ADVERTISEMENT

HWC $146,785 Raised! Goal- 100K

Novakht

HR All-State
Aug 3, 2013
Guys/Gals-- I decided to start a new thread rather then hijack the recruiting thread. My purpose for responding is to give some insight on the efforts of the board and fundraising.

Hopefully this wont sound defensive, because it certainly isnt intended that way--quite the contrary--we appreciate and welcome your support and advice. Matter of fact we have taken actions based on input directly from this message fum.

So I am a board member and as some earlier mentioned that the board is made up of people that have full time jobs---with that said I would put this group up against ANY as far as taking time from whatever they are doing to work on behalf of the club.

I rarely disagree with Gobblin-- but here goes:) We do have special shirts/hats/coats/jackets for bigger donors-- these only go to those that start at $250 and up. Because we heard the voices that wanted to buy HWC gear---and not donate as much we offered our gear in two stores--

https://www.iowa247365.com/category_s/1938.htm Ironside is very generous in what he gives back

https://phelpsusa.com/stores/shop/149 Phelps Store

Is this the best way--- maybe not, but it is a way for anyone to own the gear--without being a big donor.

As far as some of the ideas--I love them--but we simply cant do it. The University and Foundation want the donors money--and ZERO of it flows to the HWC. We are limited in who we can talk to etc. There is a lot more to it-- As an example--at Bryce Jordan a couple yrs ago for PSU vs Iowa-- 16K people-- the Penn State Wrestling Club had a booth--they announced it and encouraged people to stop by--coaches and athletes in booth immediately after the meet--- we cant do that, we cant hand out flyers at meets etc.

It isnt that our staff or board hasnt talked at length about many of these ideas--we are limited. Many donors and Alum think they are helping us because the University Donation for specifies where you want the $$ to go--- many say wrestling--but we dont see any of it.

So unfortunately we are limited to grass roots type stuff--Plunge/Shoot/Golf Outings/Banquets etc.
Also some other programs have some HUGE donors--we have some generous people, no doubt but not on the level of some other clubs.

Some of what is said is worth considering--restructure swag and donations-- that isnt hard-- but to say that the club needs people with business acumen is a cheap shot. The people I have seen on that board and who are currently on it have plenty of business smarts. Doesnt mean at all we cant do better,improve or look for new ideas.

Im not complaining-- Its just that the other clubs have different arrangements with the Universities then the HWC does--I could talk about it until Im blue in the face-. Not an excuse--just a fact.

To the poster who donated $250 and didnt get a shirt--email me randy@novakheating.com please.

We do have a banquet coming up--it is a blast. If you can attend as a single or get a group for a table that would be great. If you have auction items to donate..great.

http://www.hawkeyewrestlingclub.com/events/v/2017-hwc-banquet/55/

The dates for our summer golf outings are on on the HWC website.

Thank you for you past support, your future support--keep the suggestions/complaints/comments coming-- we are not perfect, but we are working hard to help the club and these athletes . GO HAWKS !

Who would be the best person to send an email to in the admin to bitch about them directly helping tOSU and PSU pass us up?

Maybe we need a pedophile scandal in the football ranks so they will actually put some backing to other sports, instead of hamstring them, to help build back the good name of the University.

Last edited:
When I moved away from Iowa City/Cedar Rapids, I kept my wrestling season tickets for two years but ended up dropping them due to the distance from Iowa City (3.5 hours). I now use that money and donate directly to the HWC instead so I know it directly impacts the wrestling program. Hopefully others will follow suit. $250 is less than a dollar a day... now I sound like those pet shelter commercials lol.

If that email involes the Foundation, don't waste your time. Especially when the state is going to hit the UI hard again with general fund reductions.

I think the HWC needs about 5 of us to win the lottery. I'm not saying that to joke around either, 4-5 1 million donations would go a long ways obviously.

If that email involes the Foundation, don't waste your time. Especially when the state is going to hit the UI hard again with general fund reductions.

I think the HWC needs about 5 of us to win the lottery. I'm not saying that to joke around either, 4-5 1 million donations would go a long ways obviously.
The problem is, I am not even sure the University would let you donate that amount to HWC without them trying to get most of it first.

Last edited:
As far as some of the ideas--I love them--but we simply cant do it. The University and Foundation want the donors money--and ZERO of it flows to the HWC. We are limited in who we can talk to etc.

Thanks for the response Novak. The university seeing the HWC as a competitor, and intentionally trying to undermine it is sad to hear. Thanks for the efforts you and the rest put in. I'm going to try and step up my donations in the future.

"intentionally trying to undermine it is sad to hear"

I wouldnt use these words--they let us do our thing ---- they want us to raise $$ as long as it doesnt effect the foundation :) Its big business-- I get it. Just disappointing that other Universities look for ways to help the clubs.

Imagine if the Football program added a checkoff box to season tickets that allowed them to donate and extra amount to the HWC--I bet many would.

Reactions: oakly54 and pinters
Guys/Gals-- I decided to start a new thread rather then hijack the recruiting thread. My purpose for responding is to give some insight on the efforts of the board and fundraising.

Hopefully this wont sound defensive, because it certainly isnt intended that way--quite the contrary--we appreciate and welcome your support and advice. Matter of fact we have taken actions based on input directly from this message fum.

So I am a board member and as some earlier mentioned that the board is made up of people that have full time jobs---with that said I would put this group up against ANY as far as taking time from whatever they are doing to work on behalf of the club.

I rarely disagree with Gobblin-- but here goes:) We do have special shirts/hats/coats/jackets for bigger donors-- these only go to those that start at $250 and up. Because we heard the voices that wanted to buy HWC gear---and not donate as much we offered our gear in two stores--

https://www.iowa247365.com/category_s/1938.htm Ironside is very generous in what he gives back

https://phelpsusa.com/stores/shop/149 Phelps Store

Is this the best way--- maybe not, but it is a way for anyone to own the gear--without being a big donor.

As far as some of the ideas--I love them--but we simply cant do it. The University and Foundation want the donors money--and ZERO of it flows to the HWC. We are limited in who we can talk to etc. There is a lot more to it-- As an example--at Bryce Jordan a couple yrs ago for PSU vs Iowa-- 16K people-- the Penn State Wrestling Club had a booth--they announced it and encouraged people to stop by--coaches and athletes in booth immediately after the meet--- we cant do that, we cant hand out flyers at meets etc.

It isnt that our staff or board hasnt talked at length about many of these ideas--we are limited. Many donors and Alum think they are helping us because the University Donation for specifies where you want the $$ to go--- many say wrestling--but we dont see any of it.

So unfortunately we are limited to grass roots type stuff--Plunge/Shoot/Golf Outings/Banquets etc.
Also some other programs have some HUGE donors--we have some generous people, no doubt but not on the level of some other clubs.

Some of what is said is worth considering--restructure swag and donations-- that isnt hard-- but to say that the club needs people with business acumen is a cheap shot. The people I have seen on that board and who are currently on it have plenty of business smarts. Doesnt mean at all we cant do better,improve or look for new ideas.

Im not complaining-- Its just that the other clubs have different arrangements with the Universities then the HWC does--I could talk about it until Im blue in the face-. Not an excuse--just a fact.

To the poster who donated $250 and didnt get a shirt--email me randy@novakheating.com please.

We do have a banquet coming up--it is a blast. If you can attend as a single or get a group for a table that would be great. If you have auction items to donate..great.

http://www.hawkeyewrestlingclub.com/events/v/2017-hwc-banquet/55/

The dates for our summer golf outings are on on the HWC website.

Thank you for you past support, your future support--keep the suggestions/complaints/comments coming-- we are not perfect, but we are working hard to help the club and these athletes . GO HAWKS !

Thanks for the feedback Randy. Obviously no cheap shots intended... You'd have a damn hard time finding a bigger supporter of Hawkeye wrestling than myself. Maybe not financially as I'm just a poor construction worker, but I absolutely do everything I can as do many other members of my family and friends that I encourage on the reg.

That being said, there are always more angles and/or strings to pull... The board just needs to find the right ones... Soon. We're at a crucial time right now for the future of Hawkeye wrestling.

Thanks again for your time and dedication to the HWC and Hawkeye wrestling.

"intentionally trying to undermine it is sad to hear"

I wouldnt use these words--they let us do our thing ---- they want us to raise $$ as long as it doesnt effect the foundation :) Its big business-- I get it. Just disappointing that other Universities look for ways to help the clubs.

Imagine if the Football program added a checkoff box to season tickets that allowed them to donate and extra amount to the HWC--I bet many would.
I consider them preventing ways to advertise and raise funds as intentionally undermining. I am aware that they provide certain major things that the club needs to operate, but it is still disappointing to hear. Either way, I'm going to try and put my money where my mouth is, and hopefully others will do the same.

"That being said, there are always more angles and/or strings to pull... The board just needs to find the right ones... Soon. We're at a crucial time right now for the future of Hawkeye wrestling."

Cant disagree with that at all !!

Thanks for your post, Novakht! A quick question about the HWC website, is it possible to get it set up to take recurring payments? That right there would help tremendously. Also, I wouldn't mind receiving the occasional email from the HWC asking for contributions or letting me know of upcoming events, or when the guys are wrestling overseas.

Well, I have heard the University frowns upon certain people donating to the HWC if they have donated to the University general fund before. They feel anything going to the HWC is something that should have went to the general fund.

Last edited:
Well, I have heard the University frowns upon certain people donating to the HWC if they have donated to the University general fund before. They feel anything going to the HWC is something that should have went to the general fund.

How would they even know?

Make it easier to donate and we can get internal side bets going to benefit HWC and external ones with other fan bases benefitting wrestling 4 life. Both are charities and tax deductible.

Hey Randy, were you ever able to make any headway on the federal CFC? I donated $100 a month pretax out of my military paycheck to USA Wrestling for the past 4 years...money that would have went to HWC had that option been there. I don't have time to work it now but will be moving up to IC at the end of April and can look at getting you guys added once we get settled. It's the feds and a bunch of red tape I suppose but once it's done, anybody in the federal gov both mil/civilian can do it.

Reactions: andegre
I consider them preventing ways to advertise and raise funds as intentionally undermining. I am aware that they provide certain major things that the club needs to operate, but it is still disappointing to hear. Either way, I'm going to try and put my money where my mouth is, and hopefully others will do the same.
Not sure the foundation provides anything to the club, with the exception of locker room and a place to work out. Have been involved with the foundation, donated at what I considered a high level for 25 years but finally one slight too many. There has to be a way to bypass the foundations sticky money fingers.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Not sure the foundation provides anything to the club, with the exception of locker room and a place to work out. Have been involved with the foundation, donated at what I considered a high level for 25 years but finally one slight too many. There has to be a way to bypass the foundations sticky money fingers.

Agree - let 'em frown. I too was a foundation contributor, but I'm going HWC in the future. As Bob Dylan says - ". . . things have changed."

This does sound like a goatf*ck to me considering that the first thing that people think of when they consider Iowa is wrestling. I get that football is king, with BBall being second but no other program has covered Iowa in glory as much as wrestling.

It sounds like the same deal with charities like the Red Cross. After 9-11, folks thought their money was going straight to the victims and their families...turns out, not so much. Same with Susan G. Komen.

What does the U of Iowa admin have against a level playing field? If it's proper and approved at PSU to fund and promote it's wrestling club, why is it taboo at Iowa?

DonH asked it earlier.... what is the name/email of the administrator(s) who is capable of changing things? It would be nice to let them hear -loud and clear - from wrestling fans from one of the greatest collegiate sports program in history.

Admin support is needed. Without support, you end up with a mediocre program.

Email the President. It's really a foundation issue. They want a cut of every dollar that comes into the College. I am sure they do that to maintain a well rounded, liberal arts education & to maintain title 9 in athletics. If they didn't skim the top, there would be no way to realistically fund women's sports (sorry fortunata).

This does sound like a goatf*ck to me considering that the first thing that people think of when they consider Iowa is wrestling. I get that football is king, with BBall being second but no other program has covered Iowa in glory as much as wrestling.

It sounds like the same deal with charities like the Red Cross. After 9-11, folks thought their money was going straight to the victims and their families...turns out, not so much. Same with Susan G. Komen.

Does any of the Big 10 TV money go to the wrestling program?

Some chit chat from the clowns on their club. Are they doing something different than what we are? If so can we do the same thing?

"The only difference is the old RTC was under the CWC and the new one is its own identity managed by Dresser. Dresser will raise the money for the RTC.

The main point for people to understand is the only change is how the money will be raised. It will be raised by Kevin and not the CWC. Also, Kevin will make all decision regarding who to bring in. On a side note, it is amazing what the very top guys are making. For us to compete with the PSUs of the world it will take 3-4x the money that CWC annually raises."

On the TDR broadcast on the other thread they commented at about the 14:00 minute mark that a parent told one of them that Iowa was not up to 2017 standards when it comes to finding creative ways to gets kids money. So either there are some things we can do we are not or these extra things are linked to the club or other teams are cheating and we are not, lol. Another guy said the CWC had a similar issue with the general fundraising making it hard for the club to raise money but it sounds like changes were made now. If ISU is now giving more support that we are then shame on U of I. Wrestling has been the only sport they have that has been a legit national title contender most every year.

Reactions: Gobblin
"Did wrestling lose it's ally in the athletic department when Fred Mims retired?"

Fred was/is great-- but even when he was here we had same restrictions. If we raise money on our own without asking the big donors --they allow us to do our thing.

Reactions: pinters
Email the President. It's really a foundation issue. They want a cut of every dollar that comes into the College. I am sure they do that to maintain a well rounded, liberal arts education & to maintain title 9 in athletics. If they didn't skim the top, there would be no way to realistically fund women's sports (sorry fortunata).
Has very little to do with women's programs. The athletic budget is administered through the athletic offices and the athletic department is self reliant. The football and basketball program have endowedscholarships which the wrestling program doesn't basedon being a partial scholarship sport. It has everything to do with the foundation and their ego and their fund raising philosphy, yiu have to remember the U of I Hospitals and Clinics are KING.

I setup a monthly donation through the u of i credit union. Automatic every month and easy to do. Also easy to increase every couple years without pain. Now I'm worried it is not going to the HWC.

Can anyone set me straight here? If I want to donate to the HWC I mail them a check or donate through the website. How is the U of I able to prevent me from doing that? They aren't a party in the transaction nor are they privy to it.

But I don't understand how they would even be aware of a donation to the HWC. Especially after the fact. I'm confused.

But I don't understand how they would even be aware of a donation to the HWC. Especially after the fact. I'm confused.
They wouldn't know, but I suspect they nip it in the bud when asked by donors. If a donor asks if they should donate through the foundation or direct to the HWC, the foundation tells them they want it all.

They wouldn't know, but I suspect they nip it in the bud when asked by donors. If a donor asks if they should donate through the foundation or direct to the HWC, the foundation tells them they want it all.
Guessing that if there were 3 Hawkeye boosters that won the lottery they would make it their business to know where their money is going.

"Did wrestling lose it's ally in the athletic department when Fred Mims retired?"

Fred was/is great-- but even when he was here we had same restrictions. If we raise money on our own without asking the big donors --they allow us to do our thing.
I greatly appreciate all that you do, Randy, and that goes for the whole HWC board. This garbage about the U of I prohibiting the HWC from talking to big donors is absolute hogwash. If a big donor wants to give to the HWC, so be it. And if the HWC wants to ask him/her to do so, that should be entirely within your rights.

As mentioned above, the U of I and the state of Iowa are known for wrestling above all else. Sure, football is a big revenue sport and funds the athletic department, etc., but wrestling is woven into the fabric of the U of I and Iowa culture. You can't put a monetary value on that connection between the sport and the people. Iowa wrestling also carries the banner for the university and the state in a number of ways. You ask any somewhat knowledgeable sports fan around the country which sport comes to mind when they think of Iowa, and it'll be wrestling all day long. That means something. It's worth supporting. It's worth nurturing. And it's worth the backing of big-money donors. So the U of I can kiss my sweet behind if it wants to prohibit that kind of support from happening. This has to change, and I think it will.

In the meantime, I like what I'm seeing above from you Hawk fans directing your funds to the HWC. Keep it up! It's a start. Let's make it snowball from here. You know the whole thing about telling two friends, and they tell two friends, etc. -- talk to your friends and family and get them doing the same thing. Iowa wrestling has the biggest, most passionate, and proudest fan base in the nation. It's a huge resource, and a sleeping giant where fundraising for the HWC is concerned. Let's keep putting our money where out mouths are, Hawk fans!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT