ADVERTISEMENT

Hy-Vee to drop up to 500 more corporate-level jobs

And there's the right answer. I get companies want to diversify, capture new revenue sources, and engage / keep captive customers in as many ways as possible - but HyVee has f'd up immensely. None of the shit they've thrown against the wall has stuck. As a matter of fact, it has backfired on them through increased prices in their core product which drives people away. Most everyone I know just wishes HyVee would go back to the way they were. Reasonable prices when compared to the market and a simple food counter.
Here is what I want in a grocery store like Hy-Vee:
  1. Selection
  2. Cleanliness
  3. Excellent prepared foods/baked goods
  4. Fresh quality meat and seafood
  5. Quality deli meats
  6. At least competitive prices, although I am willing to pay a little more for quality and selection
I am also willing to pay a little more for them employing 25% of a town's youths and disabled. All this other stuff is just a waste.

Same link I just posted. If so many Bipartisan attempts are made to end it, I hardly think it's just a Hy-Vee thing. Pretty hard to pass on 100 million to senior citizens although there would be no other option other than go out of business.
My point is that if every vendor has to bear the cost, then it is a cost that gets passed on to the consumer.

Having a "Corporate level" job doesn't mean you are an executive.

For example, I don't know how many accountants Hy-Vee has - could be hundreds. It's likely each store has a couple, and the rest are "Corporate", which simply means the work at HQ. You could be an accounts payable clerk or a low-level marketing employee and still work at corporate.

The corporate HQ in West DM is a pretty big building, plus they probably have people in other buildings in the area or even corporate employees that work in a store somewhere. A company with 93,000 employees could easily have several thousand corporate employees.

Prolly an Assistant Director of Marketing...........and an Assistant To The Director of Marketing

(separate roles) 😉

As others have said, they lost their way. They tried to do too much and seemingly forgot about selling groceries.

They don't need to have massive behemoth stores. Just make grocery stores.
Clothes? Nope
Shoes? Nope
Artisanal soaps? Nope
Fancy makeup? Nope
Restaurant with wait staff? Nope
Pharmacy? Not really needed, or at least consider outsourcing it like when Target sold their pharmacies to CVS.

Sell groceries at a good price, have good service when selling them, and keep your shelves stocked. Do those things and they'd be doing fine. Stop wasting money on massive advertising efforts with expensive celebrities. Stick with the "helpful smile in every aisle" ads that they used for decades. They're throwing so much money away on things that aren't core to their business.

Here is what I want in a grocery store like Hy-Vee:
  1. Selection
  2. Cleanliness
  3. Excellent prepared foods/baked goods
  4. Fresh quality meat and seafood
  5. Quality deli meats
  6. At least competitive prices, although I am willing to pay a little more for quality and selection
I am also willing to pay a little more for them employing 25% of a town's youths and disabled. All this other stuff is just a waste.

#MoreYoungHotChicksInBakedGoodsSection

Sell groceries at a good price, have good service when selling them, and keep your shelves stocked. Do those things and they'd be doing fine.

Yes....but them "marketing beanheads" figure you need to "increase revenues" by offering more niche markets to bring more people it.

But people don't go to HyVee for clothes shopping or restaurant-experience dinners. They go to buy food.

In fact, what probably would have been a much bigger market would have been Hello-Fresh style stuff delivered or for curbside pickup for quick make-at-home options or something. Things that were actual "grocery-adjacent" markets, not things to try to "bring other customers in" who really weren't coming, anyway.

Reactions: Tenacious E
My point is that if every vendor has to bear the cost, then it is a cost that gets passed on to the consumer.
When it is all insurance plans with Co-pays and specific reimbursements the answer is no, the issue is the reimbursements are going lower and fees are increasing.

Some execs love to build bureaucracies. Multiple levels of people that oversea already micromanaged areas. It sort of protects them. Lots of meetings, emails, and colorized graphs and flowcharts.

my guess is a true big shot said “we are selling groceries, it isn’t rocket science, let the store managers do their job “.
Yeah, somebody probably says things like that - but I gotta believe that selling groceries is dam near rocket science. There are millions and millions of possible products that can go into a grocery store and they need to figure out which ones. Store locations, size, configuration, staffing, etc. Then the pricing (regular and sale pricing), resupply and lead times, managing 93k employees, etc. Then on top of that, it's an industry with pretty slim margins on most products due to competition. They have to determine what their customers want and try to put on a competitive price but still have a decent margin.

Incredibly complex business IMO.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yeah, somebody probably says things like that - but I gotta believe that selling groceries is dam near rocket science. There are millions and millions of possible products that can go into a grocery store and they need to figure out which ones. Store locations, size, configuration, staffing, etc. Then the pricing (regular and sale pricing), resupply and lead times, managing 93k employees, etc. Then on top of that, it's an industry with pretty slim margins on most products due to competition. They have to determine what their customers want and try to put on a competitive price but still have a decent margin.

Incredibly complex business IMO.
Almost anything is complex if you start at zero. HyVee has been around for decades. The industry did not evolve at some crazy pace. HyVee F’ed themselves.

this isn’t about they product supply buyers not understanding volumes, selection, slotting allowances or anything along the lines of traditional grocery.

this is about branching out into areas that make zero sense. “ hey honey, I lined up a sitter, you want to go to HyVee for a rare date night?” “After we can go do some of that slow paced clothing and shoe shopping you like to do, also at HyVee”.

lol, no.

When it is all insurance plans with Co-pays and specific reimbursements the answer is no, the issue is the reimbursements are going lower and fees are increasing.
Again, not my gig, but why wouldn't the out of pocket expense for the consumer just be raised? If the co-pay is fixed, and what the pharmacies will be paid by insurers is fixed, and if the consumer demand is fixed in that they need to get the drugs somewhere, then the consumer should pay an increased cost for that drug, right?

Almost anything is complex if you start at zero. HyVee has been around for decades. The industry did not evolve at some crazy pace. HyVee F’ed themselves.

this isn’t about they product supply buyers not understanding volumes, selection, slotting allowances or anything along the lines of traditional grocery.

this is about branching out into areas that make zero sense. “ hey honey, I lined up a sitter, you want to go to HyVee for a rare date night?” “After we can go do some of that slow paced clothing and shoe shopping you like to do, also at HyVee”.

lol, no.
200.gif

Again, not my gig, but why wouldn't the out of pocket expense for the consumer just be raised? If the co-pay is fixed, and what the pharmacies will be paid by insurers is fixed, and if the consumer demand is fixed in that they need to get the drugs somewhere, then the consumer should pay an increased cost for that drug, right?
Let's see Medicaid is a fixed price usually below cost. There is nothing to pass on there. Medicare plans are hit and miss, some pay good premiums others do not. Cash pay although a small market is your most profitable business on a margin stand point, and then they do fairly well on Employee plans but those margins and contracts have gotten much tighter over the years. Generally money is made on the supplements, vitamens and misc. health products.

Let's see Medicaid is a fixed price usually below cost. There is nothing to pass on there. Medicare plans are hit and miss, some pay good premiums others do not. Cash pay although a small market is your most profitable business on a margin stand point, and then they do fairly well on Employee plans but those margins and contracts have gotten much tighter over the years. Generally money is made on the supplements, vitamens and misc. health products.
This is a dumb question but why accept Medicaid at a below cost fixed price unless you are using that as a loss leader as a marketing tool for other sales?

It's not fixed. These fees are collected much later and the amounts are not known. There's just no way to collect it when you dong know how much it's going to be. I think you are misunderstanding how these fees are collected. They are not fixed in any way.

My guess, Hy Vee moves it’s corporate HQ to Nashville .
With what money and what new debt? Sell the corporate building to buy another one? Maybe they can make some margins there but likely not much. I stated before in 2019 into 2020 they had effectively put themselves up for sale. Then the pandemic hit and they had a lot of inventory and anyplace that had inventory was going to sell it- they did really well during that time frame like most grocery stores. However the issues have continued to mount up. They continue to pay an exorbitant amount on advertising, they are wasting money on a racing team. They are trying to sell merchandise a grocery shouldn't. They got a reprieve in 2020 and didn't learn their lessons and change. If anything they continue to go pedal to the metal spending money.

What they have not released is that Hy-Vee is calling back to Des Moines everyone that moved to Southeast U.S. People had sold homes, moved there, some were building houses, and now if they want their job, they are moving back. Their big expansion plans are on hold or canceled.

Reactions: cigaretteman
HA HyVee thinking they can compete with Publix down south is literally laughable…
I have been to Publix and Hy-Vee. They are quite comparable, sans the new silly endeavors of Hy-Vee in the past few years. About the only discernable difference is that Publix's gourment deli meat is Boar's Head, while Hy-Vee's is Dilousso.

lol, no.
LOL. Correct. ^^

They took a gamble and tried to change "who they were"...and it isn't working out well and it didn't seem like a good idea to me when they started "getting fancy".

It is a grocery store...KISS. I used to visit the good 'ol Hy-Vee deli at least once a week. With the new concept of a Market Grille...I go there about 25% as often. And it seems like I am not the only one. The dining room used to be jammed at least for lunch and breakfast...now...plenty of seats available.

Even if you wanted to try that concept...do it in say a dozen markets and see how it goes. Nope...they did it all over the place in a relatively short space of time. I don't wish ill on them, but they are sort of screwed...and they did it to themselves.

They should move back to Chariton. Much lower costs of living there and the city would welcome them back with open arms. Twould do wonders for Lucas County!

It's not fixed. These fees are collected much later and the amounts are not known. There's just no way to collect it when you dong know how much it's going to be. I think you are misunderstanding how these fees are collected. They are not fixed in any way.
Ummmm -- I think I know what I am talking about. Those fees and contracts are signed contracts. You know when you sign them what the fees are going to be. Now I do know some of the fees tripled this year from just 2 years ago. This is for an independent pharmacy. Everything is different whether you are considered a rural pharmacy, a metro pharmacy, independent or chain and how much competition is in the town. I have a better understanding than most regarding the mechanics.

I am talking about recouping from future sales.

Seems to me, like most companies, spreading outside of what got you there is usually a recipe for failure. It’s like Verizon stores attempting to sell auto insurance , maybe sounds good, I mean you have a bunch of captive customer to market to, but it just not gonna work.

They should move back to Chariton. Much lower costs of living there and the city would welcome them back with open arms. Twould do wonders for Lucas County.

This is a dumb question but why accept Medicaid at a below cost fixed price unless you are using that as a loss leader as a marketing tool for other sales?
Because you had always offered it and it use to be a decent margin business when the state ran it. Once the MCO's business took over that has gone down. Now for most pharmacies its a small enough percentage of overall sales it doesn't matter. However in my county that is one of the top medicaid populations, it can be an extremely large amount of your payers.

Yes....but them "marketing beanheads" figure you need to "increase revenues" by offering more niche markets to bring more people it.

But people don't go to HyVee for clothes shopping or restaurant-experience dinners. They go to buy food.

In fact, what probably would have been a much bigger market would have been Hello-Fresh style stuff delivered or for curbside pickup for quick make-at-home options or something. Things that were actual "grocery-adjacent" markets, not things to try to "bring other customers in" who really weren't coming, anyway.
They tried some and it was half baked at best. Des Moines metro had it. Cheap / meh ingredients and recipes but priced similar to the online ones. The curb side stuff they’ve done has been for the MarketGrill now Wahlburgers. Which again is priced around the same as other chain restaurants and the food is/was ok. Zero driving factors to make someone want to go there over their old reliable restaurant

Reactions: Joes Place
Because you had always offered it and it use to be a decent margin business when the state ran it. Once the MCO's business took over that has gone down. Now for most pharmacies its a small enough percentage of overall sales it doesn't matter. However in my county that is one of the top medicaid populations, it can be an extremely large amount of your payers.
tumblr_p3g6dhdpka1rlbc16o9_400.gif

I am talking about recouping from future sales.
I think that would be extremely difficult. How would you know how much to charge. How would you suddenly jack up prices on seniors and not lose business. I get what you're saying as far as passing the costs along. Especially if every pharmacy had to do it. I just don't think they can know enough about how much they need to cover. I don't know though. I don't work in that part of the business. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I am just learning about these fees.

There are plenty of people that love to criticize and laugh at individuals or companies
that take risks or gambles and it doesn't work out. I really don't understand why. People love to say " well I knew that wouldn't work and act like they "know it all".
These are people that wouldn't take a chance on something come hell or high water.

HyVee is trying to rectify their mistake and it will take time. Of course maybe they can't correct things for the better. Sometimes mistakes take you down.

This country is really getting into a tough environment for businesses. Hell is coming for some.

When did HyVee start removing full service meat departments from smaller stores? I visited my hometown last fall and went to HyVee. I noticed the meat department was all prepackaged products.

lol, no.
I wonder. Granted, I'm in the CR area, not a big market, but I haven't seen anything outlandish at the local Hy-Vees. Maybe you're right - they got away from their market and lost money. But if that were true they could simply eliminate those activities to cut their losses.

On the other hand, if competition is eating (pun intended) into their market share, you can't just change that with a few changes. It doesn't seem that long ago that if you wanted to buy groceries in this area, you went to HyVee ... end of story. Sure, there were some weak competitors. Now we have Fareway, Aldi, WalMart, Target, Dollar General - all taking a piece of the pie.

There are plenty of people that love to criticize and laugh at individuals or companies
that take risks or gambles and it doesn't work out. I really don't understand why. People love to say " well I knew that wouldn't work and act like they "know it all".
These are people that wouldn't take a chance on something come hell or high water.

HyVee is trying to rectify their mistake and it will take time. Of course maybe they can't correct things for the better. Sometimes mistakes take you down.

This country is really getting into a tough environment for businesses. Hell is coming for some.
Good post - and remember, Hy Vee is 100% employee owned. So, those chuckling at Hy Vee's misfortunes should consider that as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT