originates?

It's not a question of "where it originates"; the key is "how does it get everywhere".

30 years ago, that was "leaded gasoline". Today, it's hunting and fishing supplies.

The article was pretty vague but it sounded like the researchers think the main source is rifle rounds, not fishing tackle or shot. I’m not a hunter nor a munitions expert. How would going away from lead in a rifle round impact hunting?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The article was pretty vague but it sounded like the researchers think the main source is rifle rounds, not fishing tackle or shot. I’m not a hunter nor a munitions expert. How would going away from lead in a rifle round impact hunting?

Then don't say things like...

"Because there's no other "natural" source of lead"...

There isn't. Not that would produce the widespread pollution you're seeing.

Aside from leaded fuels, which were banned ~40 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT