ADVERTISEMENT

HWC Showdown Open

IAChief32

HR Heisman
Apr 21, 2017
Looks like a dual at Coralville Arena. 7 men's matches and two womens.

The event pay-per-view is $29.95. Funds will go to post-graduate athletes, who will earn money for participation, performance and a percentage of pay-per-view sales, as well as to support the HWC. \

Even if you can't attend the fact that this goes directly toward supporting HWC and HWC wrestlers is more than enough reason to pay for the PPV broadcast.

Exciting, though I think Track might have overpriced it a bit. I think they'd make more money at around $15ish. Hawk fans might pay $30, but I think a lot of casuals are priced out there for a one-off event. That's as much as they charge for an entire world championships.

Exciting, though I think Track might have overpriced it a bit. I think they'd make more money at around $15ish. Hawk fans might pay $30, but I think a lot of casuals are priced out there for a one-off event. That's as much as they charge for an entire world championships.
Agree $30 for 1 event is a little bit to much for non Iowa fans to pay.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule

I tend to agree - depending on the non-Hawk fans interest in the opponents, you might be able to capture more of the wrestling fan-base.

$30 still isn't bad to host a watch party if people are into doing that on a Sunday.
"I'll get the stream, you bring a case."

Hope this works out well! I would really like to see more events of this model. Wrestling doesn't lend itself too well to a league format to get the athletes paid.

Reactions: CurtisLoew40

Depends on who they get in... not gonna happen but Gilman vs Lee is worth much more than $30 by itself.

To make the same amount at $15 they would have to double the number of fans buying it. Might be wrong, but that doesn't seem likely.

Not seeing how $30 is overpriced. It's $15-$20 to just get a ticket to a home dual for one person.

To make the same amount at $15 they would have to double the number of fans buying it. Might be wrong, but that doesn't seem likely.

Not seeing how $30 is overpriced. It's $15-$20 to just get a ticket to a home dual for one person.
You get way more for a dual ticket. For PPV, you get to see good wrestling, but you miss on the atmosphere. I don't see how that helps your argument at all because you're getting less for a higher price.

Could definitely be wrong, but that was just my first reaction to the price. It seems high compared to some of the other events that have been happening. Now, if they have great lineup, maybe that calculation changes, but frankly, HWC doesn't currently have a ton of top dogs. NLWC has way bigger names currently and their event was cheaper and you got a whole month of Rokfin content on top of it. If I wasn't a hawk fan, I don't think I would even consider shelling out $30 (unless there is a Lee v. Gilman match).

Reactions: RothMatt

The NLWC event was $10. It had Zane, Snyder, Nickal, Ringwr, etc.

I don’t think $30 is too much in a vacuum, but comparatively it seems high.

$30 may seem steep, but let’s wait and see the match ups first.

Lee Vs Suriano would be worth a 30 spot and if we can see more of the 19/20 National Champions Iowa Hawkeyes(yes I said it) then it will totally be. It will get everyone fired up to defend our title and be back to back champs!

for you pathetic lurking PSU fans who I have all on ignore and will have no clue if you respond. NCAA saved u from getting smoked last year and I don’t care how many people you shirt this year cause Iowa is gonna smoke you no matter who you wrestled.

Last edited:
For me, I would like to see Lee vs Fix or Gilman. Either one of those would light it on fire and be a huge draw.

I am guessing we’ll see Lee, Eierman, Lugo, Brooks, Moody and Clark....hope a Marinelli or Kemerer. Kemerer vs Hall would be sweet. They mentioned “beyond” so I think they might get Lee a foreign guy...maybe a Japanese guy?

Brooks has that miniFlo tourney so we might not see him.

Not holding my breath on any lee vs. fix type matches or similar level wrestlers competing against each other

Does anyone have experience with how many "buys"something like this might get?

For me, I would like to see Lee vs Fix or Gilman. Either one of those would light it on fire and be a huge draw.

I am guessing we’ll see Lee, Eierman, Lugo, Brooks, Moody and Clark....hope a Marinelli or Kemerer. Kemerer vs Hall would be sweet. They mentioned “beyond” so I think they might get Lee a foreign guy...maybe a Japanese guy?

Brooks has that miniFlo tourney so we might not see him.

I'm hoping we get to see Lugo against another quality opponent. I was very impressed with his match against Pletcher. Would really like to see either him(or Eierman) vs McKenna.

Kem/Hall round 3 would indeed be sweet. I have always thought a IMar/Kem match-up would be quite interesting as well.

I-Mar is recovering from surgery I believe and at this point he’s a step or three ahead of Kem in freestyle. He took a freakin match from Burroughs last year!

Reactions: pumpdog20
Does anyone have experience with how many "buys"something like this might get?

Not counting prior subscribers of Rokfin, it basically looks like the NLWC event got about 5k (at $9.99 for a month of Rokfin)

You get way more for a dual ticket. For PPV, you get to see good wrestling, but you miss on the atmosphere. I don't see how that helps your argument at all because you're getting less for a higher price.

Could definitely be wrong, but that was just my first reaction to the price. It seems high compared to some of the other events that have been happening. Now, if they have great lineup, maybe that calculation changes, but frankly, HWC doesn't currently have a ton of top dogs. NLWC has way bigger names currently and their event was cheaper and you got a whole month of Rokfin content on top of it. If I wasn't a hawk fan, I don't think I would even consider shelling out $30 (unless there is a Lee v. Gilman match).

The atmosphere is a thing but that's not an option at this time. So, when I think about what I would have paid or experienced to attend: time savings, hassle savings, cost savings, etc. it really piles up. My cost is $100 easy to attend an Iowa dual. So if this is a great event for Iowa fans--and there's every reason to believe it will be--$30 is hardly a poor value, especially when you consider this is also a fundraiser.

At the end of the day, value is in the eye of the beholder, of course. For instance, I know nothing about the NLWC event nor would I have much interest in it. Rofkin's involvement makes me less interested, not more. ;-)

BTW, I have pretty low expectations for matchups. I doubt we are going to see wrestlers travel great distances for this event. Would be happy to be wrong.

The atmosphere is a thing but that's not an option at this time. So, when I think about what I would have paid or experienced to attend: time savings, hassle savings, cost savings, etc. it really piles up. My cost is $100 easy to attend an Iowa dual. So if this is a great event for Iowa fans--and there's every reason to believe it will be--$30 is hardly a poor value, especially when you consider this is also a fundraiser.

At the end of the day, value is in the eye of the beholder, of course. For instance, I know nothing about the NLWC event nor would I have much interest in it. Rofkin's involvement makes me less interested, not more. ;-)

BTW, I have pretty low expectations for matchups. I doubt we are going to see wrestlers travel great distances for this event. Would be happy to be wrong.
This is exactly my point about the price though. You weren't interested in the NLWC event and it had more matches and was 1/3rd of the price. I don't think we're going to see many non-hawk fans shell out $30 (unless the opponents end up being extremely high level).

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
This is exactly my point about the price though. You weren't interested in the NLWC event and it had more matches and was 1/3rd of the price. I don't think we're going to see many non-hawk fans shell out $30 (unless the opponents end up being extremely high level).

I will likely be buying the HWC event and think Spooner is right about the cost. 2 tickets to a dual, parking, food, travel costs way more than $30.

That said, we’ve seen time and time again that @SPOONER doesn’t really enjoy wrestling all that much. This post is just further evidence.

Assuming that the viewership of the NLWC was indeed 5,000; 2,500 Hawk fans watching the HWC event financially outperforms it by $25,000. If 3,300 Hawk fans watch, that puts $100,000 (minus expenses) in HWC coffers. By the way, $30 is only slightly more than the minimum monthly commitment to the Inner Circle.

I, for one, will be watching.

I agree. I don't know, but suspect, that regular visitors here and Inner Circle members make up a comparatively small group of Hawkeye fans. This needs to be promoted as well as possible. Has facility fund raising reached the level where the Foundation will allow the HWC to reach out to season ticket holders?

Reactions: BELDEEN

Also, how many ppl are having a watch parties? My friends back home will have 10 ppl in a living room. 30/10 = $3/per. This is a steal!

Reactions: Grip220
Assuming that the viewership of the NLWC was indeed 5,000; 2,500 Hawk fans watching the HWC event financially outperforms it by $25,000. If 3,300 Hawk fans watch, that puts $100,000 (minus expenses) in HWC coffers. By the way, $30 is only slightly more than the minimum monthly commitment to the Inner Circle.

Of course, NLWC is also set up for recurring donations with $10/month. Now, some of those subscribers may cancel, but who knows how many. If NLWC posts an interview here and there or some practice videos, they may keep a lot of those subscribers. They may have just created their own inner circle.

Reactions: VansontheMoon44
Of course, NLWC is also set up for recurring donations with $10/month. Now, some of those subscribers may cancel, but who knows how many. If NLWC posts an interview here and there or some practice videos, they may keep a lot of those subscribers. They may have just created their own inner circle.

But NLWC presumably gets paid in a made-up currency, and I would guess a smaller % probably goes to them to begin with since people are signing up for a membership to a website and not a PPV event. Edit: No clue what kind of cut Track takes either though.

Last edited:

I'll be watching too. and i think HWC will make a good chunk of change. you're missing a few details on pay structure between the two formats though. they'd make more on Rokfin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT