ADVERTISEMENT

Hydrogen energy - Derp de derp

Toyota bet big on Hydrogen. A hydrogen car is now available. Strangely, they also seemed to have cracked the solid-state battery code.

Three hydrogen tanks. Errrr uhhhh...0-60 in...................9.2 seconds.

MIR_MY21_0006_V001

MIR_MY21_0020_V001-1

MIR_MY21_0030_V001

He's not wrong, although he seems to think those are insurmountable problems. He might be right. I think we have plenty of water, provided you aren't living in a desert region. I suppose using salt water is problematic, you'd have to distill it first. Ultimately, if you use clean energy to get the energy to create hydrogen from water then it still is clean, although it probably is still inefficient.

I never got the "Hydrogen is dangerous" reason though. Of course it is. So is gasoline, but we have no issues pipeline or transporting that all over the place.

He's not wrong, although he seems to think those are insurmountable problems. He might be right. I think we have plenty of water, provided you aren't living in a desert region. I suppose using salt water is problematic, you'd have to distill it first. Ultimately, if you use clean energy to get the energy to create hydrogen from water then it still is clean, although it probably is still inefficient.

I never got the "Hydrogen is dangerous" reason though. Of course it is. So is gasoline, but we have no issues pipeline or transporting that all over the place.

Key takeaway.

"The reason hydrogen is being pushed is because it requires effort to make. You can charge for effort. Hard to charge for wind/solar above maintenance"

This statement by him is beyond stupid. MOST energy requires "effort" to make.
Wind farms and solar farms require effort to make.

Uh...how is water "not easy to come by", when 3/4ths of the Earth is covered by it?

I agree with some of this guy's statements, but he's a bit off here with others.

I can’t tell if you are being serious. Are you under the impression that desalinating salt water is not energy intensive? Link?

Reactions: NCHawk5
I can’t tell if you are being serious. Are you under the impression that desalinating salt water is not energy intensive? Link?

No; I'm telling you that salt water is plentiful.

And that the claims by your link that somehow "solar and wind energy" are "free" in comparison is utter bunk.

Uh...how is water "not easy to come by", when 3/4ths of the Earth is covered by it?

I agree with some of this guy's statements, but he's a bit off here with others.
I have to think this guy lives in southern california or Arizona where water issues are pretty high on the list of issues right now. I could see how a view could become a bit distorted by that. But the solution is to not produce hydrogen in the middle of a fricken desert.

No; I'm telling you that salt water is plentiful.

And that the claims by your link that somehow "solar and wind energy" are "free" in comparison is utter bunk.

Oh okay. So you do understand that water that you can actually use for creating hydrogen is not plentiful. Good thing you aren’t being obtuse.

ADVERTISEMENT