ADVERTISEMENT

Husch-Blackwell Report is Out

If it is truly nothing of note that hasn’t already been brought to light/being addressed....where do Moorehouse, Harty and Howe go from here?

I did see something about 4 individuals who seemed to be in a bit of trouble. Guessing BF, Wallace....who else? (Or maybe that tweet was wrong).

If it is truly nothing of note that hasn’t already been brought to light/being addressed....where do Moorehouse, Harty and Howe go from here?

I did see something about 4 individuals who seemed to be in a bit of trouble. Guessing BF, Wallace....who else? (Or maybe that tweet was wrong).
Yeah it mentioned other coaches having some issues but nothing about KF. Seemed mostly about Doyle as we know and issues overall with racial bias. Pretty much just confirmed everything that came out and recommends some changes. Players seem much happier now.

Posted this in HROT but will here as well.

Kind of what I expected. The gripes have been out there in the open so no surprises. Also seems like pretty easy fixes. Have a diversity committee, drop the earrings rule, play some damn rap music once in awhile.

I still don’t buy the NFL tampering. That makes little sense from a program perspective.

Ultimately, I think this is a situation in which 80’s and 90’s style of football program management clashed with 2010’s racial culture at a time when race tensions are high. Ferentz and Doyle aren’t inherently racist but the old school Bobby Knight stuff just doesn’t fly anymore for better or worse.

Problem was observed, changes have been made. Time to move on. Also wouldn’t be surprised if BF takes another job some time soon. No way he’ll be the next HC.

What a joke.

These whiny little snowflakes cry because they're all of the sudden in the real world and don't like being told how things really operate.

Guess what guys; you show up on time, dress properly, act like adults, and realize the world doesn't revolve around your hats, clothes, or music.

I half-expected the report to be a bombshell but it appears to be anything but. It appears some of the most damning comments were from a former black player. It's a good thing these guys didn't have to serve in the military. All in all, I'm happy to see that everyone seems to be reporting things are going in a positive direction now.

It states that personnel reports on 4 current or former employees were provided. I would guess that they include Doyle, Wallace, BF and one other person. The scope of what those say none of us know at this time.

To the larger report. I don't see it as a total nothing-burger. Neither is it a smoking gun that everyone must go. Some of the decisions made were just very perplexing. Who thought it was a good idea to put sleep trackers on everyone and provide all that data to Doyle? At no point, no one on staff says "this may not be a good idea."? Totally fine and acceptable to use the body monitors during workouts or practices to measure how players are responding to workouts or practice. And yes, educate and encourage correct sleep. But to require everyone to use sleep bands and that data goes to the S&C staff? Would anyone allow your employer to do this to you? After all, if sleep improves performance shouldn't we just let our employer have our sleep data?

When it comes to the individual interactions that staff is having with black athletes, only time will tell if that improves. KF has to figure out a way to drive discipline and being demanding while acting in a more inclusive matter. I don't know how that plays out. There is nothing wrong with having rules and setting expectations. In fact, it's needed in any organization. Hopefully they can figure it out.

If you watch a show like hard knocks or last chance u, and filter all comments made by coaches as racist you’ll think you hear a lot of racist stuff. In other words if you’re assume everything said is racial, you’ll find what you are looking for.
I’m sure players of color discuss things and they tend to look for it.
point being, were some coaches maybe racial insensitive, maybe. I’d say they were more generationally insensitive. Kids today are mentally weaker than they were even 10-15 years ago. A lot of that is not the kids fault, social media has turned people into incessant whiners.

It states that personnel reports on 4 current or former employees were provided. I would guess that they include Doyle, Wallace, BF and one other person. The scope of what those say none of us know at this time.

To the larger report. I don't see it as a total nothing-burger. Neither is it a smoking gun that everyone must go. Some of the decisions made were just very perplexing. Who thought it was a good idea to put sleep trackers on everyone and provide all that data to Doyle? At no point, no one on staff says "this may not be a good idea."? Totally fine and acceptable to use the body monitors during workouts or practices to measure how players are responding to workouts or practice. And yes, educate and encourage correct sleep. But to require everyone to use sleep bands and that data goes to the S&C staff? Would anyone allow your employer to do this to you? After all, if sleep improves performance shouldn't we just let our employer have our sleep data?

When it comes to the individual interactions that staff is having with black athletes, only time will tell if that improves. KF has to figure out a way to drive discipline and being demanding while acting in a more inclusive matter. I don't know how that plays out. There is nothing wrong with having rules and setting expectations. In fact, it's needed in any organization. Hopefully they can figure it out.
Sleep data is a valid metric and I’m sure many other schools do the same.
However I would agree it may cross a line if what is too much.

I noted that a separate report (probably not public) would be made on several current coaches.

It seems as if one current player is very dissatisfied with the culture of the program.

Wadley's comments are easy to identify.

Last edited:

KF and Barta because they’re in charge. BF and Doyle because their names were brought up by former and current players.

It would be interesting for a similar investigation to be done at Wisconsin, Northwestern, and one of the Michigan schools.

I also wonder if there is any correlation to blacks feeling like the minority all of the time playing into this. This may not be the case at OSU, MSU, etc.

I am typically a friendly and talkative person. My wife and I were at Six Flags in Atlanta. While standing in line, the workers would often have conversations with people in line who were black and if I said anything I would get a strange look and ignored.
It felt odd to noticeably be a minority and I decided to simply stay quiet. I wasn't mad, but did notice the interactions were different. I could see a subtle issue being perceived much larger than intended.

Reactions: evashevsky58
If you watch a show like hard knocks or last chance u, and filter all comments made by coaches as racist you’ll think you hear a lot of racist stuff. In other words if you’re assume everything said is racial, you’ll find what you are looking for.
point being, were some coaches maybe racial insensitive, maybe. I’d say they were more generationally insensitive. Kids today are mentally weaker than they were even 10-15 years ago. A lot of that is not the kids fault, social media has turned people into incessant whiners.

This and exactly this.

If you view everything as a slight (like many of our younger generation does) you will find it in about every walk of life. It doesn't mean that it really exists. I am quite sure the coaches were very tough on the players and held them accountable. Not so sure if that equals to racism just because a few ex players saw minor things that hurt there feelings or held them accountable.

Your last two sentences are SO spot on! Very, very well said, and true.

THIS IS NOTABLE from pages 24 and 25:

2018-2019:
• Strength and Conditioning Staff: received no ratings of “poor” or “below average”
• Head Coach: Over 90% responded “yes” to whether they would be comfortable approaching the coach with a personal (91.40%) or team (90.32%) concern
• Position/event/assistant coaches: 90.32% responded “yes” to whether they would be comfortable approaching the coach with a personal or team concern
• 4 players said they had been subject to bullying or hazing by a member of the coaching staff; 95.70% players responded they had not

2019-2020:
• Strength and Conditioning Staff: received no ratings of “poor” or “below average”
• Head Coach: 89.2% responded “yes” to whether they would be comfortable approaching the coach with a personal or team concern • Position/event/assistant coaches: 91.18% responded “yes” to whether they would be comfortable approaching the coach with a personal or team concern
• 2 players said they had been subject to bullying or hazing by a member of the coaching staff; 98.04% players responded they had not

Guarantee you Coach Kaz was one of the 4. He has not been here in a while, but there was enough there to know one was him.

I continue to see a lot of posters try to justify and rationalize racial disparities and at best racial insensitivity and at times racial bias and uneven treatment. Calling out racial issues doesn't make the players incessant whiners or mentally weaker as Bulldog74 amazingly suggests. People of color are becoming more empowered yet still have a long way to go, but its wonderful these difficult discussions taking place and hopefully meaningful and genuine change is achieved to make the program better. Over the years most of us grew to love the Iowa Way but its clear now that there were significant flaws in the Iowa Way and its unfortunate it was allowed to go on for so long, especially as it relates to Doyle and to a lessor degree Brian Ferentz.

So, what happens now?
Business as usual, but continue to make changes so each player can feel like they can be themself without jeopardizing team unity. Oh and if you have a problem take it to someone immediately and probably involve more than one person.

I continue to see a lot of posters try to justify and rationalize racial disparities and at best racial insensitivity and at times racial bias and uneven treatment. Calling out racial issues doesn't make the players incessant whiners or mentally weaker as Bulldog74 amazingly suggests. People of color are becoming more empowered yet still have a long way to go, but its wonderful these difficult discussions taking place and hopefully meaningful and genuine change is achieved to make the program better. Over the years most of us grew to love the Iowa Way but its clear now that there were significant flaws in the Iowa Way and its unfortunate it was allowed to go on for so long, especially as it relates to Doyle and to a lessor degree Brian Ferentz.
Watch hard knocks or last chance u. This was a mole hill made into a mountain by people like you.
You see what you want to see as do I but I’ve played college football and watched shows previously mentioned as well as been to many practices at Iowa, I’ve also had former players play at Iowa. Doyle may have gotten full of himself but the coaches there are good people that have been called racists and that’s not fair.

Boomers whine at about the same clip.

Also the whining comment is for all people not just people of color.
As a teacher and coach for a quarter century I feel like I am qualified to make the claim. You can draw a direct line between kids attitudes pre 2012 to today and the rise of social media. Depression up. Suicide up. Fomo. What aren’t you getting that someone else is. Check out when Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram apps were developed and when the iPhones took off. The connection is obvious.

Wonder where this leaves players like Hankins, who directly stated recently that there is "systematic racism" within the program.

Seems as if there was a huge mob mentality when this all broke, and many of the statements provided were fueled with emotion rather than thought process.

Don't let it go unnoticed that it says right in the report that several allegations are either disputed or outright fabricated.

The "NFL Draft Prospects" allegations for instance. What motivation would the coaching staff have to make disparaging comments about a player's draft prospects? After all having players drafted in a good thing for the program.

Again, Wadley's comments are easily identifiable.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Also the whining comment is for all people not just people of color.
As a teacher and coach for a quarter century I feel like I am qualified to make the claim. You can draw a direct line between kids attitudes pre 2012 to today and the rise of social media. Depression up. Suicide up. Fomo. What aren’t you getting that someone else is.
I hate to say it, because I'm not even particularly religious and it's also a cliche boomer statement, but there is no longer a fear of a God or of a "judgement day" , and I think that has contributed to how out of control society seems to have become.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT