ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers NIL program lands big fish

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
TCU DE, Mathis, chooses to play for Nebraska next year over home-state Longhorns.
2 time 2nd team All-Big 12 ,he is a 6'5" 245lb rush end had 4sacks with 7 tackles for loss last year.Evidently Texas could not match the reported 500k-620k NIL package put together be a Nebraska collective.
I am not a huge Husker basher but I do enjoy beating them immensely.
They are thin in the D-line but obviously Mathis bolsters that group.
I like our chance at extending our win streak at Kinnick on Black Friday but our o-tackle was sketchy last year so they need to improve to handle guys like Mathis.
I hope the big payday for an outsider hurts chemistry in the Husker locker room.
I doubt this NIL free agency is sustainable long term but Hawks better be ready to operate in this new environment for the short term.
I am also hoping this guy will find the going tougher in the more physical Big ten.
Frost needs to get to a bowl this year to save his job so he will be "all in" to do anything it takes to survive.
Hopefully by Blaçk Friday the handwriting will be on the wall and the Huskers will be a mess that the Hawks can handle for the 8th straight time.

TCU DE, Mathis, chooses to play for Nebraska next year over home-state Longhorns.
2 time 2nd team All-Big 12 ,he is a 6'5" 245lb rush end had 4sacks with 7 tackles for loss last year.Evidently Texas could not match the reported 500k-620k NIL package put together be a Nebraska collective.
I like our chance at extending our win streak at Kinnick on Black Friday but our o-tackle was sketchy last year so they need to improve to handle guys like Mathis.
I hope the big payday for an outsider hurts chemistry in the Husker locker room.
I doubt this NIL free agency is sustainable long term but Hawks better be ready to operate in this new environment for the short term.
I am also hoping this guy will find the going tougher in the more physical Big ten.
Frost needs to get to a bowl this year to save his job so he will be "all in" to do anything it takes to survive.
Hopefully by Blaçk Friday the handwriting will be on the wall and the Huskers will be a mess that the Hawks can handle for the 8th straight time.
K

Seems like an over the top outlay for that level of production. Two time 2nd team All big12 or not. We had two part time players, VanNess and Evans both had SEVEN sacks for a team that people say doesn't get enough pressure on the QB. I think that just highlights the difference in the defense played in the two leagues....

It's great to have an edge rusher, but in the B10 there is no substitute for having DTs that can be disruptive and hold the line and stay in their gaps taking up blockers. Nebraska is really hurting inside.

What happens when you aren't strong in the middle? By the time you get to the end of the season, teams have it figured out, and you are weaker because you have been pounded for 12 games. This doesn't bode well for Nebraska.

It's great to have an edge rusher, but in the B10 there is no substitute for having DTs that can be disruptive and hold the line and stay in their gaps taking up blockers. Nebraska is really hurting inside.

What happens when you aren't strong in the middle? By the time you get to the end of the season, teams have it figured out, and you are weaker because you have been pounded for 12 games. This doesn't bode well for Nebraska.
42-3 Michigan says hello...their two pass rushers are better but Iowa got exposed big time on the edges.

2 time 2nd team All-Big 12 ,he is a 6'5" 245lb rush end had 4sacks with 7 tackles for loss last year..
I don't know how the heck Iowa is going to handle a DE that no one has ever heard of who transfers from a school most people couldn't find on a map and who was 2nd team in the worst defensive conference in football.

Texas could not match the reported 500k-620k NIL package put together be [SIC] a Nebraska collective.

I assume by "could not" you actually mean "was not stupid enough to..."

But kudos to the kid for taking advantage of Husker NIL $. That'll pay a lot of legal fees and rehab costs.

If you’re worried about Nebraska I have a few options for you:

1. Remember who is coaching them and his absolute record breaking ability to be eons behind the fan bases expectation(s).

The only real justification for him having a job is arguably no one else would take it at this point because they are an epic dumpster fire.

2) Go back and watch the entire game from last year (or the last 6 years?) and enjoy how eloquently they take a out a 12 gauge, turn the nozzle directly at their own dicks, and pull the trigger, repeatedly.

They are irrelevant, no matter what they do anymore. This thread is unnecessary

As I said I enjoy beating the Huskers as much as any Hawkeye fan but I can read the scoreboard and acknowledge that our margin of victory in these games of late has been very thin.
To essentially rule out ever losing to the Huskers is a bit delusional.
As was pointed out Mich's d-ends gave our tackles fits last year so we clearly could be vulnerable to speed rushers.
This guy was rated one of the better d-ends in the portal so thought it was worth noting.

Their defense b1tch slapped our offense...

42-3 Michigan says hello...their two pass rushers are better but Iowa got exposed big time on the edges.
What's Michigan got to do with what we were talking about. Nebraska is hurting at the DT position and will have a hell of a time stopping the run in the B10 throughout the season if you aren't strong in the middle of your defense. Michigan didn't run all over Iowa. That game was 14-3 midway through the 4th quarter. They had two big plays for those 14 points. They also got a lot of their rushing yards in mop up time after our offense kept forking over the ball with three and outs. Harbaugh was throwing the ball with a 28 point lead to run up the score. That will be remembered in Iowa City in October.

The point I'm making is that if you don't have depth and experience at the DT position...your LBs are fighting off blocks all day and it just sets up play action and beats you down. Nebraska better get help in portal inside...or it doesn't matter if you can rush the passer...teams won't throw as much and in the B10...they pound you.

I'm less worried about Iowa's offensive tackles this fall. Richmond showed he's got potential and KF will figure out who the best fit is at right tackle...most likely Plumb. Iowa was just flat out young on the OL...and Schott getting hurt just compounded it for 6-7 games. I thought the OL played better the last 3-4 games minus Michigan. In their defense, we fell behind and couldn't run the ball...that just set up their edge rushers to pin their ears back.

I expect this offensive line, even without Lindy, to be alot better than last year. Colby and Richmond are going to be great players...and there are 5-6 other guys that have a chance to break through. Plumb showed some promise while Richmond was out...hopefully he continues to progress. That leaves needing two guys to step up. I think it happens.

The good thing...our defense has a chance to be great. Yes...great. All four of the top DTs back, several guys at DE that have showed promise (Craig, Hurkett, Van Ness)...and alot of depth in case someone gets hurt. Van Ness could be a breakout superstar this year. We may have one of the top five linebacking crews in the country and two starters back in the secondary...and several guys who got experience last year. These guys are going to be fun to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see X steal the starting safety spot either.

Last edited:
The question remains…what’s this do to the locker room psyche for Nebraska when another mercenary unfamiliar face walks in the door…been paid and was not involved in winter conditioning in Lincoln. That D-line in Lincoln will be trampled by game #12

As I said I enjoy beating the Huskers as much as any Hawkeye fan but I can read the scoreboard and acknowledge that our margin of victory in these games of late has been very thin.
To essentially rule out ever losing to the Huskers is a bit delusional.
As was pointed out Mich's d-ends gave our tackles fits last year so we clearly could be vulnerable to speed rushers.
This guy was rated one of the better d-ends in the portal so thought it was worth noting.
And UM's DE's were FAR better than what Debby has or is bringing in.

Seems like an over the top outlay for that level of production. Two time 2nd team All big12 or not. We had two part time players, VanNess and Evans both had SEVEN sacks for a team that people say doesn't get enough pressure on the QB. I think that just highlights the difference in the defense played in the two leagues....
^This.

It would put him in 4th as far as statistical production if he'd played at Iowa last season. And most of the Iowa guys were not every down guys as we run a lot of guys in and out, one of which was a RS FR.

So yawn.

Let me know when Aidan Hutchison transfers into Lincoln, then I'll start being concerned.

2021: 3-9, 1-8

4 straight losses at home in Memorial Stadium, 5 straight years without a bowl invitation, 3.8 wins/season over that time.

7 STRAIGHT LOSSES TO IOWA, AND 8 OF THE LAST 9.

The Once Mighties continue to win the preseason, now fortified with NIL.

Last edited:
Let me know when Aidan Hutchison transfers into Lincoln, then I'll start being concerned.

2021: 3-9, 1-8

4 straight losses at home in Memorial Stadium, 5 straight years without a bowl invitation, 3.8 wins/season over that time.
Nebby really stunk it up last year. Frost does his worst job coaching with a team full of "super" seniors and only manages 1 B1G win. And that was his 4th and worst year ever as a HC. And he's not fired.

Culture of losers.

Will Frost even be the coach when they come to Kinnick in November? Or God willing will the Hawks finally deliver the knockout blow to that letter jacket wearing freak? We killed off Pelini and Reilly. A third Husker coach coming to Kinnick to die.

Nebraska got a defender from the Big XII?!?!?! We know how seriously they take defense in the Big XII…

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Which has nothing to do with Nebraska. Pretty sure Iowa will continue to own Nebraska. Saw how the baseball series went this weekend. Does Nebraska beat Iowa in anything?
They beat us in golf.

Iowa beat UNLLLLLLL in:
Football (in Lincoln)
Men's basketball (twice + Big Ten tournament champions)
Men's Indoor Track and Field (Big Ten Champions)
Wrestling (in Lincoln)
Baseball (in Lincoln)
Men's Cross Country (in Lincoln)
Women's basketball (three times)
Women's Indoor Track and Field
Women's Cross Country (in Lincoln)
Women's soccer
Women's Gymnastics

Let's no forget academics.

ADVERTISEMENT